Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:31 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Just redid a couple bookings for a lower net price:
- Booking for self + 2: Discount applied to all 3 tickets
- Booking for 2 others and I'm not traveling: Discount applied to both tickets

Unfortunately "Change flights" on delta.com doesn't let you select your existing flight nor did it appear to include the discount on other flights that it did show. Didn't try to do this via changing flights on the app, mostly because a week ago when I tried to do so and select the same flight it appeared to let me do so but then just errored out.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by kpbadger

Unfortunately "Change flights" on delta.com doesn't let you select your existing flight nor did it appear to include the discount on other flights that it did show. Didn't try to do this via changing flights on the app, mostly because a week ago when I tried to do so and select the same flight it appeared to let me do so but then just errored out.
I now have more than 50 charges of $5.60 sitting pending on my Amex with the same amount due back in refunds over the next week.
StSebastian likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by kpbadger

That is not correct, I did a ticket change and it included the discount on all other flights. I also double checked this separately afterwards.
happydad100 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
That is not correct, I did a ticket change and it included the discount on all other flights. I also double checked this separately afterwards.
I closely looked at all my 30+ SM bookings and played around with changes. For those flights booked today with the 15% discount yes you can make a change and take advantage of the 15% discount. But all the flights booked prior to today without the 15% discount cannot be changed to take advantage of the 15% discount. That’s why I had to cancel and rebook from scratch all of my SM bookings into late December/23.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
In case anyone is wondering, the 15% off does still apply if you are booking for another person using your miles, and that other person doesn't have a Delta Amex. Essentially, the 15% discount is based on the account having the miles and the card - not the whether or not the flyer has a Delta Amex.
Deleted. I misread your comment. I agree with what you wrote. Richard

Last edited by happydad100; Feb 2, 2023 at 6:02 pm
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I closely looked at all my 30+ SM bookings and played around with changes. For those flights booked today with the 15% discount yes you can make a change and take advantage of the 15% discount. But all the flights booked prior to today without the 15% discount cannot be changed to take advantage of the 15% discount. That’s why I had to cancel and rebook from scratch all of my SM bookings into late December/23.
Correct, good clarification.
happydad100 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
They can't really devalue awards much more or they would be getting down to Pay with Miles level at 1.0 CPM and basically make them pointless (why redeem at less than 1.0 CPM when you can get 1.0 CPM with Pay with Miles?). The pattern they put in place with dynamic award levels is to generally price them in 1.1 - 1.2 CPM range with some exceptions and outliers (at times found with web specials listings or their 48 hour award fare sales).
I have a suspicion that Delta will make all Skymiles awards worth 1 CPM in the not-too-distant future. This 15% AMEX redemption benefit will help, but I am not optimistic. The timing is rather strange. AMEX must be rolling in DL card signups and other cards with Delta benefits (look at the Delta Sky Clubs). Hopefully my suspicion is just bad dream, but Delta Skymiles has delivered worse surprises than some of my old bad dreams.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:27 pm

Is this discount only available for Delta metal flights?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
Is this discount only available for Delta metal flights?
Yes. Any partner results in 100% SM not 85%. Same with PWM which can only be used on strictly DL flights.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:57 pm

It was tedious but I saved a fair number of miles today. In some cases the full 15%, in some cases ~5% (since the price had increased since initial booking). It added up to about 50K miles saved.

Not bad.
Spiff, happydad100, pbjag and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta
Amex 15% of a HUGE benefit

As the steady devaluation of points continues, and Delta’s website for at least international destinations reiects fares they show left and right, this at least helps stem the tide a wee bit. Saved a HUGE bunch of miles on a ticket which by most measures should have been well under 400,000 (booking Delta One). One of a number of very nice perks one gets for an admittedly expensive card!
happydad100 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ebertsj
As the steady devaluation of points continues, and Delta’s website for at least international destinations reiects fares they show left and right, this at least helps stem the tide a wee bit. Saved a HUGE bunch of miles on a ticket which by most measures should have been well under 400,000 (booking Delta One). One of a number of very nice perks one gets for an admittedly expensive card!
60,000 SM you saved more than pays the full annual fee for the Reserve card and more than 2 annual fees for the Platinum.
pbjag likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, there does look to have been a bump up in D1 prices post promo. BOS-LHR had been going for as low as 148K miles roundtrip for D1 a week ago, and now starts at 220K miles roundtrip. JFK-MAD had been available from 230K miles roundtrip, but now starts at 290K roundtrip.

Not really seeing much difference for coach domestic at this point. For example, roundtrip DTW-SEA awards starts at 26K miles (before discount) in Main Cabin and revenue Main cabin roundtrip V fares start at $348 (roughly 1.3 CPM).
smartytravel likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
Unfortunately, there does look to have been a bump up in D1 prices post promo. BOS-LHR had been going for as low as 148K miles roundtrip for D1 a week ago, and now starts at 220K miles roundtrip. JFK-MAD had been available from 230K miles roundtrip, but now starts at 290K roundtrip.

Not really seeing much difference for coach domestic at this point. For example, roundtrip DTW-SEA awards starts at 26K miles (before discount) in Main Cabin and revenue Main cabin roundtrip V fares start at $348 (roughly 1.3 CPM).
Plenty that I've rebooked went down in price since a few months ago, and several that I left have gone up. But it's also possible that increased bookings since the promo have meant increased demand and therefore increased pricing.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Plenty that I've rebooked went down in price since a few months ago, and several that I left have gone up. But it's also possible that increased bookings since the promo have meant increased demand and therefore increased pricing.
Well, depending on when you are going, there can be a number of variables based on demand and bucket availability. It's also not clear how recently they loaded these new award levels (could have been this morning).

I'm specifically looking at cheapest award buckets vs. cheapest revenue fares in order to do an apples to apples comparison. I have checked revenue fare filings also on routes and EF shows no new fare filings (based on backdated searches). BOS-LHR D1 revenue Z fares start at $2274 roundtrip and 220K roundtrip low-level OZ awards are actually less than 1 CPM (after accounting for taxes) in value at that price. JFK-MAD Z fares start at $2986 roundtrip which is around 1.0 CPM at 290K miles roundtrip with OZ award levels (taxes/fees are only $49 on this route). Again, both of these routes were considerably cheaper for OZ awards (148K and 230K miles) last week.

I'm seeing increases on other routes too. Hub hostage routes out of DTW, ATL, MSP had been around 380K - 390K miles for OZ roundtrip awards to many EU destinations. These are now mostly in the 420K - 440K range which is roughly 1 CPM on many of them. Coach TATL awards still look to be better than 1 CPM generally.
happydad100 and spongenotbob like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 3, 2023 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.