Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Hidden-city ticketing on awards can be dangerous as DL can just seize the additional miles anytime after you have completed travel. On revenue tickets DL cannot do this.
Its being sold by the DL website, not something being sneakily pieced together using a 3rd party booking system. If DL sells the ticket, then there is no reason they should be coming after you later.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL award pricing has basically been at 1.1 - 1.2 CPM domestically for several years now.
You know this is simply not true. It took me 15 SECONDS to find an example of a trip that is available for 18,000 SkyMiles that has a cash rate of $360. I am not saying there aren't some terrible redemption rates and PWM is in fact the best deal.

This entire thread is exactly what is wrong with FT.....turning a big positive into a negative.
hi55us, DLHubber, DTWout and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta PM
Would the 15% still apply if we book an award flight for someone else? Or does the flight need to be flown by the cardholder?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Crossinator
Would the 15% still apply if we book an award flight for someone else? Or does the flight need to be flown by the cardholder?
No way of knowing until/if it actually launches.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
You know this is simply not true. It took me 15 SECONDS to find an example of a trip that is available for 18,000 SkyMiles that has a cash rate of $360. I am not saying there aren't some terrible redemption rates and PWM is in fact the best deal.

This entire thread is exactly what is wrong with FT.....turning a big positive into a negative.
Yes, there can be outliers (and as I noted above, long haul awards originating in Mexico/Caribbean look to have largely been untouched by recent changes). But these look to be increasingly rare. You don't mention route, but Caribbean/international destinations can carry significant taxes on awards which distort true CPM value (you have to subtract out taxes assessed on award from revenue price if you want a truer CPM comparison).
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2023 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Probably means there will be an annual fee hike soon as well but if not this is a good development considering the Reserve has the worst earning rates of any card (1x on basically everything except DL purchases).
do people actually put spend on this card? this is one you get for the benefits, not the earnings. The companion cert alone is worth the AF.
findark likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
do people actually put spend on this card? this is one you get for the benefits, not the earnings. The
companion cert alone is worth the AF.
Every second January I pay the IRS $245,000 plus a 1.89% fee on my Reserve card and immediately file a tax return for a refund. I get 1.5 SM on the amount over $150,000 plus 60,000 MQMs plus 2 FC companion certs. Then I put the card in a drawer for 2 years. This gives me 2 years of DM status but CBs only every second year. This has been the best way for me to maintain my DM status and not having to stress over getting 40,000 MQDs (20,000 MQDs per year).

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 24, 2023 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Tonyh120
That's true on the business Amex Delta Reserve card. Is it also true on the consumer card?
Business version only, but both earn rates are a joke.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Would be interesting. I am currently short on SkyMiles after using them on redemptions to Hawaii, then upgrading using certificates. I also used them on other various economy redemptions in 2022. Given you earn MQM on award tickets I’ve been using SkyMiles more frequently. JFK to
LAX, then waitlisting an RUC, good use of SkyMiles. Even better if you pay 15% less.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:25 am

do people actually put spend on this card?
Of course? I put anything on it that doesn't get an extra multiplier on the Platinum card.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Yes, there can be outliers (and as I noted above, long haul awards originating in Mexico/Caribbean look to have largely been untouched by recent changes). But these look to be increasingly rare. You don't mention route, but Caribbean/international destinations can carry significant taxes on awards which distort true CPM value (you have to subtract out taxes assessed on award from revenue price if you want a truer CPM comparison).
I looked at domestic. Specifically, Florida.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting. I downgraded my Business Reserve card to Platinum since I already have SkyClub access through the regular AmEx Platinum. But might consider upgrading back to Reserve if this benefit was added.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
I looked at domestic. Specifically, Florida.
Okay, let's see your example. Here's one I picked at random for DTW-FLL (roundtrip 1/31 - 2/8). Accounting for $12 award fee, I get

Basic Economy -- 1.14 CPM
Main Cabin -- 1.12 CPM
Comfort+ -- 1.12 CPM
First Class -- 1.10 CPM

Granted, you can do somewhat better (1.2 - 1.3 CPM) on connecting itins due to the revenue fares having higher taxes (PFC, segments taxes) on connecting itins which get waived on award redemptions.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2023 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:53 am

Okay, let's see your example. Here's one I picked at random for DTW-FLL (roundtrip 1/31 - 2/8). Accounting for $12 award fee, I get

Basic Economy -- 1.14 CPM
Main Cabin -- 1.12 CPM
Comfort+ -- 1.12 CPM
First Class -- 1.10 CPM

Granted, you can do somewhat better (1.2 - 1.3 CPM) on connecting itins due to the revenue fares having higher taxes (PFC, segments taxes) on connecting itins which get waived on award redemptions.
Pic removed
You have to shop for it. Here is one international (non-Caribbean or Latam) with Comfort+ coming to over 1.58CPM, with the $91 included in the calculation.

Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:59 am

do people actually put spend on this card? this is one you get for the benefits, not the earnings. The companion cert alone is worth the AF.
If you want the MQM boost - you better put money on it

With a 125,000 welcome points and 15% OFF, I am seriously considering getting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.