Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

15% off all SkyMiles awards for Amex cardholder

Old Mar 8, 23, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Mama
This is indeed a clever hack. Although Amex is a charge card (no credit limit), I doubt I can charge that kind of amount in one transaction on my Amex. I have never charged anything close to that amount so I don't really know.
I do it in $25,000 increments. Charge $25k pay it off immediately. 10 times. Your DM status expires 1/31 so you have the whole month to do this.
Old Mar 8, 23, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I do it in $25,000 increments. Charge $25k pay it off immediately. 10 times. Your DM status expires 1/31 so you have the whole month to do this.
These days with short term t-bills paying about 4% it adds quite a bit of cost to this approach when you have to wait 3 to 4 or even more months to get your refund. It was a better deal when interest rates where near zero. You have to have quite a bit of cash to do this and now you are giving up real money in addition to the credit card fees. You also have to deal with the restrictions on the payment websites to two payments per quarter. Just pointing out some of the additional gotchas with doing this.
Old Mar 8, 23, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
These days with short term t-bills paying about 4% it adds quite a bit of cost to this approach when you have to wait 3 to 4 or even more months to get your refund. It was a better deal when interest rates where near zero. You have to have quite a bit of cash to do this and now you are giving up real money in addition to the credit card fees. You also have to deal with the restrictions on the payment websites to two payments per quarter. Just pointing out some of the additional gotchas with doing this.
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to have a large amount of cash sitting around for the float involved here. People might have the funds in stocks/ETFs, but then you'd have to potentially pay cap gains taxes to cash them out. If you are relatively house rich, I guess you could do a short term HELOC to finance this which would limit costs, but it still wouldn't be zero. Definitely not for everyone.
Old Mar 8, 23, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mama
Although Amex is a charge card (no credit limit),
Misinformed. Try again.
Old Mar 8, 23, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Has anyone else found that it doesn't matter what card you pay with? (I have bought multiple flights with my Platinum card and still received the discount.)

Of course perhaps I should have used my Delta card to avoid any clawbacks. It's not like the 5x points are worth the risk for a charge of $5.60 in taxes.
Old Mar 8, 23, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkcj
Has anyone else found that it doesn't matter what card you pay with? (I have bought multiple flights with my Platinum card and still received the discount.)

Of course perhaps I should have used my Delta card to avoid any clawbacks. It's not like the 5x points are worth the risk for a charge of $5.60 in taxes.
There's no requirement you need to actually use your DL Amex card to purchase the awards. The DL Amex first bag free checked luggage benefit also does not require you purchase ticket with your DL Amex card (it will be applied to any DL operated and marketed flight with your name and Skymiles number on it).
Old Mar 23, 23, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can't get the discount

I booked a ticket for a friend(non member), for 59,000 miles. The total showed 50,100 after 15% member discount. I used the DL Gold card to charge it but I was still charged the 59K. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I called in but they were no help.
Old Mar 24, 23, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by JamesHNL
I booked a ticket for a friend(non member), for 59,000 miles. The total showed 50,100 after 15% member discount. I used the DL Gold card to charge it but I was still charged the 59K. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I called in but they were no help.
You have to be logged in as an Amex cardholder to get the discount. If the booking takes too long you can be logged out. Cancel the booking and redo it.
Old Mar 26, 23, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xliioper
There's no requirement you need to actually use your DL Amex card to purchase the awards. The DL Amex first bag free checked luggage benefit also does not require you purchase ticket with your DL Amex card (it will be applied to any DL operated and marketed flight with your name and Skymiles number on it).
Unlike (I think) with that benefit, though, the terms do specifically say you must pay with the card:
Discount only applies to the mileage portion of the Award Ticket fare and does not apply to applicable taxes and fees which must be paid using the Eligible Card.
(BTW, I love the Delta baggage fee waiver vs. the United one for that very reason. Of course I'm sure it is, in part, because Amex knows much of the value of the platinum comes from the 5x on flights.)
Old Apr 19, 23, 11:15 pm

Programs: SkyPesos
Do folks think its worth it to keep/sign-up the Delta Amex Gold just for Takeoff 15 ($99 AF) if one keeps it as a drawer card and has no need for checked bag?

I suppose one would have to redeem at least one award ticket each year and ensure that the 15% miles savings exceeds $99?

I have a DL Amex Plat. now and I'm trying to decide if I should cancel it or downgrade to DL Gold (or cancel and sign-up for Gold for the sign-on bonus)
Old Apr 20, 23, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Do folks think its worth it to keep/sign-up the Delta Amex Gold just for Takeoff 15 ($99 AF) if one keeps it as a drawer card and has no need for checked bag?

I suppose one would have to redeem at least one award ticket each year and ensure that the 15% miles savings exceeds $99?

I have a DL Amex Plat. now and I'm trying to decide if I should cancel it or downgrade to DL Gold (or cancel and sign-up for Gold for the sign-on bonus)
In my mind, $99 is about the value of 9000 miles. You'd have to book 60K worth of SkyMiles flights a year to come out even with the 15% if you don't use any other benefits of the card.

Personally, I need a Delta card for the MQD waiver anyway.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Apr 20, 23, 9:59 am

Programs: SkyPesos
Originally Posted by josephstern
In my mind, $99 is about the value of 9000 miles. You'd have to book 60K worth of SkyMiles flights a year to come out even with the 15% if you don't use any other benefits of the card.

Personally, I need a Delta card for the MQD waiver anyway.
Good point. Thank you. Fortunately I don't need the MQD waiver since business travel easily satisfies it. I guess cancellation it is
Old Apr 21, 23, 7:54 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Good point. Thank you. Fortunately I don't need the MQD waiver since business travel easily satisfies it. I guess cancellation it is
I'm in a similar situation to you and got a Gold card for the same reason. 90% of my travel is business, which is paid F/J and hit the $20k MQDs relatively easily. That 10% of personal travel though? I'm spoiled now and have to sit up front...so I use miles. 15% off MORE makes up for the $95. It's waived the first year, so try it out and see what you think.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Apr 22, 23, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Is it required to use the Amex card for the taxes? I didn't notice that requirement and booked a ticket with the taxes on a Visa. Anyone have any trouble with that?
Old Apr 22, 23, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Is it required to use the Amex card for the taxes? I didn't notice that requirement and booked a ticket with the taxes on a Visa. Anyone have any trouble with that?
Amex companion tickets must be paid for with any Amex. Award ticket taxes can be paid for with any credit card (even with the 15% Amex discount).

Search this Thread