DL’s 75S strategy is…odd

Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Magnum9
I hear you and agree, but there’s a fairly active thread in the DL forum about recent celebrity sightings on DL flights. Most recently there was a post about Prince Harry on their JFK-LAX flight. You’d be shocked at
how much those with immense wealth and even royalty in their blood fly commercial, albeit the most premium cabin available on the flight.

When Price William and Kate, Princess of Wales came to Boston recently they flew BA F as opposed to private.
Some of that is appearances. You can't (well, shouldn't) champion about saving the environment and conserving fossil fuels while flying private around the world. That BA jet was going to BOS without or without the Wales', so the extra carbon footprint would be nil. I would like to believe it was altruistic.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I ended up on one of these ATL-RDU two weeks ago. Now that RDU-CDG is a 767-300, and Delta is running a 767-300 ATL-RDU-CDG-RDU-ATL to make it work, it was certainly a surprise.

Of course at the time I was a mere PM on an L Fare so I was something like 11th on the upgrade list and the flat beds hardly mattered to me.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
I still can't process why they aren't running 757s of any config into places like CMH but ATL-ORF and -RIC are getting them.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on one next Sunday. Got my fingers crossed for the upgrade Hub-to-hub though, so I probably shouldn't be too confident as a Plat.

Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The 75S also has the quirk of 35DEF - marketed as Main Cabin but near infinite legroom.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I'm not sure this is specific to the 75S, but as a SEA-based flyer, a lot of my routes that used to utilize one version of the 757 or another (SEA-MSP, SEA-DTW, SEA-MCO, SEA-JFK, SEA-HNL/OGG/LIH) are now being flown on the A321neo and even the 739. I've only flown about 8 segments thus far in 2023, but I've not been on a 757 yet, which is unusual. I think Delta's strategy is to start utilizing all variants of the aging 757 on the lower-demand and non hub-hub routes you mentioned, likely due to the proliferation of both the 321neo and just the standard 321. I definitely miss the D1 seat option on routes such as SEA-JFK, but hopefully the 321neo is outfitted with a lie flat seat at some point in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I ended up on one of these ATL-RDU two weeks ago. Now that RDU-CDG is a 767-300, and Delta is running a 767-300 ATL-RDU-CDG-RDU-ATL to make it work, it was certainly a surprise.

Of course at the time I was a mere PM on an L Fare so I was something like 11th on the upgrade list and the flat beds hardly mattered to me.
Meanwhile I somehow got stuck on a 738 tonight on RDU - ATL. At least it was a refurbished on -- but still sad to miss both the 752 and the 763 that are apparently popping up on this route right now
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I'm not sure this is specific to the 75S, but as a SEA-based flyer, a lot of my routes that used to utilize one version of the 757 or another … are now being flown on the A321neo and even the 739.
the entire 757 family has been an endangered species in SEA for about the last five years … maybe 1x 753 DTW/ATL, 1x 757 ATL/HNL/MCO, 1x 75S (2x on a good day) JFK/BOS; otherwise *WAY* too many 739s (and now 321s)

I don’t have high expectations for seeing the A321 with lie-flats on anything but 1x JFK
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by JSprague24
I still can't process why they aren't running 757s of any config into places like CMH but ATL-ORF and -RIC are getting them.
Not sure I understand what the question is. Is CMH more deserving? I don't think DL ops ranks cities by worthiness and gives the 757s to the cities at the top of the list.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The 75S also has the quirk of 35DEF - marketed as Main Cabin but near infinite legroom.
Originally these weren't even marked as preferred, though eventually that changed.

I'll miss the 75S (75E before that)... I flew lots of TCONs to SFO and LAX on that fleet, plus some random TATLs (KEF, BRU, DUB) etc. My very first FO qualifying flight was on a 75E flying FRA-JFK in 36D. These days I mostly find them on JFK-ATL...
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed that DL has a 75S in storage in the desert. Specifically, N713TW. Wouldn’t these be the perfect size plane to operate routes like SLC-OGG or SEA-KOA or SEA-LIH to offer D1 service to smaller Hawaiian markets that still command premium fares?

I wonder why that specific frame hasn’t flown since March ‘21?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N713TW
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Magnum9
Just noticed that DL has a 75S in storage in the desert. Specifically, N713TW. Wouldn’t these be the perfect size plane to operate routes like SLC-OGG or SEA-KOA or SEA-LIH to offer D1 service to smaller Hawaiian markets that still command premium fares?

I wonder why that specific frame hasn’t flown since March ‘21?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N713TW
My guess would be that it is possible that this plane was due for a heavy maintenance C or D check and DL decided that it wasn't cost effective to do so.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
My guess would be that it is possible that this plane was due for a heavy maintenance C or D check and DL decided that it wasn't cost effective to do so.
It'll come out eventually, N624AG is also parked, and has been for a while. They are still the younger birds and will likely return to the active fleet eventually.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I definitely miss the D1 seat option on routes such as SEA-JFK, but hopefully the 321neo is outfitted with a lie flat seat at some point in the future.
This is my biggest complaint about the Delta route network as a SEA-based flyer. I miss lie-flat D1 to JFK (which I do somewhat often), and really hope it comes back. At this point DL seems to be charging significantly more than AS/UA/AA for the same product, and more than B6 which has an infinitely superior product to flying a redeye on a 737.

I've even considered doing SEA-SFO-JFK just to be able to sleep and not feel like I lost 20 IQ points for an entire day. Ugh.
Daitheflu84 likes this.

Last edited by manacit; Feb 6, 2023 at 10:54 pm
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Someone at Delta thinks their A321neo product beats the 75S, and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I think the new 321neo seating and configuration is actively worse than even other narrowbodies - it’s shiny, but wildly uncomfortable.

I wish they’d put the 75S back on premium transcons, but I guess those days are well and truly over now. When the flatbed equipped 321s arrive, I expect them to dabble in long and thin TATLs rather than restoring comfortable seating to the likes of SEA-BOS/JFK.
dw and Daitheflu84 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.