Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange Situation - lost iPad and laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Situation - lost iPad and laptop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Let's be honest. The OP failed to maintain control of his laptop. It's unlikely the FA went out of their way to hijack his laptop from around his leg. None of us were there, including (consciously) the OP, so we're all just guessing about the position of the laptop when it was removed. The likelihood, though, is that the laptop wasn't between the OP and the window, or clearly stashed beneath a seat when it was removed. It was more likely out of a reasonable position, to the degree that the FA thought it had been left by someone else.

If I were the OP, I'd be happy I got it back, and wouldn't be trying to wrangle the situation for a few more frequent flyer miles.

I left a laptop in security once, and got it back a week later on my return. Another time I left a kindle in a seatback, I figured it out on my next flight, but never saw it again. Sometimes you just get lucky. It's better to recognize that.
I took about 60 flights last year and I have the same exact routine when I can’t fit my briefcase underneath the seat (which is about half the time). I knew where it was because it was within a few inches of my foot where it always is. And I am not trying to get more from Delta. In fact, if you looked at my posts in this thread, you would see I said (and my wife thinks) that no further compensation was warranted, but was curious if I was thinking about it the right way.

Don’t put words in my mouth.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:27 pm

If it was next to your feet and they removed it I don't see how they even did it without waking you up. But I think they should have asked someone if it was theirs. I'd want way more than $200 and 5000 miles.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by gusgrissom1
If it was next to your feet and they removed it I don't see how they even did it without waking you up. But I think they should have asked someone if it was theirs. I'd want way more than $200 and 5000 miles.

I agree.

I hope OP gets all of his costs back. He is being really nice about the situation; a lot of people would be irate.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by esc2476
I took about 60 flights last year and I have the same exact routine when I can’t fit my briefcase underneath the seat (which is about half the time). I knew where it was because it was within a few inches of my foot where it always is. And I am not trying to get more from Delta. In fact, if you looked at my posts in this thread, you would see I said (and my wife thinks) that no further compensation was warranted, but was curious if I was thinking about it the right way.
Yet here we are. And, like any other question about Delta compensation on this site, some folks agree with you and I, and some think you should put the thumbscrews to Delta, as they always do, because "they're the enemy". They're not the enemy. They're our travel partner. So we all have some level of responsibility for our travel experience.

I wasn't trying to beat you up, so sorry if it came across that way. I was just pointing out that the Delta flight attendant probably wasn't going out of her way to make your life miserable, so something likely seemed out of place with regards to your laptop. If you're a deep sleeper, maybe it would be better to put the laptop in an overhead bin. Just something to think about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.