Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club access with reserve card for DL-ticketed, but not DL-operated or -marketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club access with reserve card for DL-ticketed, but not DL-operated or -marketed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Question Sky Club access with reserve card for DL-ticketed, but not DL-operated or -marketed

Title says it. Will I have access to the lounge on a DL-ticketed, but not DL-marketed or operated flight? For example, you can book DL award tickets where LATAM is both the marketer and operator.

Delta's website says "Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members have complimentary access to the Delta Sky Club when traveling on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight." Ticketed is not mentioned.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pragmaticpandy
Title says it. Will I have access to the lounge on a DL-ticketed, but not DL-marketed or operated flight? For example, you can book DL award tickets where LATAM is both the marketer and operator.

Delta's website says "Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members have complimentary access to the Delta Sky Club when traveling on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight." Ticketed is not mentioned.
Class of travel?
Status?
Benefits from an airline branded credit card and real status can be different.
Look here-->https://www.delta.com/us/en/airline-partners/latam
And-->https://latampass.latam.com/en_us/as...elta-air-lines

Awards are almost always prime airline marketed. Very very unusual to be a codeshare.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:01 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
You will not get Reserve-based access unless your flight is either DL-operated or DL-marketed. I agree this creates an odd situation with partner-operated award tickets, where it's not possible to book DL-marketed flights.

Since you have the Reserve, you can buy a single visit pass for $50 when flying on flights that don't match the criteria.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Class of travel?
Status?
Benefits from an airline branded credit card and real status can be different.
Look here-->.
And-->.

Awards are almost always prime airline marketed. Very very unusual to be a codeshare.
Main cabin, Platinum
I actually have one of these booked, 006 ticket, LA-marketed and operated from JFK to Lima.
I realize I may have access as a Platinum, because Platinum gets me LATAM lounge access, and the Sky Club is LATAM's lounge at JFK. Is this right? Regardless, I'm still interested in the original question of whether the reserve card alone is enough.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
You will not get Reserve-based access unless your flight is either DL-operated or DL-marketed. I agree this creates an odd situation with partner-operated award tickets, where it's not possible to book DL-marketed flights.

Since you have the Reserve, you can buy a single visit pass for $50 when flying on flights that don't match the criteria.
Or just book a same-day dummy domestic DL ticket within 3 hours of your anticipated SC entry time and then cancel it after you get free SC access. The pending flight charge will simply drop off your credit card statement within 5 days.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
I got into a "discussion" with a SkyClub manager last year when I had a DL-issued ticket that was rebooked onto an AS flight due to a flight cancellation, and they wouldn't let me in since I wasn't flying on a DL-operated/marketed flight anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:04 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by pragmaticpandy
Main cabin, Platinum
I actually have one of these booked, 006 ticket, LA-marketed and operated from JFK to Lima.
I realize I may have access as a Platinum, because Platinum gets me LATAM lounge access, and the Sky Club is LATAM's lounge at JFK. Is this right? Regardless, I'm still interested in the original question of whether the reserve card alone is enough.
It is widely believed that the SkyClub access changes in early February will still provide access for GM/PM/DM on partner-operated international flights, so you should have access as a Platinum.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
It is widely believed that the SkyClub access changes in early February will still provide access for GM/PM/DM on partner-operated international flights, so you should have access as a Platinum.
Actually I just read the full policy (thanks to SC agent). DL elites flying on partner metal will need to be in PE or J to get SC access. However if the airline offers another club, (their own or 3rd party) DL elites will still get access.

As agent stated, this new policy is way too complex. All it will do is cause confusion/ mad passengers.

Note - the SC access rules page says we get access any cabin on partner. However the original email, nor the reference sheet sent to agents say this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jan 11, 2023 at 7:57 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
I wouldn’t count on access in this particular case. If you were a premium passenger on LATAM then i could see them using a DL lounge for access. But in the case of main cabin, and not DL marketed or operated, the answer is most likely no. Buy a refundable dummy ticket on DL if you really want access.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I wouldn’t count on access in this particular case. If you were a premium passenger on LATAM then i could see them using a DL lounge for access. But in the case of main cabin, and not DL marketed or operated, the answer is most likely no. Buy a refundable dummy ticket on DL if you really want access.
All tickets, both non refundable and refundable, are fully refundable in the first 24 hours.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:17 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually I just read the full policy (thanks to SC agent). DL elites flying on partner metal will need to be in PE or J to get SC access. However if the airline offers another club, (their own or 3rd party) DL elites will still get access.
Thank you for this information, and ouch... it makes sense that Delta can ban their own elites from their own clubs regardless of carrier, and that Delta is not going to incentivize flyers to fly partner metal over Delta metal, but it still stings. Notably, this also contradicts the policy as written on skyteam.com.

I give it two years before SkyTeam/partner lounge access is cut for Delta elites in Economy altogether, in the name of product consistency (an "enhancement").
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
Thank you for this information, and ouch... it makes sense that Delta can ban their own elites from their own clubs regardless of carrier, and that Delta is not going to incentivize flyers to fly partner metal over Delta metal, but it still stings. Notably, this also contradicts the policy as written on skyteam.com.

I give it two years before SkyTeam/partner lounge access is cut for Delta elites in Economy altogether, in the name of product consistency (an "enhancement").
I'm thinking the policy may not last (if it is policy). Just too much confusion. In fact i don't give most of the changes much lasting time. It's just too confusing and will mean agents are confused, passengers are confused, and lead to wasting agent time.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:02 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm thinking the policy may not last (if it is policy). Just too much confusion. In fact i don't give most of the changes much lasting time. It's just too confusing and will mean agents are confused, passengers are confused, and lead to wasting agent time.
It's going to be confusing for both the agents and the passengers. Folks are going to get denied at the kiosk, ask an agent why, and an agent is going to have to say "you're a DM with a Reserve flying a KL-marketed and operated fare, would you like to buy a pass for $50?" It's even worse for Amex Platinum holders who bought partner-operated flights from DL.

I think the policy will stand but Delta will change the access policy for the Reserve card to allow access when flying partner-marketed and operated flights (e.g. the LA award ticket that started this thread), so that GM/PM/DM with a Reserve card aren't shut out of a Sky Club.

Continuing with my previous guess that access to the rest of the SkyTeam lounges is next on the chopping block, I'm still a bit confused what the value of SkyMiles is going to be for long haul international fliers going forward, because +1 checked bag, Sky Priority, and upgrades to Comfort+ don't move the needle that much to choose Delta over another carrier.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
I think the policy will stand but Delta will change the access policy for the Reserve card to allow access when flying partner-marketed and operated flights (e.g. the LA award ticket that started this thread), so that GM/PM/DM with a Reserve card aren't shut out of a Sky Club.
Note that LA is not a Skyteam member, so I don't believe DL STE+ had access to DL Sky Clubs prior to changes when flying LA (only access to the 5 LA operated lounges due to more limited relationship). While a Sky Club membership allows for access when flying any partner (except HA which must be DL marketed), DL STE+ status only notes access previously to DL Sky Clubs when flying actual Skyteam partners -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
VFR likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 12, 2023 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by snsec
I got into a "discussion" with a SkyClub manager last year when I had a DL-issued ticket that was rebooked onto an AS flight due to a flight cancellation, and they wouldn't let me in since I wasn't flying on a DL-operated/marketed flight anymore.
and what was the outcome of this discussion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.