Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2023 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

2023 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Thu 1 Jun — DL510 SEA-JFK, PM+non-status companion on AmEx companion fare

C+ cleared at booking, didn’t appear on the list at OLCI or again an hour ago … opened a chat, agent said “it wasn’t requested” so she added us (8/9 of 24 for 2)

I typed “thank you”; she asked “Is there anything else I can do for you today?” … “only if you can automagically process SDCs for 1 thru 7”

Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Plat on an award ticket with reserve card:
SLC-PDX 6/5 - exit row at booking, cleared to F at T-72.
PDX-SLC 6/7 - C+ at booking, cleared to F at the PM window.

Now 14/28 on the year.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:38 pm

SDCed to a later PDX-SLC and was 1/9 for 1, though took an hour delay due to WX in SLC and that caused a whole bunch of folks to misconnect/rebook, ended up as 1/6 for 5 at boarding. #2 ended up next to me - FO who said it was her first FC upgrade ever - sounds about right for being SLC based.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM
JFK-MIA: cleared to F @ T-72
MIA-JFK: cleared to F @ gate after SDCing. thank goodness because they stuck me in middle seat C+ after putting me in main cabin aisle. I'd have stuck with the aisle if there wasn't a chance for upgrade to F.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I'm traveling on the first trip of the day tomorrow (6/10/23) CLE-DTW-BNA on an X fare, and returning BNA-ATL-CLE on the last trip of the evening on Monday 6/12/23.

I got upgraded on all four segments. All but DTW-BNA happened at the 120 window; DTW-BNA happened about 30 hours before scheduled departure.

At the time they upgraded me for the DTW-BNA, Delta also determined that I re-qualified for PM status for 2024, meaning that I will be Platinum when I turn 70 on January 6, 2025.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Happy to report some recent successes with First Class upgrades as a lowly Silver Medallion.

6/13 DFW-LAX DL 984 (upgraded T-24 from Main Cabin to First Class)
6/6 LAX-DAL DL 655 (upgraded T-24 from Main Cabin to First Class)
4/11 DFW-DTW DL 2183 (upgraded T-24 from Main Cabin to First Class)
GoBob likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Forgot a quick flight last month

5/17 BWI-JFK DL5428 Cleared at PM Window
JFK-SAV DL5070 Cleared at gate (1 of 4 for 1 seat).

Now 6/6 for the year.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
SEA-LAX

Just got upgraded this morning on DL 1080 leaving Sea to LAX on 6/15 in Q class. Gold medallion
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
PM, no card.

6/9 LGA-YYZ (CRJ9) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, 5/15 for upgrade to F (T fare)
6/12 YYZ-LGA (CRJ9) -- upgraded to C+ at booking, upgraded to F at PM window (X fare)

7-for-13 on upgrades for the year
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:55 am

PM with Amex Reserve
LGA-PBI C+ on booking, 10/21 on F upgrade list (did not clear)
PBI-JFK C+ on booking, 9/18 on F upgrade list (did not clear)
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Husband Platinum and myself with Gold
May 29th
OMA -ATL upgraded to FC at gate
ATL-JAX upgraded to FC 5 days window

Traveling solo
June 10th
JAX -DTW upgraded to FC 3 days window
been noticing that we have better upgrade chances on very early or very late flights.

Last edited by Synapseturquoise; Jun 13, 2023 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:40 pm

My daughter(non-skymiles member) and I (gold medallion) have a trip booked with miles Denver to Vancouver,BC in October. We are booked comfort +. I have the Amex Platinum card. Is it possible for us both to be upgraded to First or is purchase my only option? Thanks for any insights.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by tagline
My daughter(non-skymiles member) and I (gold medallion) have a trip booked with miles Denver to Vancouver,BC in October. We are booked comfort +. I have the Amex Platinum card. Is it possible for us both to be upgraded to First or is purchase my only option? Thanks for any insights.
She needs to have a skymiles account, but as long as she has a number in the reservation before your window opens and you've requested upgrades for both of you, she'll be eligible to clear to FC at the GM window (72 hours out) with you. No skymiles number = neither of you would be upgrade eligible.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:22 pm

Thanks so much for the help.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, National Executive
I am a Flying Blue Gold member (Shows up as Gold Medallion in the Delta App).

Flew DL170 ICN-MSP on June 13th - 2 people on Comfort Plus upgrade list at departure, neither cleared.
I wasn't showing up on the upgrade list (this could be because I connected from SIN on KE) so I asked at the check-in desk at ICN. They didn't put me on the list, but they upgraded me to Premium Select as the flight was fully booked. Main Cabin, Comfort+ and Delta One went out full after all the standby passengers, Premium Select went out with 13 seats empty.

Flew DL3764 MSP-YYZ on June 13th - Was the only one on FC list, but was not on Comfort+ list. I asked about it at the SkyClub and one of the agents put me on the Comfort+ list as well.
Was the only one on both upgrade lists at departure, but the upgrade still didn't clear. There were 3 seats available in FC and 11 in Comfort+ at the check in deadline. At boarding, this went to 0 in FC and 2 in Comfort+. Asked the gate agent about it while boarding, and they swore I wasn't on it when they checked. Got upgraded to FC for this flight but they had to reassign the seat from another passenger (non-status Skymiles Member). Not ideal at all.

On a side note, it seems like something is wrong for non DL STE+ as the comp upgrade didn't clear automatically for either of the flights. Also, the Skyclubs in MSP don't seem to get many people entering as a non-DL member. All three of them asked if I had the credit card - which I don't - and then asked how I was eligible to enter. I told them Skyteam Elite Plus on an international flight, and they had to look into my reservation to see that I had status with AF. Two of them (F gate and G gate lounge) did something to let me in, but the C gate lounge couldn't figure out how to let me in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.