Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Logic of non-refundable upgrades with cash?

Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat

I guess folks might hedge with a miles upgrade after purchase, so I understand why Delta might make these non-refundable, but why apply it to those made with cash? What would be against Delta's business interest to not just let it be applied to an e-credit? Opinions?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenwichgolf
I guess folks might hedge with a miles upgrade after purchase, so I understand why Delta might make these non-refundable, but why apply it to those made with cash? What would be against Delta's business interest to not just let it be applied to an e-credit? Opinions?
They can potentially (but not always) be cheaper than paying fare diff -- so the argument could be they are giving you a better deal in exchange for non-refundability. At any rate, people have reported some success in getting these refunded when pleading for mercy when they need to change flights.
greenwichgolf likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:58 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
HUCA works for refunds on these upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.