PDX-HND and PDX-ICN no availability?

Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FUK/Fukuoka
Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Posts: 671
PDX-HND and PDX-ICN no availability?

Any idea what's going on with these two routes? They are technically due to start March 25, 2023. But DL has recently removed nearly all fare classes for sale, except for a couple, and lowest fares are 5000 for economy. I have a feeling they are about to remove these two routes. Is this legal to continue to sell a route that they have no intention of flying?
Tanaka07 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PDX
Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 3,934
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Any idea what's going on with these two routes? They are technically due to start March 25, 2023. But DL has recently removed nearly all fare classes for sale, except for a couple, and lowest fares are 5000 for economy. I have a feeling they are about to remove these two routes. Is this legal to continue to sell a route that they have no intention of flying?
Airlines put flights for sale all the time that don't end up ever going -- see AA's SEA-BLR service for example -- so nothing illegal about it -- putting it on sale signals the "intention" to offer the service even if they don't ever actually take flight.

Here in PDX, we've grown used to PDX-ICN being an illusion that most of us are pretty skeptical will ever actually see the light of day. DL seems optimistic continually pushing out the date but the slow recovery in business travel especially to APAC combined with the slow growth in PDX businesses make this route actually materializing pretty unlikely to me (though I'd love to be proven wrong). I'm more optimistic that PDX-HND will show up eventually, but even that feels like far from a sure thing at this point.
noah is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:14 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,697
Originally Posted by noah
Airlines put flights for sale all the time that don't end up ever going -- see AA's SEA-BLR service for example -- so nothing illegal about it -- putting it on sale signals the "intention" to offer the service even if they don't ever actually take flight.

Here in PDX, we've grown used to PDX-ICN being an illusion that most of us are pretty skeptical will ever actually see the light of day. DL seems optimistic continually pushing out the date but the slow recovery in business travel especially to APAC combined with the slow growth in PDX businesses make this route actually materializing pretty unlikely to me (though I'd love to be proven wrong). I'm more optimistic that PDX-HND will show up eventually, but even that feels like far from a sure thing at this point.
PDX-ICN has wide open inventory starting on Sep 1.



While PDX-HND looks like the following through EOS.
xliioper is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: PDX
Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 3,934
Originally Posted by xliioper
PDX-ICN has wide open inventory starting on Sep 1.
And if you looked 6 months ago it would have showed similar for March 2023... this is no indication that they're actually going to fly those flights next fall.
noah is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:57 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 10,231
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Any idea what's going on with these two routes? They are technically due to start March 25, 2023. But DL has recently removed nearly all fare classes for sale, except for a couple, and lowest fares are 5000 for economy. I have a feeling they are about to remove these two routes. Is this legal to continue to sell a route that they have no intention of flying?
Right, wrong, or indifferent, one of the caveats in the CoC the customer agrees to upon purchase:
RULE 2: SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS
Delta will exercise reasonable efforts to transport you and your baggage from your origin to your destination with reasonable dispatch, but published schedules, flight times, aircraft types, seat assignments, and similar details reflected in the ticket or Deltas published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Delta may substitute alternate Carriers or aircraft, change its schedules, delay or cancel flights, change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket as required by its operations in Deltas sole discretion. Deltas sole liability in the event of such changes is set forth in Rule 22. Delta is not responsible or liable for making connections, failing to operate any flight according to schedule, changing the schedule or any flight, changing seat assignments or aircraft types, or revising the routings by which Delta carries the passenger from the ticketed origin to destination.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...-carriage-igr/

Basically the airline is saying you accept the fact that we can change schedules and you can either 1) accept the new schedule if/when it changes, 2) change to a different flight or routing, or 3) get a refund to the original form of payment.
manacit likes this.
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 463
With Nike Asia HQ now in Shanghai and Japan no longer considered a standalone region I expect a lot of connecting traffic through ICN once china opens up and the the travel restrictions on china travel are eliminated by both govt and corporate. Thats when Id expect the ICN flight to start service
moondog likes this.
kiwicanuck is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:21 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FUK/Fukuoka
Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
With Nike Asia HQ now in Shanghai and Japan no longer considered a standalone region I expect a lot of connecting traffic through ICN once china opens up and the the travel restrictions on china travel are eliminated by both govt and corporate. That’s when I’d expect the ICN flight to start service
Also once Intel gets back to traveling, this should add a sizable amount of demand to Asia. They used to fill the front cabins completely. Also, nonstop flights from Asia to Portland is very critical for Intel cargo.
Tanaka07 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:24 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 175
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Also once Intel gets back to traveling, this should add a sizable amount of demand to Asia. They used to fill the front cabins completely. Also, nonstop flights from Asia to Portland is very critical for Intel cargo.
How long has PDX been without a non-stop to Asia now? 2-3 years? I dont recall Intel shutting down or business grinding to a halt because their precious cargo wasnt able to fly non-stop to Portland from Asia.
Magnum9 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:00 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FUK/Fukuoka
Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by Magnum9
How long has PDX been without a non-stop to Asia now? 2-3 years? I dont recall Intel shutting down or business grinding to a halt because their precious cargo wasnt able to fly non-stop to Portland from Asia.
transit times are much longer now compared with previous and have created severe headaches for intel and its suppliers. Time is money. Its been so bad on certain occasions that Intel has chartered several 747s nonstop from Japan to Oregon.
Tanaka07 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:24 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 41,386
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
transit times are much longer now compared with previous and have created severe headaches for intel and its suppliers. Time is money. Its been so bad on certain occasions that Intel has chartered several 747s nonstop from Japan to Oregon.
Eva to/from Seattle is no worse than an ICN option, and there are also dedicated cargo flights.
moondog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.