Travel Waivers for Holiday Storm?

Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM; Delta AMEX Reserve
Travel Waivers for Holiday Storm?

Does anyone know if/when Delta may issue travel waivers for the impending storm? I have a two-day trip Wed/Thurs this week and assume I will not get back to NYC on Thursday evening if I dare make the trip. Holding off rebooking for the moment...
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BigAppleFlyer
Does anyone know if/when Delta may issue travel waivers for the impending storm? I have a two-day trip Wed/Thurs this week and assume I will not get back to NYC on Thursday evening if I dare make the trip. Holding off rebooking for the moment...
Delta's been fairly good at issuing advisories - tho' principally for their hub airports. If it does show, will be here: Current Advisories | Delta Air Lines

Both AA (Travel alerts − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)) and UA (Important Travel Notices | United Airlines) have posted theirs for starting 21 December given the likely effects to at least ORD if not the whole Midwest..

David
BigAppleFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
There will almost certainly be an advisory but I wouldn't bet on it being for NYC on Thursday. They may buffer it a lot but that is awfully early for that far east. As to when there is no way someone here will know but likely sometime soon. Tonight or in the AM.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Both the Euro and the GFS have zero snow for the NYC metro. If you are connecting in DTW or something (you didn't give your desintation), it could be a problem.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Snow is not going to be the issue in the northeast corridor... its going to be the strong winds and poor visibility from the heavy rain... I wouldn't expect a waiver until at least Tues night or Wed morning, if any at all.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
The Weather Channel has named this one Elliott. I know the NWS doesn't like TWC doing that but it is helpful in distinguishing storms for waivers and threads on FlyerTalk.

Looks like Delta pre-canceled 50 Seattle flights for tomorrow.

Edit: Waiver posted for SEA and PDX 12/20-12/22.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Agree it looks like a rain event--but here in NYC we're being told this is a major storm and there will be travel disruptions due to heavy rain and winds.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:09 am

It would appear that NYC fliers at least on Friday afternoon and evening could be on flights that will be cancelled.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoodawg
It would appear that NYC fliers at least on Friday afternoon and evening could be on flights that will be cancelled.
But not Thursday afternoon/evening? I'm showing rain/wind starting then.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The mess will start in JFK later Thurs as the winds start to impact operations.

And yeah I can't stand that the weather channel names winter storms... its just for media impact to try to get more viewers/clicks.
wrp96, findark and Newman55 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Connecting through MSP on Friday, flying PSC-MSP-BOS, this seems to be the best route as of now since MSP isn't showing any snow on Friday. I could connect through SEA or SLC, but the weather in MSP looks to be the best.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It will be interesting to see how MSP handles it - normally the airport doesn't choke up for winter weather, but the forecast winds are quite notable and NWS is hinting they might issue a blizzard warning. Forecast is for pretty normal amounts of snow (5-10 inches storm total), but 40 mph gusts Thursday through Saturday. But wind directions should be aligned with the 30s so hopefully there won't be much of a wind shear issue.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by hi55us
Connecting through MSP on Friday, flying PSC-MSP-BOS, this seems to be the best route as of now since MSP isn't showing any snow on Friday. I could connect through SEA or SLC, but the weather in MSP looks to be the best.
The weather handling capability will also be the best. No airport can overcome truly extreme conditions, but MSP will be the best positioned hub in the Delta network to handle routine winter conditions.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:01 am

Flying to ORD on Thursday, surprisingly no weather warning from Delta. But United issues one yesterday.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:20 am

Booked on MDW > DTW Thursday evening on a Connection carrier - would it be worth trying to get on the ORD flight for mainline if/when a waiver is issued? I'm concerned that the regional carriers would get axed first but not sure how Delta usually handles as I typically fly UA on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.