Search

Medallion Status - Soft Landing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Medallion Status - Soft Landing

Hi All,

I can't seem to recall the answer to this question so I'm leaving it to the experts: I'm currently a DM (have been since inception) but due to employment changes, I'm not travelling as much these days. It doesn't look like I'll qualify for any medallion status next year (have the MQMs from rollover, but just shy of SM on MQDs) My question is will DL give me a soft landing from DM to SM given my history? I have ~97k MQMs right now but only $2,500 MQDs, so $300 shy of earning SM status.

Any thoughts as to what next year will look like for me? I can do a MR to get the additional $500 MQD if necessary but would rather not if possible.

Thanks

Last edited by BoeingGuy; Dec 1, 2022 at 2:06 pm Reason: verbiage
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:05 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
SkyMiles does not have soft landings.

You may wish to fly the extra $500 MQDs so that you rollover 75,000 MQMs. If you don't earn at least silver medallion, you will not rollover anything.

If this is due to a life event such as a change in jobs and you think that you will continue flying, you may wish to consider the Reclaim My Status program.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response, I might have to do a same day turn one weekend so I don't lose the ~75k MQMs
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Since you're a Million Miler, do you expect to do enough Delta flying in the future to earn more than the Silver Medallion Million Miler gets you?
BoeingGuy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
MM -> at least FO for 2023. I would do the MQD run not to loss the 98k MQM’s as I expect that balance would reset to zero for 2023 despite the MM Silver status.
MSPeconomist and BoeingGuy like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by DrMilano
MM -> at least FO for 2023. I would do the MQD run not to loss the 98k MQM’s as I expect that balance would reset to zero for 2023 despite the MM Silver status.
It would reset to zero, but unless they're going to reach the increased MQD for at least Gold Medallion in the future, there's really not much point in holding on to the MQM that have built up during the pandemic.
DiverDave, CO-PLAT and BoeingGuy like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
If you don't expect to travel much in the next few years, or can only travel enough to hit silver, then rolling over the 98k MQMs is useless, since you have lifetime Silver anyways. And Gold in the next year is a much steeper climb at 8k MQD with less benefits (no STE+ lounge access on SkyClub, plus there are still DM/PM surplus from rollovers, you won't get upgraded much regardless)
CO-PLAT and BoeingGuy like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:51 pm

Do the mileage run to hit Silver and rollover the MQMs. That status isn’t worth much these days, but at least it gives you another year to see how your flying shakes out.

If it’s really not worth it, I know the cost of your mileage run isn’t going to hurt someone who’s been a DM as long as you have. And if you end up finding value in it, you’ve got a decent bank of MQMs to build on.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Do the mileage run to hit Silver and rollover the MQMs. That status isn’t worth much these days, but at least it gives you another year to see how your flying shakes out.
They're a Million Miler, they'll get Silver Medallion no matter what, next year they need to hit at least MQD for Gold Medallion to have any incremental benefit over the Silver Medallion for life they've already earned. It's a waste of money it sounds like unless they are going to be flying/spending enough to earn Gold Medallion in the future.
BoeingGuy and Return2flight like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed it's not really worth trying to spend $8K on DL tickets just for Gold. Spending $25K on a DL Plat Amex next year for MQD Waiver and Plat status through 2024 "might" be worth it depending on how much travel OP has planned for 2024.
BoeingGuy likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 2, 2022 at 3:32 pm
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

save the money. Buy what you want when you want it.

Even as a diamond in a non-hub market I get very little from status. Sure, I get some primo phone support. That is hit or miss though. So are upgrades. And the clubs are actually less desirable now than at any time in my 30 years of flying.

WFBF.

PS. There will be a bunch of people who pile on now and tell you how this isn't true. The fact that they are willing to fly suboptimal routes at horrible times is the tradeoff they make. If status means enough to you to fly four hops to cross the country then you might want to rethink the mileage run .
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it was all extremely helpful!

I forgot that I have lifetime SM status from my MM status so I'm not sure if it's worth doing the MR to keep the MQMs as I don't know what my travel looks like next year. I was recently laid off from my job so not sure what's next for me.

I typically buy FC tickets when I fly so having the status isn't worth THAT much to me other than the choice benefits, DM line, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by BoeingGuy

I forgot that I have lifetime SM status from my MM status so I'm not sure if it's worth doing the MR to keep the MQMs as I don't know what my travel looks like next year. I was recently laid off from my job so not sure what's next for me.

I typically buy FC tickets when I fly so having the status isn't worth THAT much to me other than the choice benefits, DM line, etc.
Oh no that’s awful about your job loss, hoping you land back on your feet and onboard flying at the pointed end of the plane soon. Not worth the MQD run to hold onto the MQM’s with your unfortunate news.
SuperG1955 and DiverDave like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingGuy

The thing is, if you hit silver this year you can easily have Platinum next year by putting 25k on a delta credit card and nothing more.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
The thing is, if you hit silver this year you can easily have Platinum next year by putting 25k on a delta credit card and nothing more.
It's not easy to get a new CC with an annual fee and put $25K of spend on it if you're unemployed.

I feel badly for the OP but his/her top priority is employment, not airline status and conserving $ is more important right now.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.