Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub Access Policy Changes (Dec 2022 Announcement)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub Access Policy Changes (Dec 2022 Announcement)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This all just smells like a big money grab to me, while being thinly veiled as a way to reduce crowding. Just look at the changes - significant cost increases for membership and guest passes, while blocking DL medallions flying intl in econ from access. That last one is the only item where DL isn't getting direct revenue from pax accessing, and will also have the least impact on improving the crowd situation.

CASH GRAB
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rwSEA
How would this work for medallion member access to other sky team lounges? For example a Diamond traveling in Econony within Europe who currently has access to an AF or KL lounge.
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
the quote:
"Effective February 2, 2023, Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion® Members flying internationally in Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+® will no longer receive Delta Sky Club access, unless they have access through a different entry method (such as a Delta Sky Club membership). Please note that Diamond, Platinum, or Gold Medallion Status still permits entry to the Club if flying in Delta Premium Select internationally or Delta One®‡."
But that's only DL Sky Club no? I don't believe it affects accessing AF/KL/other Skyteam lounges?
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM,
No!

Originally Posted by andrewk829
I am an Amex Platinum card holder and regularly take advantage of the $39 day passes . . . a price that has been inching upwards at far greater than the overall rate of inflation over the course of the past few years (not long ago, like within the past few years, it was $25, then it was $29, then it was $39, now it's going to be $50). No, $50 won't kill me, but $50 is a bit of a psychological barrier. Something that costs less than $50 is really a "no big deal" expense. But $50 is real money.

Moreover, complimentary lounge access while traveling internationally is a major incentive for me to maintain Gold or higher status.

A key question I have, as a frequent traveler to Europe sometimes enduring long layovers in AMS, is whether SkyMiles partner airlines will mimic Delta's new policy. So, if I fly main cabin through Amsterdam connecting to a KLM flight (or reverse), will I have access to the KLM Crown Rooms at Schiphol Airport?

No! Negative. As a STE+ last week in AMS flying KLM on DL Flight # in "Economy Comfort" I was DENIED entry as a STE+. Its getting confusing.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
But that's only DL Sky Club no? I don't believe it affects accessing AF/KL/other Skyteam lounges?
Correct. I was editing my post while you were responding. I don't think this is addressed, yet.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
No! Negative. As a STE+ last week in AMS flying KLM on DL Flight # in "Economy Comfort" I was DENIED entry as a STE+. Its getting confusing.
But shouldn't you be getting access based on the fact that you are STE+?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: Some more than others
Since the beginning, loyalty programs have been about creating brand loyalty by offering perks in exchange of volume. Over the years, they've been refining the types and drivers of volume that they're wanting to incentivize. It's not a question of morals, emotions or whether certain activities deserve perks, it's an evolving business decision with winners and losers.

At the start, BIS was king. Then multipliers for certain fare types came about as they wanted to add incentive to premium tickets. Later airlines moved in the direction of revenue, introducing revenue based earning and revenue floors for status.

These most recent changes are again about redefining they types and drivers of volume that DL wants to incentivize. Losers are Basic Economy, long haul Economy and club members. Winners are premium cabin customers and premium credit card holders.

DL may say that these changes are about reducing crowding, but in reality it's about redefining the ideal Delta customer. With AA's Loyalty Points scheme and changes elsewhere other airlines are moving in similar directions with their programs.
dw, ijgordon, DTWflyer and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Interesting, since I was able to enter KLM Lounge 52 2 days ago (and the new AF lounge a few days before) with no issues as DL PM in Economy.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
Correct. I was editing my post while you were responding. I don't think this is addressed, yet.
Yeah its very confusing at this point. If they end up gutting Skyteam partner access then what's the point of an alliance?
Spiff and DrMilano like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
This all just smells like a big money grab to me, while being thinly veiled as a way to reduce crowding. Just look at the changes - significant cost increases for membership and guest passes, while blocking DL medallions flying intl in econ from access. That last one is the only item where DL isn't getting direct revenue from pax accessing, and will also have the least impact on improving the crowd situation.

CASH GRAB
I'm good with a cash grab if it means less crowded lounges and continued F/B enhancements.

I'll take these changes over the lounges of the old days that had no food and no real amenities.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
How about STE's flying a ST partner internationally in either Econ or Premium Economy, like taking KL MSP-AMS? Do either of those type of passengers get SC access? There is zero verbiage regarding that in the email.

I would suppose those on a ST partner flying an equivalent to PS product will get access. But again, I don't know. For lack of any clarification from DL, I suppose we can fall back on ST rules which permit those passengers SC access, but I doubt the SC lounge dragons would abide by those rules.
kthomas and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I'm good with a cash grab if it means less crowded lounges and continued F/B enhancements.

I'll take these changes over the lounges of the old days that had no food and no real amenities.
The only way you'll get really less crowded Sky Clubs is if Amex stops handing out Platinum cards like candy corn on Halloween. We know that won't happen.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:36 am

Very frustrating to have them increase the MQDs for DM AND devalue it in the same year. The new choice benefits (IIRC $1000 off MQD requirement and $500 statement credit on DL Amex) are fine but taking away the guest pass is a big fumble. When I travel personally, my family has access through their own credit cards but it’s great when traveling for work. When I travel with family— we eat, drink, lounge, linger. When I travel for work, it’s often grabbing a cup of coffee and maybe a quick breakfast. We can all agree that this _does not_ address overcrowding in the least and just further pushes away top tier fliers.

I’m not a hub captive and 2023 will likely be my last year of DM with MQDs usually in the $16-$17k range so once I hit platinum for 24, I’ll probably just go free agent.
kthomas and ohhleary like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by rylan

CASH GRAB
It's not about reducing crowding - it's about selling those PS seats since they offer not much improvement over regular coach.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It's not about reducing crowding - it's about selling those PS seats since they offer not much improvement over regular coach.
Save for maybe a seat or two in the middle, PS cabin is almost always nearly full from my experiences.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
I figured AMEX was going to win in any SkyClub re-haul, we all know the relationship is very cushy. Along with reciprocal Centurion Club access with the DL Reserve card. That card has always been the best option. I think some had forgotten they had rolled back some AMEX before, when they removed day pass access from the Gold card years ago.

Executive for all 3 Diamond picks was something I wasn't surprised either, it always feels like one of the club options was always picked at the level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.