Pulling the Plug: Final Thoughts

Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Congrats on the (2nd) retirement! Sounds like an amazing career. That was a great read. I'm shocked by the seat thing on US...wow.

I mean I guess many folks refer to an airplane as a "ship", but I think of a ship when I hear "debark". When I google "debark", all the hits on the first page were actually about dogs.
That's nothing. Try googling "champaign."
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A lovely post! Thank you. Made me think about all the wonderful and crazy experiences along the journey. Promising myself to try to follow in your footsteps and do a retirement post when that day comes (soon!). And congrats!!!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:08 pm

Congrats on your second retirement!

Your memories made me smile, laugh and shake my head. Thanks for sharing them with us! I especially love the airline official story.

May all your flights from now on be smooth!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:12 pm

Reminds me of Mr. Clooney in Up In The Air. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks for such a wonderful post. Brought back some memories of weird experiences I have had . Agree that NWA was great. Enjoy your retirement.
becks1 and coast_2_coast like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The immigration story at MEX is one of the coolest stories I've heard in a long time!
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:57 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Excellent post! Very interesting to read! Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
I was a journalist for several major news organizations. My first flight at age 4 was LAX-SAN on a PSA Lockheed L-188 Electra.
I think the loss of curtains was the beginning of the end of civilized passenger aviation. The tradeoff between gentility and fire hazard was reasonable.
I remember the sole snack on this flight was pink wintergreen mints -- still an addiction -- and my dad bought a Mutual of Omaha life insurance policy at the airport. Ah, the good old days.

PSA Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1959. I still get the same expression on my face when I fly.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Ha! Thanks, fixed that too.
Typed this up in a hurry this morning -- too much of a hurry, apparently. Now you know why I'm retiring!
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:17 pm

This post is priceless.

Originally Posted by RIP-PSA
I was a journalist for several major news organizations. My first flight at age 4 was LAX-SAN on a PSA Lockheed L-188 Electra.
I think the loss of curtains was the beginning of the end of civilized passenger aviation. The tradeoff between gentility and fire hazard was reasonable.
I remember the sole snack on this flight was pink wintergreen mints -- still an addiction -- and my dad bought a Mutual of Omaha life insurance policy at the airport. Ah, the good old days.

PSA Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1959. I still get the same expression on my face when I fly.
gretchendz and navi_jen like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:39 pm

Great stories. For my 2 million mile flight I got,

nothing 😂
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by RIP-PSA

That's my "No PDB." expression.
gretchendz and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!! May your life be as fulfilling on the ground as it's been in the sky! Well deserved retirement. Scary to hear about the Gulf War shooting, flight!!! wowser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:16 pm

Thank you for sharing.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
But the scariest was when I boarded a US Air flight at the old Pittsburgh hub and my seat did not have a back; the flight crews dispatched a maintenance tech to the sold-out flight, and he unhelpfully suggested that I might lean forward during takeoff and landing.
Heh. Your experience with USAir matches my own. Surly, unprofessional, couldn't-care-less. Still sad that they ruined AA.
chica likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.