Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What the bleep happened to Skymiles redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What the bleep happened to Skymiles redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:40 pm

It's not about flight operated on DL metal... it's about DL charging extraordinary amount of miles for what's supposed to be a "saver level" award on partner airlines. that's against the spirit of "saver award" on partner airlines.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Partner airlines redemptions have gone so much more expensive since I checked few weeks back? This includes partner awards, which are supposed to be on a saver level (otherwise, it's not bookable on Delta).

JFK-LHR on VS Business class 230000 sky miles one-way? (just 47500 VS miles plus $800 fee on VS website)
YYZ-AMS on KL Business class 375000 sky miles one-way? (just 55000 Flying Blue miles plus $231 on KL website)
LAX-TPE on CI Business class 245000 sky miles one-way? (just 90000 DFP miles plus small tax on CI website [150000 DFP miles round trip])

These award redemptions are supposed to be on "saver level" from partner airlines perspective.

Unless you live in a Delta hub, why would you be loyal to Delta when you get more ROI for being loyal to AA or UA?

Yes, I know Delta is doing this because "they can", but customers can also choose another airlines because "they can" as well.
Yup, award prices have went up about 3-5 fold. But it gets better. Try to book. Everything is phantom inventory. Nothing is bookable. I've tried too many times to count various routes and airlines, and even at the exhorbiant levels (where 500K miles gets one RT vs. 8 RTs on the same route earlier), nothing is actually bookable. Inventory keeps showing, but when you try to book it always errors out after the payment page.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Partner award wasn't this bad when I last checked two weeks ago. LAX-TPE was only 120000 miles at end of october.
Don't know from LAX, but HNL-TPE (or ICN, PVG, FUK, NGO, KIX, NRT, HND, etc.) has been always 35K for J. Went up nearly two fold to 60K a while ago. Of course now it's like 170K, tripled further, or more than 6x from the normal price (as in effect at other airlines, where 35K one-way for J is the norm to N and E Asia).
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:03 pm

The other big question is: now pretty much no partner awards are bookable (at least, all KE and SV ones I've tried - and I've tried literally 100s of flights on various dates). It shows and you can go through, view fare rules and all, but when you submit the CC info on the payment page, it always errors out...you go back to search, flights are still there, just can't book. So, it not only costs more, but you cannot actually book anything now (at least that I've tried) anyway. I've tried just KE and SV flight by itself, together with DL, various dates, routes, different permutations thereof. Everything always fail to ticket, 100%.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Keep in mind that for a while now OW can be same cost as RT. Did you look up RT price on these routes?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Utskicat
Keep in mind that for a while now OW can be same cost as RT. Did you look up RT price on these routes?
It's not that they are the "same cost" as RT, it's that DL has different award levels for one-way vs. roundtrip bookings. While some one-way award levels can be as high as a roundtrip, you won't know difference until you compare the various different levels. The award levels that require a roundtrip booking with have an 'R' in the middle of their fare basis codes (found at "Fare Rules" link) and will often have some kind of minimum stay noted in the fare rules as part of the roundtrip booking requirement (many have 7 days on international awards). Revenue fares are very much the same with the cheaper international fares having either 7 day or Saturday night stay roundtrip booking requirements.

In order to see the difference between one-way and roundtrip award levels you need to attempt a roundtrip booking (with a 7 day stay to also meet the min stay requirements). The lowest roundtrip levels generally also all have a 60 day advance purchase requirement (so you will never see lowest award levels if searching closer in). If you use the "Price Calendar" option in the award search (can only be selected after initiating a search), you can more quickly search over a broader range of dates for lowest levels.

FYI, DL is still quoting partner awards on Canada-ICN KE metal awards -- 50K coach/120K business each-way. Beyond ICN awards are being quoted as broken fare awards. For example, Canada-TYO is 120K + 15K = 135K in business.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 18, 2022 at 9:21 am
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"Why has delta devalued its miles in biz class so much"

Didn't read the full OP and didn't read any replies, but the answer is "because they can"
One reason they can is rollover MQMs. I'll be PM for years just on rollovers, which means I'm getting nearly 2x the RDMs I would be on AA or UA. Pretty sure they realize if they ever got rid of rollover MQMs they'd have to adjust the value of SkyPesos.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The changes look to be a continuing effort to more closely align revenue and award pricing which has been going on since DL introduced dynamic awards on June 1st, 2016. While they do not copy revenue fare filings with award fares on a one-to-one basis (there are generally quite a few more revenue fares than award levels on any given route), there's enough different award levels that mileage amounts will generally be within a fairly close range of revenue fares (they also employ the same types of advance purchase, day of travel, seasonality, and roundtrip booking requirements found in revenue fares to award levels to more closely align them).

The process seems to have been completed on domestic awards several years ago, but they had not finished process on international awards at that time. They eliminated the 80K one-way low-level D1 awards to EU around Oct 2020 and replaced them with a 105K low-level award that had a roundtrip booking requirement (could not be booked as a one-way). They also raised partner biz awards from 86K one-way to 120K around that time. The more recent steps on international awards include making lowest award levels variable based on route (more competitive routes with lower fares also have lower award levels available) and aligning partner metal awards level with DL metal awards levels to EU and parts of Asia (so that cheapest levels all now require roundtrip bookings including on partners). There is currently an exception to Italy which is likely some kind of kind of carve out due to ITA still being in limbo. Also, partner award levels on KE from Canada to Asia still look to be in place. Looking at some of the JV info, it appears DL-KE JV only covers US-Asia routes and does not include Canada. So that would seem to be the likely explanation for that exception (VS/AF/KL JV includes both US and Canada). These changes have likely been in the works for awhile, but with travel demand continuing to improving and more of Asia reopening, DL probably decided to pull the trigger now rather than perhaps earlier during Covid.
dw likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 20, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:39 am
Sp7

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
How do you explain that the majority of seats in International Business Class are often filled with Non Rev travel?
The answer is that they're not. I am a magical unicorn that gets the best of both worlds, I fly Delta for business travel and my wife is a DL employee so we get to fly non-rev for pleasure. D1 seat availability has been decreasing over the years as the D1 cabins in the new A350s and A330s are smaller than the 744s and 772s that they replaced. The route network is also much smaller due to NRT's closure, JVs, and fleet rationalization.

The answer here is really simple, they're filling the seats with paying customers. Supply is down, demand is either flat or up. Delta is making loads of money.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by xliioper
The changes look to be a continuing effort to more closely align revenue and award pricing which has been going on since DL introduced dynamic awards on June 1st, 2016. While they do not copy revenue fare filings with award fares on a one-to-one basis (there are generally quite a few more revenue fares than award levels on any given route), there's enough different award levels that mileage amounts will generally be within a fairly close range of revenue fares (they also employ the same types of advance purchase, day of travel, seasonality, and roundtrip booking requirements found in revenue fares to award levels to more closely align them).

The process seems to have been completed on domestic awards several years ago, but they had not finished process on international awards at that time. They eliminated the 80K one-way low-level D1 awards to EU around Oct 2020 and replaced them with a 105K low-level award that had a roundtrip booking requirement (could not be booked as a one-way). They also raised partner biz awards from 86K one-way to 120K around that time. The more recent steps on international awards include making lowest award levels variable based on route (more competitive routes with lower fares also have lower award levels available) and aligning partner metal awards level with DL metal awards levels to EU and parts of Asia (so that cheapest levels all now require roundtrip bookings including on partners). There is currently an exception to Italy which is likely some kind of kind of carve out due to ITA still being in limbo. Also, partner award levels on KE from Canada to Asia still look to be in place. Looking at some of the JV info, it appears DL-KE JV only covers US-Asia routes and does not include Canada. So that would seem to be the likely explanation for that exception (VS/AF/KL JV includes both US and Canada). These changes have likely been in the works for awhile, but with travel demand continuing to improving and more of Asia reopening, DL probably decided to pull the trigger now rather than perhaps earlier during Covid.

I think what a lot of people want to know are...

1) What is the current "lowest" each way pricing for Skymiles business class international redemptions from US to Europe or Arsa, regardless of partner or Delta metal - is it the 210K round trip (105K each way) price?

2) With more harmonized award pricing between Delta metal / partners, is there more availability?

3) When is the next Flash Sale
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I think what a lot of people want to know are...

1) What is the current "lowest" each way pricing for Skymiles business class international redemptions from US to Europe or Arsa, regardless of partner or Delta metal - is it the 210K round trip (105K each way) price?

2) With more harmonized award pricing between Delta metal / partners, is there more availability?

3) When is the next Flash Sale

Again, the lowest international biz awards will now vary with route for most international destinations from US. Routes like BOS/JFK-LHR seem to have about lowest levels (both currently 230K roundtrip). Other routes can be quite a bit higher -- lowest biz level on DTW-LHR is currently 370K roundtrip. It seems pretty clear they are trying to more closely align award pricing with revenue fare pricing which also varies between routes. They've actually had variable low levels on coach EU awards for quite some time with cities like BOS and JFK often having considerably lower levels available to EU in coach than other US cities (particularly during off season). They've had coach awards with seasonality rules for international awards for lowest levels for some time now. Business awards mostly don't seem to have seasonality rules baked in, but they do pretty clearly limit bucket availability for lowest award levels (like OZ) during busier seasons.

Don't think they have really enhanced availability. If partners release availability, it looks like they just book into lowest DL award level on a route (which will be different if you book as a one-way or roundtrip or don't meet AP requirements of cheapest levels). If they don't release any inventory on a flight to DL, you just won't be able to book award on them (just like before).
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:48 am

If I had a Skymile for every time someone opened a thread with a variant of "What is [DL/AA/UA] thinking? XXXk miles for an AAA-BBB award??? That's insane! What, do they hate their customers?"...then I'd be able to afford an AAA-BBB award.
ffI and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn
If I had a Skymile for every time someone opened a thread with a variant of "What is [DL/AA/UA] thinking? XXXk miles for an AAA-BBB award??? That's insane! What, do they hate their customers?"...then I'd be able to afford an AAA-BBB award.
Not quite. By the time you thought you had enough SlyMiles, DL would have moved the goal post yet again and further jacked up the award price. And, to add insult to injury, charge a YQ of $800+ on top.
pmblinn and Rhinolicious like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:29 pm

seriously , was looking to book a VS award in economy and it jumped fro 50k miles to 120k miles.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:27 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Yes, I know Delta is doing this because "they can", but customers can also choose another airlines because "they can" as well.
Don't be fooled - Other airlines (UA) can and will do the same as well.
UA to Asia was 60k each way in bz (long ago) Now it is 93k via Ethiopia -Via any other route with a single UA component it is 180k saver - then it becomes 300k !
Don't think AA is any better - 155k to DEL is now saver then price jumps to 180k and then 230k
AS charges 200k one way for "partner QR awards - although I just flew SIN-EWR back for 100k AS on the nonstop
The best choice is AC but the trouble is living in the US at a UA hub - the options are many more on the big 3 (at a vastly higher cost)

The real issue is this - the airlines were using their own miles before as funny money worth nothing - now they have assigned it a value of 1c each
When I can get 2.625c on a BofA card, there is no sense in getting miles worth 1c

Some exceptions occur in cost - I just got an offer on my Delta Amex - spend 21k - get 420$ cash back (2c) - along with the miles
So my 21k DL miles will now cost me 0.625c each - may be worth it - I can goose the spend to 30k and get a free 15k MQM out of it as well.over the next 2 months
Now to keep an eye out for the exceptions in prices and book at once

We got spoiled over the great recession and miles were very useful and valuable - now they have fallen into simple cash value of 1c

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.