Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2022 Consolidated "Should I push for higher status" threads

Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:50 pm
wsy
Original Poster

I would love the collective wisdom of this group.

My current status is Platinum as part of the ongoing roll over of status from 2020. I currently have 96,552 MQMs but only $4,641 MQD (and not enough segments to consider). This means I will enter 2023 as a silver unless I pick up another $1,359 MQMs to move up to Gold.

Considerations:
  1. I cannot spend $25K needed for MQD waver this year. I could do so next year. I would need to get the correct CC.
  2. I have two domestic trips left for this year. One paid by cash, which will not generate enough MQDs. The other was intended to be a reward ticket. However, if I used the pay with miles feature for it and have the cash ticket, I should have the necessary MQDs to obtain gold.
  3. My travel plans for next year are limited work travel (economy or premium select) and some international reward tickets (its time to draw down all of those miles that have been piling up)
Question: Should I push for 2023 Gold or leave myself with more rollover miles and then go for the $25K credit card waver over the first few months of the year?

Finally, apologies if this is a super basic question. Since 2013 Ive had Platinum or Diamond status each year just by sitting in the seat and flying for work. I never had to think through options or waivers. However, that world is over for me, so now educating myself on the next phase.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wsy
I
  1. I have two domestic trips left for this year. One paid by cash, which will not generate enough MQDs. The other was intended to be a reward ticket. However, if I used the “pay with miles” feature for it and have the cash ticket, I should have the necessary MQDs to obtain gold.
Award tickets earn MQD, MQM, and MQS (but not miles) for award tickets booked on Delta operated flights. MQD earn is calculated by dividing miles spent on award by 100.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
I'm not too familiar if there are significant differences from gold or silver, so here are my thoughts. I think anymore, any benefits such as preferred seats is the same for silver or gold (not referring to upgrade seat availability which I never count as happening, even as a diamond). The only benefit I can think of for gold over silver is access to lounges on international trips, so, for myself, if I had to choose and had no international trips to think of next year, I would take silver and rollover the mqms.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 4:26 pm
wsy
Original Poster

Thank you for the info re: MQDs being earned on an award ticket. I knew MQM's were earned but missed the MQDs. In that case, I may earn gold without much effort. (Last minute Thanksgiving tickets on points are crazy high but celebrating with loved ones--worth it.)

I expect to have at least one international trip next year, so Skyclub access is of interest.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
In my opinion Silver status is not good for much; the real benefits of status kick in starting at Gold. I suppose the way I would look at it would be as follows:

(1) f you go for Gold in 2023, but that would mean likely falling to Silver in 2024, then save the money and hassle and instead accept Silver in 2023 and then look forward to Gold in 2024 (using your rollover MQMs)
(2) But if you think you can requalify for Gold in 2024 after attaining Gold in 2023, then go for the Gold!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
if you think you can requalify for Gold in 2024 after attaining Gold in 2023, then go for the Gold!
Agree with this. Sounds like youre basically going to hit Gold for 2023 anyway, but definitely consider 2024. Silver isnt worth much.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wsy
Thank you for the info re: MQDs being earned on an award ticket. I knew MQM's were earned but missed the MQDs. In that case, I may earn gold without much effort. (Last minute Thanksgiving tickets on points are crazy high but celebrating with loved ones--worth it.)

I expect to have at least one international trip next year, so Skyclub access is of interest.
Remember that most international trips in business class get lounge access, so GM helps only if you're in coach/C+/PS and it's a SkyTeam operated (not contract) lounge. You can also get some lounge privileges from a an AmEx Plat charge card or certain DL AmEX credit cards.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by andrewk829
if you think you can requalify for Gold in 2024 after attaining Gold in 2023, then go for the Gold!
This.

2024 is going to be the year when Gold gets slightly more valuable as there will be less elites that year.

In 2020, all status was extended
In 2021, all status was extended and ALL MQMs were rolled over
In 2022, the MQM rollover made earning status an easy MQD game. Those with the credit card waiver essentially got another full rollover for a huge head start for higher tiers.
In 2023, things are back to normal for earning, but will have lots elites because qualifications were easy in 2022.
Barring any more bones thrown at us, 2024 will be the "great filter" where a lot of the people who earned status in the previous years because of the rollovers, will not requalify in 2023 for 2024 without fulfilling the full requirements. (Most likely myself included!)

Another thing to consider is that if you want easy MQDs on Delta, just fly with a preferred SkyTeam partner in a premium cabin. Find a low fare on a long distance flight and you can easily get 2x-3x of your spend credited as MQDs.

Last edited by diburning; Oct 24, 2022 at 11:40 pm
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: DL DM
I would suggest pushing for Gold, as that grants you SkyTeam Elite Plus status, which will allow access to lounges for international travel, regardless of cabin class traveling in.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:27 pm
wsy
Original Poster

Thank you all. You have convinced me that the push for Gold makes sense. I've booked one flight. It remains to be seen if the second flight will close the MQD gap. I believe I can make gold again for 2024 so that will be the plan. Perhaps not a useful as Platinum, but as stated above better then silver and/or nothing.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:46 pm
Suspended

cheapest way to get 6000 MQM by year end

I have reached MQD requirement, I just need additional 6000 MQM (for the humble Silver status) by the end of year. What is the cheapest way to get 6000 MQM?
I don't have any Delta co-branded credit cards.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
I have reached MQD requirement, I just need additional 6000 MQM (for the humble Silver status) by the end of year. What is the cheapest way to get 6000 MQM?
I don't have any Delta co-branded credit cards.
Which airport would you be departing from? What is your availability for travel?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Which airport would you be departing from? What is your availability for travel?
I am in the west coast area, but can position myself to any airport. I will be in Europe from November 29 to December 24th (found a cheap J fare on Iberia, it's non Skyteam). So my availability is restricted, unless I do some mileage runs on Skyteam in Europe or from Europe, but given the short distances within the European countries, it would be difficult to accumulate 6000 MQM.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 7, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:37 pm

Sign up for a DL Amex reserve card personal and corporate and meet the minimum spend by 12/31?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Sign up for a DL Amex reserve card personal and corporate and meet the minimum spend by 12/31?
I am afraid I won't be spending a minimum of $6000 on it's credit card by the end of year, just to get the 95000 bonus miles.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 7, 2022 at 2:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.