Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Chicago Loop 1 PM --> ORD Flight at 2:30?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Loop 1 PM --> ORD Flight at 2:30?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, with MDW, there are fewer (less frequent) flights in general and also no lounge etc. in which to wait. It's also a long walk from the CTA station to the actual check in counters and TSA airport security checkpoints.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can’t recall a time taking the Blue line to/from ORD where we didn’t pass standstill traffic on the road.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Great input all. I will probably end up slumming it on F9 out of MDW as that is a much better fit schedule-wise. Good info re: T5 I was not aware.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:36 am

You'll have to let us know the result OP. I'm another vote for book the later flight. I flew more out of MDW than ORD when I lived in Chicago, but drive-wise I wouldn't rely on Chicago traffic for ANYTHING. Even the CTA is susceptible to random delays.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
As someone who used to live in CHI and take either the Kennedy or the blue line everyday, there’s no way I’d expect to make this. Especially not since DL is in T5 now. There can be traffic any time of day on the Kennedy, and the blue line is notorious for it’s “slow zones” where tracks need maintenance.

I should point out that I’m usually of the “go for it” variety, but I see virtually no chance of making that.
jordyn, emma dog, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
I can’t recall a time taking the Blue line to/from ORD where we didn’t pass standstill traffic on the road.
Sadly, nowadays I'm more often passed by near-standstill traffic when riding the Blue Line. CTA for me (especially the Blue Line) has been so horribly unreliable that I would never consider it if my timing to get to a flight was tight. The wait time between trains can be ridiculously long, and the random slowdowns/stops are sometimes just as bad as the parallel traffic.

I'm with most others that it might be doable on paper, but everything has to go just right at that hour in order to make it.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
The actually walk within the airport (CTA > landside > airside gates) is probably longer than you think (again, "especially because of T5").
>>> EDIT - you have to take the airport train from T2 (T3?) to T5... ugh
I'd err on the side of Uber/taxi, but having taken one at that time - esp. with things "back to normal" - it's a massive crapshoot.

(last week I did same day change in Dallas 90 minutes from the time I clicked in the app and I made it in plenty of time... but that was a totally different / suburban scenario - more similar to Oak Brook/Hoffman/Mt. Prospect > ORD)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:50 am

Just did this from the Loop to T3 at 145pm on a Wednesday (not a 1:1 match but pretty darn close). Was shocked how much traffic there was. From the time of pick up to drop off, my Lyft took 44 minutes as a data point.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron
I would book the early flight, and take the later flight if I missed the earlier one.
this, absolutely. I would guess he makes it 90% of the time.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this, absolutely. I would guess he makes it 90% of the time.
I would estimate that he misses the flight 90% of the time, especially now that DL has moved to T5, even if we're optimistic that 1:00 pm means time on the sidewalk rather than time that the meeting actually ends. Saying a polite goodbye and taking an elevator down to street level consumes time, more so if luggage must be retrieved from a closet, a lavatory visit is necessary, or one must sign out of the building or turn in a visitor's badge.
emma dog, lindros2 and steveholt like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
Thanks for the replies. No rental car return, would Uber. I hear you that this is tight any way you cut it.
If you can actually be picked up at 1 PM, you *should* be to T5 by 2 PM. Security and trek to the gate, one would think, is pretty minimal.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would estimate that he misses the flight 90% of the time, especially now that DL has moved to T5, even if we're optimistic that 1:00 pm means time on the sidewalk rather than time that the meeting actually ends. Saying a polite goodbye and taking an elevator down to street level consumes time, more so if luggage must be retrieved from a closet, a lavatory visit is necessary, or one must sign out of the building or turn in a visitor's badge.
Yes, if he stops to do some sightseeing, eat lunch, and buy some souvenirs he's less likely to make it. If, on the other hand, he realizes what time it is and moves like he's actually trying to get there, he shouldn't have any trouble.

Note that via uber, T5 is a shorter drive than T2.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Just making a reality check. Let's say a poster said "I left downtown Chicago at 1p for my 2:30p flight. It took me 1 hour to make it to ORD, security took 15 minutes, and the gate was closed by the time I made it there 10 minutes before posted departure time. DL didn't have space on the next flight 3 hours later and I was stuck at ORD overnight. I'm MAD!!!"

How many folks saying OP should be OK would be turning around and saying "dude, you shouldn't cut it so close! You should have booked the later flight and tried to get on standby for the earlier flight!!!"?
lindros2, wrp96 and steveholt like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by emma dog
How many folks saying OP should be OK would be turning around and saying "dude, you shouldn't cut it so close! You should have booked the later flight and tried to get on standby for the earlier flight!!!"?
This.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Yes,Note that via uber, T5 is a shorter drive than T2.
Google Maps says 42 minutes from The Loop to T2 and 41 minutes to T5. I don’t think that 60 seconds is the difference maker OP should be betting on. T5 may be geographically shorter but T5 is also an exit with intersections and traffic lights off the highway while that highway goes to straight into the main Terminal where T2 is without any traffic lights or intersections to go through before getting to the terminal.
KBMIFlyer likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 13, 2022 at 11:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.