Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta cancelled - rebooked me on Star Alliance

Old Oct 6, 22, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hertz #1, HHonors

[EDIT: really should be KLM Cancelled DL codeshare]
I was booked on DL9380 (AMS-SFO) - operated as KL0605 on Wednesday the 5th. KLM cancelled this flight the evening before, and rebooked me on LH0989 from AMS to FRA, and UA0059 from FRA to SFO.

Question:
- Will I get Delta miles? or should I get United MileagePlus miles?
I've tried applying my United MileagePlus number to the replacement itinerary, but it gives me some cryptic error telling me to try later.

(I'm sure the KLM flight cancellation is related to the continued issues at Schipol - they must have been trying to push the Shengen immigration exit stamps to another airport - otherwise I imagine they could've flown me to London instead to get a DL or VA flight back to SFO while still keeping it within SkyTeam).

Last edited by apl175; Oct 6, 22 at 6:22 pm Reason: clarify which entity cancelled flight
Old Oct 6, 22, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
You should still get the original routing miles, but do hold on to the boarding passes.
Same happened to me once with MU canceling and being rebooked on ANA - that was quite the upgrade.

And yes, surprising they put you on LH. Must be that AF was full since that would have been the easiest for them, ship you to CDG and then onwards. (edit)
Old Oct 6, 22, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You'll have to reach out actively for the original routing credit but you will get it.

Ask the LH agent to add your UA number when you get to the airport and you should be able to get UA credit for the flight
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 6, 22, 8:19 pm

You might try and get rebooked on Delta. There are numerous options from AMS to ATL, MSP, DTW, SFO, JFK, SEA ect. These would allow a one stop connection to SFO without backtracking in the wrong direction.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 12:32 am

This has happened to me before, I had to try multiple times to get credit and keep calling back and referencing the last attempt that didn't work - but after 4 tries and a few months I got credit.
Definitely keep all your BPs and emails about original reservation, changes in reservation, old ticket new ticket yada.
Old Oct 7, 22, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I doubt they did this to avoid the passport control stamp issue. You're one passenger amongst thousands needing a stamp every day at AMS

Most likely reason (though I've not checked the actual timings) is the LH routing was to get you to SFO without triggering EU261 Compensation or because KL to LHR would have exceeded the LHR passemger cap

Also it's VS that flies to SFO from LHR not DL and VS could well have been full or restricted because of the cap. DL would require a change somewhere and again cause a delay ion getting back to SFO and triggering EU261 compensation.
Old Oct 7, 22, 5:04 am

LH is terrible recently, hope you survived the flight.

If AMS immigration was an issue they could have routed you via CDG. If they were optimizing for EU261 you could have called and get yourself rebooked via one of many USA options, like SEA, SLC, PDX, LAX, JFK, ATL, etc. and not have to chase missing miles.
Old Oct 7, 22, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll give it a few days and see if my SkyMiles post, before I start complaining.
Would EU261 apply if my original arrival time of ~12:35pm Pacific Time, turned in to a 4:05pm Pacific time arrival in the new routing that I flew?

I will constructively say that the United Polaris product I flew from FRA to SFO was very competitive with KLM business class. Not sure why the second-service Cheeseburger is a thing among American carriers. The bun is always crumbly and dry.... LH European business class from AMS to FRA was just the standard middle-seat blocked with a small plated snack. Shengen exit immigration at FRA was predictably mobbed, Business Class priority helped a bit to jump the queue - and I made it 10 minutes before scheduled, but UA ended up holding for an additional 35 minutes to allow connecting passengers to catch the flight. This netted only a 2-3 minute late arrival in SFO later that day.

Lots of warnings and text messages the night before to get to AMS four hours before departure (but ironically no MORE than four hours before) Ended up getting through security in about 40 minutes - which added to the crowd in the mediocre Aspire lounge. I did not have time to visit the lounge in FRA.
Old Oct 7, 22, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Originally Posted by apl175 View Post
Would EU261 apply if my original arrival time of ~12:35pm Pacific Time, turned in to a 4:05pm Pacific time arrival in the new routing that I flew?
Yes, but an arrival within 4 hours of your originally scheduled arrival time would indicate that the compensation can be reduced by half, and therefore would amount to 300 per passenger.

(I'm sure the KLM flight cancellation is related to the continued issues at Schipol - they must have been trying to push the Shengen immigration exit stamps to another airport - otherwise I imagine they could've flown me to London instead to get a DL or VA flight back to SFO while still keeping it within SkyTeam).
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I doubt they did this to avoid the passport control stamp issue. You're one passenger amongst thousands needing a stamp every day at AMS
The fact that some passengers have to get their passport stamped upon leaving Schengen is not a factor that feaures in KLM's decision-making when it comes to cancelling a flight....that procedure has nothing to do with KLM, and is not performed by KLM.

KL605 was cancelled again today. SFO has form in being prone to KL cancellations, even before Covid. There was a long-running thread detailing the woes of the SFO route a few years back -KL606/605 SFO-AMS v.v. cancelled (29 March 2017)
apl175 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 7, 22 at 10:21 am
Old Oct 7, 22, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks - I'll give it a few days and see if my SkyMiles post, before I start complaining.

I will constructively say that the United Polaris product I flew from FRA to SFO was very competitive with KLM business class. Not sure why the second-service Cheeseburger is a thing among American carriers. The bun is always crumbly and dry.... LH European business class from AMS to FRA was just the standard middle-seat blocked with a small plated snack. Shengen exit immigration at FRA was predictably mobbed, Business Class priority helped a bit to jump the queue - and I made it 10 minutes before scheduled, but UA ended up holding for an additional 35 minutes to allow connecting passengers to catch the flight. This netted only a 2-3 minute late arrival in SFO later that day.

Lots of warnings and text messages the night before to get to AMS four hours before departure (but ironically no MORE than four hours before) Ended up getting through security in about 40 minutes - which added to the crowd in the mediocre Aspire lounge. I did not have time to visit the lounge in FRA.
They won't post without you reaching out. You didn't actually fly the route so there's no mechanism for you to get credit automatically -- so you need to proactively reach out
moondog, ijgordon and irishguy28 like this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would depend on the reason for the cancellation of the original KL flight.
Old Oct 7, 22, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
It would depend on the reason for the cancellation of the original KL flight.
This was the only clue they sent me via email "We are sorry your flight has been cancelled. Operational constraints affected this flight. "
Is it intentionally vague like that to put people off from claiming EU261 compensation?
Old Oct 7, 22, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps ask on the KL board to see of anyone there has any additional information.
Old Oct 7, 22, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
They won't post without you reaching out. You didn't actually fly the route so there's no mechanism for you to get credit automatically -- so you need to proactively reach out
Specifically, contact Delta and request Original Routing Credit.
moondog, GUWonder and apl175 like this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This was the only clue they sent me via email "We are sorry your flight has been cancelled. Operational constraints affected this flight. "
Is it intentionally vague like that to put people off from claiming EU261 compensation?
This means ATC/Schiphol Airport imposed restrictions. AMS Airport is limiting fkights/passenger numbers.

Search this Thread