Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta cancelled - rebooked me on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cancelled - rebooked me on Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO

ATC would most definitely be DoD. There's nothing that say airline must impose the cancelation immediately (in regards to reducing flights) Also I believe the restrictions were supposed to end, but then were extended.
But this cancellation was the day before not day of departure.

But it would be silly for an airline to cancel a flight so close to departure if they had been given several days notice. When airlines were asked to reduce capacity at AMS it was left to the airlines to decide how best to handle it.

IIRC both AMS and LHR instituted passenger number caps not flight numbers so there was no need to cancel flights unless the airline chose to. There are issues such as the slot use / lose rules to consider as well.

But we don't know the detailed reason for the cancellation whihc is why I pointed the OP to the KL forum where people there many have that info and dependign on that answer whether compensation will be due (and what amount)
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hfly
flyerCO, "Actually this isn't guaranteed anymore. They can see you claimed credit on OAL nowadays. Also some airlines won't give credit if was rebooked correctly as a FIM"

I'm not sure what you mean(t) by "guaranteed", did I use that word? Generally however for a US based airline, all they will do is look to see if you were rerouted, and just give you the miles, especially if you have status. On non-US carriers it can be a much more laborious exercise. I can remember once being FIM's by BA onto another carrier, and it taking many e-mails to get my original routing credit, and my reason was not about "miles" per se, but BA Tier Points and the fact that it happened later in my year, and I woudl not have earned enough to maintain status otherwise........which led to a Faustian bargain where they gave me Tier Points, but not proper points, after several weeks of back and forth.
Never said you said guaranteed. I was simply commenting while this used to be a guaranteed thing, it no longer is.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually this isn't guaranteed anymore. They can see you claimed credit on OAL nowadays. Also some airlines won't give credit if was rebooked correctly as a FIM.
Why would United give a direct competitor access to its loyalty program data?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it considering the fact that it was NEVER automatic, and you would have to reach out proactively to at least one program, it was by definition NOT a "guarantee" thing. Airlines have always tried to FIM you onto their partners,which many people are not aware does not necessarily mean alliance partners, but rather interline partners and such "account management" appears to have improved and become much more real time over the years. While DL and UA for example have always had an interline agreement, in an ideal world when it comes to FIM's the goal of every airline has always been to balance the use of these for FIM's so that one breaks "even" for the year - i.e. that DL does not have to "write UA a check at the end of the year or viceversa - modern airline internal tools give airlines the capability now to have a much greater idea of where they stand at a given time and date.................."ATC strike in France tomorrow, so we have to FIM 1200 pax onto other carriers, but we are running negative with AF (or AF has no space) so instead of sending 200 over CDG with AF, we will instead send 200 with UA over EWR, IAH, etc, because we are positive with UA due to the Hurricane near Houston last month". So rather for accounting for these things every month, quarter or whatever, the airlines are now able to do so more "real time".

This does not in fact mean much when we are talking about our subject. What fraction of fliers do you think know to even write in to get "original route credit"? .1%? .001% Such fliers tend to be more savvy, and would also tend to be higher up the status chain. The only time that this might be denied would be if one were trying to do it within an alliance structure as while DL might have access to AF/KL's FF information, using the above, they 100% do not have that access to UA's info.

Furthermore, the point of saying that this is the holy grail, is because......it is...................There is no other situation where one can legitimately ask for double credit for a trip and have no chance for repercussions. If you try and double credit a flight to two programs, you might get away with it once. But most likely you will not, you will be caught and given a warning, and if you pull it again you can lose your account. In an IRROPS situation as outlined here, there is no possible down side. The worst that can happen is that a carrier says no, with no further repercussion.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:08 am

I have never met an FTer who isn't well schooled wrt original routing credit (when the topic comes up).
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly moondog...............but we represent what, .0000001% of the worlds fliers?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:29 am

Exactly moondog...............but we represent what, .0000001% of the worlds fliers?
Can we go with 5% or 10% (assume 20% fly at least once per quarter)? I realize that FT is a much smaller percentage, but you don't need to be an airline nerd like us to grasp the basics.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moondog, there are what 800,000 FT members? So about one in 10,000 people worldwide? Also,. how many people have 1) Been in an IRROPS situation such as this? 2) Then in such an IRROPS FIM's onto a different carrier, 3) Had an FF account in the first place, 4) Had FF accounts with both or more programs involved, 5) Have the werewithal to pursue Original routing credit with the original airline?

Flying over 100+ fligh.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:37 pm

Moondog, there are what 800,000 FT members? So about one in 10,000 people worldwide? Also,. how many people have 1) Been in an IRROPS situation such as this? 2) Then in such an IRROPS FIM's onto a different carrier, 3) Had an FF account in the first place, 4) Had FF accounts with both or more programs involved, 5) Have the werewithal to pursue Original routing credit with the original airline?

Flying over 100+ fligh.
-I agree that using FT as the numerator results in a very low percentage, and the true percentage (of FTers / total travelers) is smaller still because a solid chunk of that 800k are people that don't stick around.
-I haven't thought of a method to respond to your other questions with a reasonable degree of accuracy, but getting FIMed to another carrier happens to me about once every 2 years. Sometimes I don't pursue FF credit from the second airline, but ORC should be second nature to anyone who flies a fair bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.