Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta cancelled - rebooked me on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cancelled - rebooked me on Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Jeff767
You might try and get rebooked on Delta. There are numerous options from AMS to ATL, MSP, DTW, SFO, JFK, SEA ect. These would allow a one stop connection to SFO without backtracking in the wrong direction.
I disagree.... connecting in the US requires you clear customs / reclaim bags and then get to your connection. AMS to CDG to SFO might be good, but AMS to any US point is probably longer than the AMS to FRA flight connecting to a non-stop to SFO. I always try to connect in europe and make the trip to the US a non-stop if at all possible.
moondog and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must reach out immediately, they will not post on their own. This is the Holy Grail, one of the few legitimate times that you can get twice the mileage, on your original routing/airline as well as the airline they FIM'd you to.
moondog, GUWonder, flyerCO and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
One time on an intra-Europe itinerary KL interlined me to LH on a DL Economy award ticket. I was able to get full-fare (Y) UA MileagePlus credit. The LH lounges in FRA are not beautiful (I've not tried the "First Class Terminal") but the amenities were above-average.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once was booked with one airline, they cancelled the flight due to a mechanical issue, they booked me on another airline later that day, and they had a weather issue, they then booked me on a THIRD airline and that airline misconnected me, making me stay overnight, and then booked me on yet ANOTHER airline...............I was NOT in a rush, and as these were all carriers that I had accounts with I literally got 4x flight credit.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This means ATC/Schiphol Airport imposed restrictions. AMS Airport is limiting fkights/passenger numbers.
But that wouldn’t - absent new restrictions being applied in the few days before the flight - exempt the application of compensation.

I don’t recall any new / additional restrictions being imposed in the last two weeks or so. KL can’t use a known restriction imposed weeks ago for cancelling a flight the day before.

Plus from skimming the KL board since the restrictions have come in they have been applying the cap to short rather than long hauls.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I disagree.... connecting in the US requires you clear customs / reclaim bags and then get to your connection. AMS to CDG to SFO might be good, but AMS to any US point is probably longer than the AMS to FRA flight connecting to a non-stop to SFO. I always try to connect in europe and make the trip to the US a non-stop if at all possible.
I agree. Only exceptionis if connecting to international instead of Domestic flight in US. If fly same carrier for both segments (DL in this case) bags will transfer at certain airports automatically. (DTW, SEA, SLC i know for sure) Do this frequently when flying AMS-DTW/SEA/SLC-YYZ/YVR.

Originally Posted by hfly
You must reach out immediately, they will not post on their own. This is the Holy Grail, one of the few legitimate times that you can get twice the mileage, on your original routing/airline as well as the airline they FIM'd you to.
Actually this isn't guaranteed anymore. They can see you claimed credit on OAL nowadays. Also some airlines won't give credit if was rebooked correctly as a FIM.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But that wouldn’t - absent new restrictions being applied in the few days before the flight - exempt the application of compensation.

I don’t recall any new / additional restrictions being imposed in the last two weeks or so. KL can’t use a known restriction imposed weeks ago for cancelling a flight the day before.

Plus from skimming the KL board since the restrictions have come in they have been applying the cap to short rather than long hauls.
ATC would most definitely be DoD. There's nothing that say airline must impose the cancelation immediately (in regards to reducing flights) Also I believe the restrictions were supposed to end, but then were extended.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
KL605 was cancelled again today. SFO has form in being prone to KL cancellations, even before Covid. There was a long-running thread detailing the woes of the SFO route a few years back -KL606/605 SFO-AMS v.v. cancelled (29 March 2017)
Great, I'm on KM606 on Nov 30

I hope if they do cancel I have enough notice to get a seat on KL602 (LAX-AMS) -- when I booked the non stop was a *lot* more expensive. I normally would have connected in SLC if not on the direct, but I wanted to try the 787-10 J seat. Didn't realize I'd have to clear security again in SFO either.

I was on the bench too long -- lost all my FF reflexes
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

I hope if they do cancel I have enough notice to get a seat on KL602 (LAX-AMS) -- when I booked the non stop was a *lot* more expensive. I normally would have connected in SLC if not on the direct, but I wanted to try the 787-10 J seat. Didn't realize I'd have to clear security again in SFO either.

Huh? You're going LAX-SFO-AMS? You do not reclear security in SFO. The people above are talking about a re-routing back to the US from AMS to SFO and mentioning that if the person connects at any airport within the US (ATL/JFK/SLC/SEA/etc.) then they would have to re-clear security at that airport on the way to SFO.

-RM
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Huh? You're going LAX-SFO-AMS? You do not reclear security in SFO. The people above are talking about a re-routing back to the US from AMS to SFO and mentioning that if the person connects at any airport within the US (ATL/JFK/SLC/SEA/etc.) then they would have to re-clear security at that airport on the way to SFO.

-RM
From my understanding, DL and KLM are in different terminals and there is no airside connection. I would complain but that happens at LAX as well
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

-RM
Yes you do have to reclear at SFO. C and A/B are not connected airside today and actually the landslide connection is closed too so it’s a pretty annoying connection point right now if you aren’t flying UA
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

KLM flies SLC-AMS on 787. Its not daily though.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

-RM
Not true at SFO.

From my understanding, DL and KLM are in different terminals and there is no airside connection. I would complain but that happens at LAX as well
LAX has airside connections. It's a bus, but you can have to do that even for DL to DL connections.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:29 pm

KLM flies SLC-AMS on 787. Its not daily though.
Thanks, I didn't realize that -- I've only flown on Delta metal out of SLC -- but maybe that is because it comes up earlier on delta.com

LAX has airside connections. It's a bus, but you can have to do that even for DL to DL connections.
I know they are putting in airside connectors but is it possible yet to go from T1 to T2+ airside? And if you needed to go T2 to T8 it is technically possible: Bus from T2 to TBIT, walk the length of TB​​​​​​​IT to the T4 connector, then the length of T4 to the tunnel to T5 & T6, then the length of T6 back to the front for the overpass to T7 and T8. Count me out
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I know they are putting in airside connectors but is it possible yet to go from T1 to T2+ airside?
It was possible for a while, but then was temporarily closed: LAX T1 to T2 closed.

Dunno if it has since reopened.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flyerCO, "Actually this isn't guaranteed anymore. They can see you claimed credit on OAL nowadays. Also some airlines won't give credit if was rebooked correctly as a FIM"

I'm not sure what you mean(t) by "guaranteed", did I use that word? Generally however for a US based airline, all they will do is look to see if you were rerouted, and just give you the miles, especially if you have status. On non-US carriers it can be a much more laborious exercise. I can remember once being FIM's by BA onto another carrier, and it taking many e-mails to get my original routing credit, and my reason was not about "miles" per se, but BA Tier Points and the fact that it happened later in my year, and I woudl not have earned enough to maintain status otherwise........which led to a Faustian bargain where they gave me Tier Points, but not proper points, after several weeks of back and forth.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.