Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta New Qualification Requirements 2024 status year (2023 earning)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta New Qualification Requirements 2024 status year (2023 earning)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this before DL introduced the MQD requirement?
No.

Also, despite what someone posted upthread, when MQDs were first introduced, the DM requirement wasn't $15,000. I think it was $12,000 or $12,500 initially.
I wasn't anywhere near $12k either.

My 2015-2017 (calendar year) Medallion Statement emails all talk about a $25k waiver without regard to Medallion level.

Last edited by Zorak; Oct 6, 2022 at 10:53 am Reason: with regard => without regard
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:49 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kelvinj
It was just weird being in European airports recently and seeing so many 777s, A350s, Dreamliner's, and even a few A380s, and then Delta rocking its 767s. Where are those Delta A350s going? Asia?
They may be old but the 2-3-2 seating in Y in the 767s is great! (And let’s face it, that’s probably where I’ll be sitting based on these new qualification requirements!)
pbjag, DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
No.

I wasn't anywhere near $12k either.

My 2015-2017 (calendar year) Medallion Statement emails all talk about a $25k waiver with regard to Medallion level.
It was originally $12.5K MQD if you didn't meet DL AMEX spend waiver. But, yes, DL still had $25K Amex spend MQD Waiver for DM status at the time along with the other status levels (only later increasing it to $250K AMEX spend for DM status).

Delta Increasing Medallion Qualifying Dollar Thresholds in 2015
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Right - thanks for digging that up. I remember when they 10x the limit for DM.

Perhaps others getting it confused with United, where the CC waiver of spend was only good through Platinum (back when they had a mileage/spend status requirement).
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Keeping PM at 75,000 MQMs (really 65,000 plus the 10,000 Amex boost) with rollover and a low $25,000 AMEX spend is still an extremely low bar.
The main benefit of Platinum (extra legroom at time of booking) is available at lower tiers on AA and UA, so raising the hurdle seems too uncompetitive to me.

You'll be competing with an oversized group of PMs for upgrades during 2024.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Many more PMs in 2024.
Originally Posted by coast_2_coast
I think this ultimately just devalues platinum since with so many MQMs and the amex waiver it’ll be a bigger crowd.
Hmmm...booking class (and, by proxy, fare paid) seems to be getting more important.

Though, it would not be shocking if trailing 12-month or year to date MQDs ultimately make their way into the upgrade priority ahead of booking class codes. This would soften the blow to some higher-spending Platinums and IMHO rewards loyalty over time better than fare paid for a specific itinerary. Such a move may promote consistent customer spend on higher fares vs only booking them when lower fares are sold out.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by ttanin
there will be more room for us at the skyclubs soon.
Well if by "soon" you mean 15 more months... Until then, the lines for SC will only get worse. At least there's some light down the end of a verrrrry long tunnel.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Well if by "soon" you mean 15 more months... Until then, the lines for SC will only get worse. At least there's some light down the end of a verrrrry long tunnel.
I'm not convinced that the changes will make much difference for SC crowding. I don't think there are very many DMs who currently get SC access through being DM (or take a SC DM choice benefit) and who will fall from DM and aren't flying internationally (so that they would continue to have access with one guest providing they maintain GM status). I suspect most DMs have either a Reserve card or the regular unbranded AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card and thus will continue to have SC access when flying DL.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
I am afraid this won't do anything to clear the gut of PMs that accumulated a bunch of MQMs during the pandemic, who use the MQD waiver to qualify. But for 2024, PMs (especially those with Reserve card) should see a significantly better chance of upgrades with Extended diamonds dropping off in 2023, and Regular diamond ranks shrinking for 2024.
ffI and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am almost certain you will be proved correct. Many more PMs in 2024.
Three years of accumulating MQMs made this already inevitable, and the MQD increase will just be the cherry on top of the cake.

By the end of this year, I will have enough MQMs to be platinum for four years. Achieving $25K in credit card spend is easy for me, but achieving $15K in MQD is not. The MQD increase just makes Diamond even less attainable.

David
TerryK likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​
Incorrect, I definitely qualified for DM with more than $25k but less than $250k AMEX spend and less than $15k MQDs at least once.
Agreed. The waiver level was definitely $25K for DM for years.

Here's some of the discussion from the time:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/delta-250k-mqd-waiver/
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Three years of accumulating MQMs made this already inevitable, and the MQD increase will just be the cherry on top of the cake.

By the end of this year, I will have enough MQMs to be platinum for four years. Achieving $25K in credit card spend is easy for me, but achieving $15K in MQD is not. The MQD increase just makes Diamond even less attainable.

David
Right - they should have tried to eat into the accumulated MQMs that we're all sitting on now. I'm at a silly number that would/will enable me to be Plat for many, many years. And of course I'll be accumulating more the whole time. Mine won't be realistically diminished until they radically change the program terms.

These changes really penalize their current paying customers and not those that I think of as legacy customers riding the rollover wave.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by josephstern
Agreed. The waiver level was definitely $25K for DM for years.

Here's some of the discussion from the time:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/delta-250k-mqd-waiver/
I was a proud $25k AMEX DM for a few years. They thinned me out in 2019.
ffI and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have a question? I have a Gold card If I do $8ooo in spend do I get gold or is just for the plat and reserve card?
The spend on Amex cards they're referring to is to get the MQD waiver after spending $25k (you still have to hit MQM or segments to obtain status). Spending on cards does not count towards MQD, only dollars spent on flights does.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by ty97
The UA lounge in Terminal B at LGA is pretty nice, and I've never found it overcrowded (at least not so far). I was there last month on a day of LGA weather delays and there was a waiting list for the Centurion but ample seats in the UC. (NB: I don't have Centurion Lounge access so can't compare the two, I just passed by the Centurion Lounge and saw the line to get in and heard a lounge attendant informing people there was a waiting list).

Of course, UA out of LGA = connections to get pretty much anywhere. Lots of non-stops out of EWR though, if that's not terribly inconvenient for you (thew new EWR C United Club is quite nice but ridiculously crowded)

Star Alliance Gold status is nice.
The new United Club EWR terminal C is nothing to write home about.

Centurion lounges hopefully should thin out starting next year regarding guests for $50 unless your annual spend is $75k.

So far have not been impressed with Star Alliance Gold status, at least with the Lufthansa Group airlines. Prefer AF/KLM over LG.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
Right - they should have tried to eat into the accumulated MQMs that we're all sitting on now. I'm at a silly number that would/will enable me to be Plat for many, many years. And of course I'll be accumulating more the whole time. Mine won't be realistically diminished until they radically change the program terms.

These changes really penalize their current paying customers and not those that I think of as legacy customers riding the rollover wave.
I don't see them getting rid of the rollover MQMs. I have close to a Million MQMs, but if I come off the road I will still be forced to spend 25K on Amex to keep Platinum for the next 15 years, or hit the 4 MM which is still 5 to 7 years away.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.