Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skylimes carryover after I hit silver in a calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

So on Wednesday I’m going finally get petty silver medallion status. Then November I have to fly to Singapore which is ~22k MQMs. Will those 22k MQMs carryover into 2023 to help me get Gold status? TIA

Side question: Premium select pretty decent?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by initial e
So on Wednesday I’m going finally get petty silver medallion status. Then November I have to fly to Singapore which is ~22k MQMs. Will those 22k MQMs carryover into 2023 to help me get Gold status? TIA
If those 22k MQMs are in excess of 25k MQMs in your 2022 tally, yes.

If you're comparing it to other carriers PE products, yes, it's generally on par with most others. Is it worth the excess price from Econ? Totally your call.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:00 pm

As long as you make Silver your MQMs above 25,000 (but not MQS/MQD) will carryover. However, some poor soul with 1M MQMs but $2999 MQDs and no Amex waiver carries over 0.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I want to know what "skylimes" are. Are there also "skylemons?" Do we turn those into "skylemonade" when we actually find a good miles redemption on DL?
Zorak, xjoedx, fsuj25 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:20 pm

Any MQMs that you earn this year that are in excess of your earned medallion level, will carry over into next year.

Remember that the status that you "earn" this year - is actually 2023 status. They just let you start using it immediately.

So, if for example, you hit 25,000 MQM today, and either had $3,000 MDQ or $25k spend on an eligible AmEx, or have the MQD waiver due to a non-US address, then you would be Silver starting tomorrow, then all the way through 2023, and until Jan 31 2024. However, on Jan 1, 2023, your status tracker (which would then be for 2024 status) would resent to zero MQD (because they never carry over), and zero MQM (because you used up all of your accumulated 25,000 to get to Silver).

If the above was true, but come November you fly 22,000 MQM on a $2,500 ticket, then after your trip you would be at 47,000 MQM and $5,500 MQD. You would still be Silver for the remainder of 2022 and all of 2023, but on Jan 1 your Silver status would "consume" 25k of your MQM - so you would start the year with 22,000 MQM and $0 MQD.

At that point, you would need 3,000 MQM and $3,000 spend to RE-qualify Silver (which would take you all the way through Jan 2025). But if you want to get to Gold (for the remainder of 2023 and all of 2024), you would need to earn an additional 28,000 MQMs (total 50,000) and $6,000 spend if you are subject to spend requirements.

The main things to remember are
  • The MQM and MQD that you earn today are always accrued toward next year's status.
  • This year's status was earned last year.
  • Spend (MQDs or AmEx) always resets to $0 on Jan 1
  • MQDs never carry over
  • Status earned this year (in 2022) does not give you a "head start" on the next level of status next year (in 2023). In other words, the threshold for Gold next year will be 50k MQM - not your existing Silver status plus 25k. Carryover MQM can help with this, but the spend requirement remains.This is true at all levels. I am Diamond and will carry over close to 400,000 MQMs into 2023, which is MORE than enough to re-qualify. But I will still need to hit $15,000 MQMs to extend my status
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

To answer accurately, we need to know how you're getting Silver status. It can make a big difference.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To answer accurately, we need to know how you're getting Silver status. It can make a big difference.
Basic travel will get me the MQMs and I have the Amex waiver.

I think I'm starting to understand this. So basically in 2023, I'll get a head start of the 22k but need either the waiver + the additional MQMs to make Gold. Then so fourth. So essentially, the MQMs above the tier will carry over, but I still either need the spend or the waiver. Is that right?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

I think I'm starting to understand this. So basically in 2023, I'll get a head start of the 22k but need either the waiver + the additional MQMs to make Gold. Then so fourth. So essentially, the MQMs above the tier will carry over, but I still either need the spend or the waiver. Is that right?
That is correct. It’s really very generous if you have a big year and you can set yourself up for maintaining Gold / Plat with as long as you hit the waiver
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You'll start 2023 with the approximately 22K MQM from the SIN trip plus any "extra" MQMs you had when you achieved Silver before the SIN trip (plus MQMs from any other SkyTeam travel after hitting Silver.) And yes, you need either the MQD waiver based on AmEx spend ($25,000 for all status tiers except DM) or MQD requirement unless you have a foreign address.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I remember my first skylime...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
That is correct. It’s really very generous if you have a big year and you can set yourself up for maintaining Gold / Plat with as long as you hit the waiver
Yeah. I’m never going to hit the spend requirements for Diamond and because of assorted Covid- era promotions, I’ve got enough rollover miles that I’m now working on MQMs to keep Platinum status for 2025.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
OP - have you thought about adding another 3K miles this year for Gold?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I want to know what "skylimes" are. Are there also "skylemons?" Do we turn those into "skylemonade" when we actually find a good miles redemption on DL?
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I remember my first skylime...
Have limes even returned to in-flight catering yet? ISTR there were posts in the service thread about how there weren't any...
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
put the skylime in the coconut and drank it all up.
Goodoldflyer and Zorak like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Zorak
Have limes even returned to in-flight catering yet? ISTR there were posts in the service thread about how there weren't any...
BYOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.