Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Pilot Strike Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Nothing to worry about here. Typical step in any union/management contract negotiation. Intended to make the union's position more serious so that management will consider their demands.
dw, emma dog and GagaPilot like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been in a union before. Strike authorization votes are part of the process. It's brinkmanship.
jalves, BigFishDave and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I remember being on the phone with a reissuing agent when the Delta pilots were all but certain to strike during bankruptcy. She was in tears as she knew that would be the end of the airline and her job. By all means, if you're unhappy with your pay and benefits, seek greener pastures. But don't take the others down with you.
Skicruiser58 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma dog
You can’t without wiping out the stockholders, which would also wipe out the majority of executive compensation.

Also, why do you think the pilots are worried about sympathy??? They’re just negotiating, and a strike authorization allows them to use all tools at their disposal to negotiate the most favorable contract possible. For better or worse, brinksmanship negotiations are part and parcel of union negotiations because of game theory.

A company will “never” give its best offer early because they still risk a membership no vote on the contract and a strike vote. The company also needs to look tough on the labor to satisfy shareholders, who are legally management’s boss. The union leaders pretty much can’t take an early good contract because membership will vote them out for being “soft” on the company. And members want to feel like the got the absolute best possible offer and will hold everyone accountable for what they feel should have been the result. All the parties are pretty much locked into this pattern due to their underlying roles and constraints.
I suppose my sincere response would be, why not have both sides start with realistic terms to begin with?

Or if the pilots know they hold all the cards, why give in at all? Hold firm to every demand.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I suppose my sincere response would be, why not have both sides start with realistic terms to begin with?

Or if the pilots know they hold all the cards, why give in at all? Hold firm to every demand.
If one side starts with reasonable demands and the other starts with crazy demands, and you meet halfway, where do you meet? What's half of crazy... I think it's still crazy.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I remember being on the phone with a reissuing agent when the Delta pilots were all but certain to strike during bankruptcy. She was in tears as she knew that would be the end of the airline and her job. By all means, if you're unhappy with your pay and benefits, seek greener pastures. But don't take the others down with you.
Not how the airline industry works. Seniority is everything. Working toward a better contract at your current airline makes way more sense than leaving and starting over.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Not how the airline industry works. Seniority is everything. Working toward a better contract at your current airline makes way more sense than leaving and starting over.
I'm well aware of how seniority works. I'm not sure what that had to do with my post. Had the Delta pilots gone on strike in bankruptcy it would have been the end of the company. They were willing to put everyone at the company out of a job just because you want more money. I'm saying that doesn't sit well with me.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’m one of the few airline pilots out there that could care less about getting more money. Sure, it’s great, but what I would really like is:

Less fatiguing schedules. Part 117 is a complete joke and the general public has no clue how tired airline employees are. Much less how long they have been on duty.

Competent dispatchers and crew schedulers. They should be required to take more certification classes than what they do.

More time off to spend at home with family.

But DL pilots will never strike. There’s no way they would ever be released. It would be a major breakdown in transportation infrastructure. It’s all smoke and mirrors, just a typical negotiating tactic.

And no, I’m not a pilot for DL.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I'm well aware of how seniority works. I'm not sure what that had to do with my post. Had the Delta pilots gone on strike in bankruptcy it would have been the end of the company. They were willing to put everyone at the company out of a job just because you want more money. I'm saying that doesn't sit well with me.
Theres next to 0% chance they’d have had a complete, shut the airline down, strike. More likely they’d do work to rule, no OT, etc, because the pilots don’t want to kill the airline.

Kind of like the railroad contracts that were just signed… no one really wants to shut things down. But both sides want to make sure they have the most perceived concessions from the other side possible.

Your question about why not come in with a reasonable offer? That’s the difference between competitive and collaborative negotiations. Unless the labor group and management both see large potential upside by working together, it’s a competitive negotiation. That means it’s a fixed pie and any slice I don’t get is yours… again, you may come in with a reasonable offer, but the other side’s job is to get every last ounce of concessions possible to ensure they get the largest slice of pie they possibly can. Game theory states that the union has to have strike on the table, and the company has to drag things out under the old contract as long as possible… meaning they generally won’t settle until 11:59 on the last possible day of negotiations.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Put me down in the camp that a strike authorization vote is merely part of the negotiation process and entirely expected.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Put me down in the camp that a strike authorization vote is merely part of the negotiation process and entirely expected.
If I understand the process, it is really the only way the union can push a timeline for an agreement. W/o the strike threat the company can just negotiate in bad faith while the union gets paid on the old contract.

So yes, just an automatic part of the game.
emma dog and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

Uh-oh!! Here we go again!! Gosh! Hope not!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well DL did cut back the holiday schedules in Nov/Dec...
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Contract negotiations drove me crazy when I was in a union. Both sides came in with ridiculous demands that everybody knew were impossible. Then they had to go through this ritualistic process of "negotiations," with regular propaganda efforts on both sides, everyone claiming the other side was unreasonable, followed by a strike authorization vote, etc. Usually what happened was at the very last minute the union president would meet the company president at a diner for breakfast and they would hammer it out--without the teams' presence. Such a waste of time and resources.

And don't just blame unionization. Labor unions are a result of market forces. If you don't treat your employees properly, they're gonna want to unionize. It's just that over time they become ossified institutions just like corporations.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
If I understand the process, it is really the only way the union can push a timeline for an agreement. W/o the strike threat the company can just negotiate in bad faith while the union gets paid on the old contract.

So yes, just an automatic part of the game.
I'm curious to know why you think the union negotiates in good faith but the company doesn't.
jalves likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.