Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Weather Waiver for Hurricane Ian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Weather Waiver for Hurricane Ian

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ryw
This is flyer talk, what isn’t a mileage run or a mattress run?
That was MY point! But I wasn't familiar with the term "mattress run" before.

Originally Posted by ryw
(I was originally going to stay with a friend, but then they were going to be out of town, so I figured I’d keep the mileage run flights and just get an extra hotel night out if it). Alas I ended up cancelling and getting the ecredits - even if there’s no waiver for ATL, feels like it might be easier to avoid possible delays.
Good call. There is no need to do an optional trip during a known highly-stressed period.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Slightly unrelated, but for pax who have trips planned for the near future that likely will not be able to go due to severe damage at a rental unit, how much grace is expected with regard to RUCs that were already applied and use of a companion certificate?

Any chance I can get my RUCs back or applied to a new flight (I used 8 for this trip), and any chance I can use the companion certificate applied to a new flight, or am I SOL?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
So Delta as well as other carriers have RSW flights scheduled for 10/3 but there is a TFR for RSW limiting operations to humanitarian flights only through 10/7. One can buy tickets for flights that will probably not be allowed to operate.

I noticed DL did have a special section ATL-RSW-ATL (B752) yesterday , Saturday, DL 9988.. Not sure what that was about.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:25 pm

And indeed, everything DL has into RSW for tomorrow is now cancelled. But Tuesday's flights are still for sale.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:00 am

Results

Originally Posted by skislc
Are the AA tix main cabin? If so, you should be able to get AA credit back, though not sure how much value that has for you. Regardless, it looks like DL is now zeroed out tomorrow so it's all moot, a good example of how quickly things can change during IROPS.

Will defer to someone more knowledgable than I on if you'll be able to preserve the return on DL. It seems like something that's a reasonable ask, and as a plat I'd bet I could get someone to force it through even if it's not technically "allowed", but the odds of it working if it's not allowed by the book are of course lower without status.

Good luck, and I'm glad that you've got a backup plan to make it up to the wedding. That's the most important thing... the rest is just money and you can sort that out later .

Thanks for the advise I received before the trip. Just to follow up, got to Boston safely. As expected, I got an email from Delta cancelling my Thursday Sept 29th flight and putting me on Fri am flight. I couldn't get a live human on phone at Delta, did the online chat, got passed from 1st rep to a second one, second one confirmed Delta could cancel Thursday outbound flight while preserving Sun return leg, but that this would take a transfer to a third Delta chat rep, at this point up came a message that wait time was expected to be 423 minutes. At this stage I gave up, found Jetblue BOS to TPA for Sunday for $330 each, booked them and then cancelled the entire Delta reservation. Now on to seeking reimbursement from travel insurance. And my daughters wedding in Maine was beautiful.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:25 am

RSW to Have Limited Reopening to Airline Flights Wednesday 10/5

From the RSW website.

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IS READY TO OPEN

FORT MYERS, Fla. (Oct. 2, 2022) – Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Fort Myers, Florida, will be opening on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022, for limited commercial flight operations. There will be some changes we would like everyone to be aware of before coming to the airport.
  • The initial hours of operation for security checkpoints at RSW will be between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. with flights operating between 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
  • Due to impacts from Hurricane Ian, please use caution and leave extra time to get to the airport. The roadways at RSW are open.
  • Some of the many amenities you have come to expect at RSW may not be available when we first open. Concessions will have limited food and beverage and other items may be in short supply.
  • Although restrooms will be open, we will not have drinking water available in the terminal until the boil water notice in our area has been lifted.
  • For any questions about specific flights, please go to your airline directly as they will have the most up-to-date information.
  • When you get to the airport, check to see what gate your airline will be using. Some airlines will be operating from different concourses than usual.
  • The long- and short-term parking lots are open; however, shuttle buses may take a little longer.
  • Rental car agencies will have limited operations. Please contact your agency for the most current information. If you are using an off-airport rental car agency or hotel shuttle, please contact them directly.
  • Airport Plaza gas station and the 7-Eleven convenience store are open, but may have limited supplies.
  • The airport is not a public shelter. We ask that only people traveling come to the airport.
We will continue to post operational updates on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the airport’s website, flylcpa.com. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and patience during this difficult time. Our #1 priority is your safety and we needed to make sure everything at RSW was ready to serve our travelers and the community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.