FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Tests boarding using 2 jetbridges @ CVG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2095213-dl-tests-boarding-using-2-jetbridges-cvg.html)

WillBarrett_68 Oct 23, 2022 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 34702941)
Are you sure? LGA used to handle DC-10-40 aircraft which had a far higher weight than a 767. Didn't NW have a special version with an extra center landing gear made so it could be flown into and out of LGA?

the DC-10-30/40 (and all of their sub-variants) have the center main gear, these aren't "special" versions and I doubt it had anything to do with LGA specifically. It had bigger fuel tanks thank the 10-10 and hence needed to support more weight.

N830MH Oct 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer (Post 34702094)
I wish that Airbus had made the A321 2L door usable for boarding. Those planes take forever to load.

Yeah! It takes too long! They don’t have in the back of the aircraft. There are 200 passengers on the plane. It took about 30 minutes for boarding the aircraft. Way too long!

HDQDD Oct 24, 2022 5:16 pm

It always amazes me how (US) airlines try the 2 bridge boarding every so often, and then abandon it again. Those double jetway companies must have the same sales guys that convinced the TSA to buy the slow ANALogic EDS machines…. :D

I think the dual jetway idea usually fails, because US airlines just don’t have the extra peeps to run two jetways at arrival and before departure. That and of course the space requirement. Even airports that do have them in the US rarely use them (at least for US carriers).

andrewk829 Oct 24, 2022 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 34641998)
A 767 is not an issue at LGA. Since the perimeter is 1500 miles + DEN, a 767 would not have any issue doing ATL.

Historically, Delta flew 767s (-200/300/400) into LGA when they had them in domestic configurations. The 767-300 had 261 seats, 767-400 had 289 seats and they routinely did LGA-ATL with every seat filled.

There are three reasons you won't see 767s from Delta anymore at LGA. One is that LGA is now a hub. When 767s were frequently seen on ATL-LGA up until the mid-2000s, Delta out of LGA was more or less an operation flying the Shuttle to BOS/DCA out of the Marine Terminal, hourly flights to ATL and regular flights to the CVG and DFW hubs and then a lot of Florida, plus a very small handful of regional flights. Nothing like today where you can take DL to basically any mid-size city in the Eastern Time Zone. Before, if those customers wanted to be on Delta, it was take the ATL flight and connect. With nonstops now, you don't need as many flow passengers on LGA-ATL. Second are airplane sizes. Going from a 261 seat domestic configuration to a 226 international configuration tightens it on one side, meanwhile on the other side, 757s back then were 180 seats, not the 199 nowadays (and you've got the 193 seat A321s). When you were doing 2 out of 3 flights on a 757 and then a third on a 767, you basically get the same capacity as 3x 321 in the current configuration. Third is the new LGA design. The old D1 and D3 at LGA could handle 767s back in the day. Under the new design, the largest plane that is designed to fit is a 757. Every inch of the new terminal is accounted for, and there's no way that they were going to plan for an unlikely/un-needed 767 when you can fit 2 RJ spots in there instead.

I lived in Cincinnati in the glory days of the CVG hub (mid-late 1990s). I flew to/from LGA quite often for work and remember lots of flights on domestically-configured 767s between LGA and CVG. It kind of saddens me that widebodies on domestic flights have become extreme rarities for U.S. airlines. I lived in the SFO area for a time, during which my loyalty shifted over to UA, and I remember frequent SFO-ORD flights on 747s.

andrewk829 Oct 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Two-door boarding is not uncommon at a number of European and Asian airports that park the planes in remote locations and transport passengers between concourse and plane by bus. As others have reported here, Southwest also does it at airports in SoCal. It is so much faster and more efficient; one wonders why it is not a more common procedure.

WillBarrett_68 Oct 25, 2022 7:37 am

Originally Posted by andrewk829 (Post 34706604)
It kind of saddens me that widebodies on domestic flights have become extreme rarities for U.S. airlines.

passengers put a huge value on frequency

zulu1128 Oct 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Did this for the second time today at B3/5. Really the only difference is you get to sit on the plane an additional 15 minutes prior to pushback. 🤣