Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a segment of a ticket to Premium Select

Old Sep 22, 22, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

Hi -
Have 2 tickets on 2 separate reservations.
Tickets purchased at the same time, same price, same fare class, etc.
Roundtrip tickets, purchased in W.
The return leg is ATH-ATL-XXX.

Premium Select seats became available per Expertflyer.
So availability was showing P5 A4 G3 for just the ATH-ATL leg.

I worked with several agents to try to do this
- 3 agents via the iMessage service told me there was no inventory available (and one who refused to push me through to anyone else)
- 1 agent transfered me and after 2 hours wait, told me it could be done for $346 (unfortunately, I had fallen asleep waiting)
- A call to DL 6 hours after that message above, where inventory was still the same and no significant dates had passed (i.e., within 7/14/21 days of departure), and was quoted $606 to do the 2 separate tickets. This booked into P (not sure why not A or G).
- After processing the first one at $606, the agent then said "Oops, it looks like that other one just went up to $906".
- The inventory was still a P fare
- There wasn't really a solid explanation as to why this was the case, and the agent had 30 some odd years in the biz based on our conversation

Can anyone shed some light here on the difference? It appeared the agent broke the fare and reissued the ticket. This is not a seat upgrade situation.
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't upfare a single leg when segments are part of a single fare component (unless fare is broken). You need to be looking at married segment inventory availability, not individual flight segment inventory when on a single fare component and you want to upfare. The seat upgrade offers are not actually upfares (even though they change class on the segment that is upgrading) and are technically non-refundable and non-transferable. If you want to upgrade when there is no online seat upgrade offer, you need to upgrade (with an upfare) all flights on fare component (or break fare).
Mr. Tickets and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 22, 22 at 2:39 pm
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Right but... why different $$ for fares purchased in the same bucket? The $606 and $906 didn't make any sense to me since they were both P fares on identical tickets.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hard to say without more details on fare filings. Just because there is G bucket open on a flight doesn't mean there is a G fare available that can be combined with other segment when splitting flights there were booked on a single fare component across multiple fare components. Lower fare classes often have fare combination restrictions that prevent this.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GreerApproach View Post
Right but... why different $$ for fares purchased in the same bucket? The $606 and $906 didn't make any sense to me since they were both P fares on identical tickets.
My guess is that either the $606 inventory sold out during the time that the agent was processing the first ticket change or that there was originally only one seat available at this fare. With separate PNRs, the agent couldn't process both upfares at the same time. It's the same as someone buying tickets on separate PNRs and seeing the price rise. OTOH, if both had been on the same PNR, you could have paid $906 for each seat rather than getting one for the $606 charge.
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Search this Thread