Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft from forced Gate Checked bag

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Theft from forced Gate Checked bag

On a recent return from France [9/11/22] at IAD, had a layover in ATL on my way home. Unfortunately, the Chanel purse I purchased in Nice was in my carry-on which delta required me to gate check. Upon arrival I noticed the lock on my bag had been broken, and the purse ripped out of it's box.

Thus far Delta has denied any compensation. Has anyone else experienced theft from your bags at IAD or ATL lately?

Last edited by La Tache; Sep 23, 2022 at 10:45 am Reason: Spelling Correction
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Are you sure it didnt happen in France/Paris? This is a generalization and a hypothesis but Ive never seen/experienced the level of theft in Northern Europe since 2020. I had all my belongings stolen from directly above my head on a Thalys train in First Class in France while fully awake. Every item I own. Not even storing luggage at the end of the car but DIRECTLY above my head. They pulled from behind and ran at an intermediate stop. According to French and Belgian authorities they have never seen theft the way its been happening. They say almost every single train has the same story now and theft around Paris is at an all time high. Apparently they work in a team-even Uber drivers will help as spotters which I believe is what happened to me. If it can happen at that level im sure it can infiltrate the CDG baggage ring (haha).

All my colleagues in France and Italy echo this sentiment, irrespective of medium (train/bus/etc).
HDQDD, cscasi, becks1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by DLATL777; Sep 21, 2022 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the response however it did not happen in Paris, I had the bag out at customs stateside.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by La Tache
Appreciate the response however it did not happen in Paris, I had the bag out at customs stateside.
You checked the inside of the bag in ATL when the bag arrived?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I had the stolen purse in my possession at customs in IAD as CBP wanted to see the paperwork. Gate agent at IAD forced me to gate check my bag through to my final destination. I did not get the bag back from delta in ATL.
Spiff, DLATL777, cscasi and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:13 pm

I had the stolen purse in my possession at customs in IAD as CBP wanted to see the paperwork. Gate agent at IAD forced me to gate check my bag through to my final destination. I did not get the bag back from delta in ATL.
Ah got it.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Sorry for your loss. Any chance you have theft coverage through your credit card? If so, I’d file a police report and go that route. DL will do their best to deny any responsibility and will say that you shouldn’t have checked an expensive item in your luggage.
cscasi, rt23456p and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
very sorry for your loss... the few times I have had mostly BA gate gents forced me to check my carry on..
If I had anything of value in there.. I have removed it , and carried that on the plane with me.

meanwhile.. I would pursue DL until you are able to get what is owed to you.. like most airlines.. they will just keep pushing you away
hoping you just go away..
I am sure if need, there will be quite a few lawyers here in the ATL that would love to take your case.

good luck
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:29 am

DL does have a limit on coverage and I would not be surprised if this exceeds it.

While I know it won't help you for anyone else if you are "forced" to gate check step aside and take out of the bag anything you can't afford to lose (Laptops etc... ) If the gate agent "yells' at me I just smile and say "are you going to give me a written waiver of your liability limits" (That shuts them up LOL)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:40 am

Was the bin space actually full once you boarded?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chessman
Was the bin space actually full once you boarded?
Or was the bag actually oversized, even if the OP got away with it on the earlier flight.

BTW, for a TVA/VAT refund, one is often required to show the items at the airport tax refund desk to prove that they are being taken out of the country/the EU. This can prevent people from placing valuable items that have been purchased abroad in a checked bag. In addition, it can be convenient to have such items easily available to show to CBP when entering the USA.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by emma dog
DL will do their best to deny any responsibility and will say that you shouldn’t have checked an expensive item in your luggage.
All pax know that valuable items should be in carryons. But if a carrier requires you to check a carryon, it should be responsible in full for whatever you had in it, not subject to the low Montreal Convention limits on liability for checked luggage.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:37 am

To the OP

What brand is your carryon?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Why the heck would you let them take it from you, put it in your backpack or hold it. I’m sorry this happened, it hurts me to read this. I was paranoid coming back with my classic flap.

im assuming you took it carry on and not checked because you suspected theft could happen. I think the airline website also tells you to always bring aboard with you valuables.

I would argue this point to delta that they forced your valuables below and thus stolen under their operation.

Last edited by askyamaz; Sep 22, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
To the OP

What brand is your carryon?
I think it's a Hartmann spinner, I recgonise the fabric and lock logo. I had an urge to buy one last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.