Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta ever restore complimentary economy meal service on transcons?

Old Sep 20, 22, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Iím on a dinner time BOS to SFO flight. Iím in F, but itís absurd to me that Delta hasnít restored meal service in economy on these 6 hour flights. I remember taking JFK to SEA earlier in the year in economy and running into the same issue. Do you think it comes back in 2023? Are economy transcon meals still discontinued on AA and UA as well?
rt23456p and Ghoulish like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I could be wrong, but I don't think UA ever had complementary economy meals on transcons (in modern times). Not sure about AA
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:59 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat
For a brief period pre-COVID UA had hot meals in E+ only; I donít believe that has returned. However, on EWR-LAX/SFO flights operated by widebodies, UA is currently serving hot meals in Premium Plus- for now theyíre the only ones selling Premium Economy on transcons, but it looks like both DL and AA will be entering that space in the next 1-2 years.

Currently, AA is offering a cold snack in Y on JFK-LAX/SFO (maybe SNA as well) and on BOS-LAX. The afternoon/evening service is along the lines of sandwich/wrap, fruit and cheese plate or veggie and hummus plate; donít remember the breakfast options but itís along those lines
Auto Enthusiast and Adelphos like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think UA ever had complementary economy meals on transcons (in modern times). Not sure about AA
For a least a year or two pre-Covid AA served sandwiches (or equivalent meals based on time of day) to all economy customers on the A321T. Delta did something similar. I forget who introduced it first, but the other introduced it as a response
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:15 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I donít recall DL having complimentary economy meals in the past 10 years on most domestic routes. I flew E+ ATL-ANC around 2017 and packed a picnic for my family.

Werenít there free meals on the long HNL (ATL, MSP) flights and maybe the JFK-LAX/SFO? I never flew those routes so have no first hand knowledge.
Old Sep 20, 22, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by dw View Post
For a brief period pre-COVID UA had hot meals in E+ only; I donít believe that has returned. However, on EWR-LAX/SFO flights operated by widebodies, UA is currently serving hot meals in Premium Plus- for now theyíre the only ones selling Premium Economy on transcons, but it looks like both DL and AA will be entering that space in the next 1-2 years.

Currently, AA is offering a cold snack in Y on JFK-LAX/SFO (maybe SNA as well) and on BOS-LAX. The afternoon/evening service is along the lines of sandwich/wrap, fruit and cheese plate or veggie and hummus plate; donít remember the breakfast options but itís along those lines
It was for a few years UA had meals in E+ on the transcons.

Now with PP, UA dropped the E+ meals. However, in the O cabin, they are providing the full J meals
Old Sep 20, 22, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Delta had free economy meals (I define meal as a cold sandwich for this purpose) pre-Covid on most of their transcons:

https://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-...als-12-markets

Looks like AA has restored this for the JFK to SFO/LAX routes, would be great for Delta to bring it back
Auto Enthusiast, hi55us and ryw like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Sep 20, 22 at 10:54 pm
Old Sep 20, 22, 11:03 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Pre covid, the meals in coach on those transcon DL flights were a nice differentiator, especially on JFK-LAX/SFO and LAX-DCA for my own travel patterns at the time. I think my first experience with it was on an SFO-BOS flight. I’d really like to see this return!
Old Sep 20, 22, 11:43 pm

Programs: air new zealand
First time I ever had chicken breast stuffed with broccoli, and hassleback potatoes on the side, was in economy down the back on Delta from LAX to ATL a very long time ago. Sigh.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
I donít recall DL having complimentary economy meals in the past 10 years on most domestic routes. I flew E+ ATL-ANC around 2017 and packed a picnic for my family.

Werenít there free meals on the long HNL (ATL, MSP) flights and maybe the JFK-LAX/SFO? I never flew those routes so have no first hand knowledge.
They did though it was a little odd how they went about it.

RDU - SEA and v.v qualified but not RDU - LAX ó presumably because of the AS competition on SEA
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I dont think UA has meals on the EWR-HNL in main cabin, so I dont think any of the carriers are rushing to do this

I remember in the mid-2000s CO was the only airline still offering meals to all Y passengers and it was a huge marketing campaign for them. I remember flying them for a mileage run when they were still sky team and I got the meal. and let's just say it wasn't anything worth clamoring for
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:49 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
It's been a few years, but I was served meals in Y MSP-HNL.
Old Sep 21, 22, 1:04 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by gitismatty View Post
I dont think UA has meals on the EWR-HNL in main cabin, so I dont think any of the carriers are rushing to do this

I remember in the mid-2000s CO was the only airline still offering meals to all Y passengers and it was a huge marketing campaign for them. I remember flying them for a mileage run when they were still sky team and I got the meal. and let's just say it wasn't anything worth clamoring for
a complimentary light meal is served on the EWR / ORD - HNL routesÖ
here are the details

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...-hawaii-meals/
Old Sep 21, 22, 1:08 am
Original Poster

I am guessing Delta doesnít serve an economy meal on ATL-HNL now. Kind of a joke. The introduction of JFK-HNL and ATL-OGG would be a good occasion to bring back economy meals on these routes
Old Sep 21, 22, 1:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness View Post
a complimentary light meal is served on the EWR / ORD - HNL routesÖ
here are the details

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...-hawaii-meals/
thanks for the correction. the last time I looked was pre-covid

Search this Thread