Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Involuntary two-class downgrade compensation?

Involuntary two-class downgrade compensation?

Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: ba silver
Time for some regulation on downgrades the same way oversales are regulated.

There are time when passengers are downgraded when the aircraft is substituted with a smaller plane then no compensation only an obligation to rebook on the next available flight ( with a different carrier at full walk up rates if needed) or, at the passenger's absolute discretion, a refund of the fare difference on day of purchase.

However in cases of the cabin being oversold as a business decision this should be treated as IDB where volunteers are requested. If no volunteers come forward then treat the downgrade as an IDB with a refund of 4x the fare and rerouting on the flight ( on any airline) , at the passenger's absolute discretion, and all compensation paid and rebooking done before the plane is allowed to push back from the gate. That way the airline can chose what works best for their business model.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
It would be interesting to know what would happen if you just refused to move. Eventually, I imagine, they would win, but I wonder if they would back down if you simply said "I'm ticketed and confirmed for this seat, and I'm flying in it."

My counter would have been $1K for the involuntary bump and a J seat on the next flight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I thought Delta had special, custom-configured aircraft that were used to transport sports teams?
Depends on the sport. For football, no, they donít use a specially configured jet. They just pull a regular jet off the line and donít reconfigure it.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Time for some regulation on downgrades the same way oversales are regulated.

There are time when passengers are downgraded when the aircraft is substituted with a smaller plane then no compensation only an obligation to rebook on the next available flight ( with a different carrier at full walk up rates if needed) or, at the passenger's absolute discretion, a refund of the fare difference on day of purchase.

However in cases of the cabin being oversold as a business decision this should be treated as IDB where volunteers are requested. If no volunteers come forward then treat the downgrade as an IDB with a refund of 4x the fare and rerouting on the flight ( on any airline) , at the passenger's absolute discretion, and all compensation paid and rebooking done before the plane is allowed to push back from the gate. That way the airline can chose what works best for their business model.
DL already does this part. They also add $200 to the fare difference.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I thought Delta had special, custom-configured aircraft that were used to transport sports teams?
Referees fly with sports teams?

Seems risky, particularly on the way back.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
So basically status is meaningless You cannot tell me that OP was the low man on the totem pole. I do believe OP might have been the only miles ticket on the flight though.

Ominous indeed.
I was not on a milages ticket. I was on a cash fare. (And, I am PM.)
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
TBH, if the OP had said "No". I doubt they would have moved him. Personally I would have told them to pound sand and not moved. Let them throw me off. Remember UA and Dr. Dao? I would welcome a payday like that. I am sure if you look at it in their system it is a "voluntary down grade". He accepted it. We know this because OP indicated the compensation he got in the thread. The airline got greedy and pushed the envelope by telling the passenger they "have" to move. A law wouldn't change that either. Greed cannot be legislated out of existence.

The only way to stop this nonsense is to tell DL to pound sand when we can. No airline will force the issue after the obnoxious publicity UA got.
What would I have said no to? I was to be seated in Premium Select. The aircraft change resulted in an aircraft that didn't have PS.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TankerT
What would I have said no to? I was to be seated in Premium Select. The aircraft change resulted in an aircraft that didn't have PS.
I think the comment was referencing another post in the thread regarding someone moved out of D1 for NFL personnel even after they were seated. Seems we have two different downgrade scenarios in the same thread.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TankerT
I was not on a milages ticket. I was on a cash fare. (And, I am PM.)

Sorry, I thought I read you were. You were D1? And they moved you, correct? After you boarded the plane? On a GUC?

Edit: I confused a bunch of different people on this thread. Sorry, There was a person who was downgraded from D1 to coach on a mileage ticket, but it wasn't you.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depends on the sport. For football, no, they donít use a specially configured jet. They just pull a regular jet off the line and donít reconfigure it.
Iím also a bit surprised that NFL players donít fly private. Given how much theyíre paid, why would they want to be near peasants?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Iím also a bit surprised that NFL players donít fly private. Given how much theyíre paid, why would they want to be near peasants?
When the team flies to play a game, they fly together on a chartered jet (often a regular DL frame which is pulled for the charter). This is effectively flying private.

Or you could be the Patriots, who own their own 767.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Peasants can be rabid fans.

2. Team policy might require that players travel together to games in order to avoid no shows due to travel issues. Keeping everyone together before a game might also be a way to limit drinking, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.