Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Involuntary two-class downgrade compensation?

Involuntary two-class downgrade compensation?

Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree, but my guess is that the sports people were willing to buy extremely expensive FULL business class fares. However, they probably would have needed to contact some DL account executive to be able to overbook D1 by more than a seat or two, assuming that they weren't originally on a flight that was cancelled or badly delayed.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:49 am

So basically status is meaningless You cannot tell me that OP was the low man on the totem pole. I do believe OP might have been the only miles ticket on the flight though.

Ominous indeed.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
I would have refused the downgrade and ask to be rebooked. This is ridiculous. I don't know of any law that requires airlines to give priority to sports referees.

New laws need to be passed to make it as expensive and inconvenient as possible for airlines to engage in this behavior.

Downgrades should always be done by asking for volunteers. I' m sure DL would have found someone if you offer enough money. You will get volunteers for a $ 10000 voucher.

If it doesn't work then airlines should be required to downgrade based on reverse order.. last in first out, with the downgrade being treated as IDB, that is payable at 4× the fare difference. Also, at the passenger's sole discretion airlines should be required to reroute on the airline of the passenger' s choice regardless of cost.
While I am certainly dubious of any status program, the idea that a company can make business decisions based on the criteria they see fit is not unreasonable. The airlines are deregulated - we have low fares and relatively expansive competition for our travel dollars. Re-regulating even some of the industry over this seems extremely heavy handed.

DL can kick me off any plane it wants too. So can UA. Or any other carrier. If you do not like the way a carrier operates, change carriers.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
While I am certainly dubious of any status program, the idea that a company can make business decisions based on the criteria they see fit is not unreasonable. The airlines are deregulated - we have low fares and relatively expansive competition for our travel dollars. Re-regulating even some of the industry over this seems extremely heavy handed.

DL can kick me off any plane it wants too. So can UA. Or any other carrier. If you do not like the way a carrier operates, change carriers.
Unfortunately all cariers operate like this. This is why there needs to be some regulation to level the playing field. Airlines don't seem to mind government interventio when it come to mooching bailout cash.

It's about fairness. If I give my money for a business class seat I expect a business class seat. I understand there might be unforseen circumstances where a downgrade is necessary but it seems to happen a lot more these days especially on North American carriers.

What makes the DL situation particularly callous is that they bumped an already boarded passenger so they can sell the seat for more money.

No other business operates like this. Imagine if you buy a ticket to a concert or sporting event and when you're in your seat you asked to move to lesser quality seats because someone showed up and offered more money for the seats. I don't think that would be allowed.
altabello and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Almost had this happen to me a couple of years back in ATL. Paid First on a D1 bird. Asked the agent to check my account information ag5ain while I called the Platinum desk. After finding out that I'm also a Shareholder who has no problem raising a ruckus with them the agent decided to get a Red Coat and then a Manager showed up just as the Platinum desk was checking it out. They decided to move somebody instead and when I looked at the app the victim was somebody who was a couple of spots up from the bottom of the cleared list.

I haven't had anything like that happen since the agent in BOM (while they still flew there) bumped a Gold up instead me as a Platinum. Lots of adventures with that between the Gate Agent, the Purser and even the Captain chimed in when the Gate staff messed up the flight paperwork.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Unfortunately all cariers operate like this. This is why there needs to be some regulation to level the playing field. Airlines don't seem to mind government interventio when it come to mooching bailout cash.

It's about fairness. If I give my money for a business class seat I expect a business class seat. I understand there might be unforseen circumstances where a downgrade is necessary but it seems to happen a lot more these days especially on North American carriers.

What makes the DL situation particularly callous is that they bumped an already boarded passenger so they can sell the seat for more money.

No other business operates like this. Imagine if you buy a ticket to a concert or sporting event and when you're in your seat you asked to move to lesser quality seats because someone showed up and offered more money for the seats. I don't think that would be allowed.

TBH, if the OP had said "No". I doubt they would have moved him. Personally I would have told them to pound sand and not moved. Let them throw me off. Remember UA and Dr. Dao? I would welcome a payday like that. I am sure if you look at it in their system it is a "voluntary down grade". He accepted it. We know this because OP indicated the compensation he got in the thread. The airline got greedy and pushed the envelope by telling the passenger they "have" to move. A law wouldn't change that either. Greed cannot be legislated out of existence.

The only way to stop this nonsense is to tell DL to pound sand when we can. No airline will force the issue after the obnoxious publicity UA got.
stevendorechester likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
OP wasn’t on the plane when they said no. I don’t think it would have gone well bad they poached their original seat.

I’d insist on cash compensation and or recommendation on a different flight, whichever suited me better.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by RIP-PSA
I was downgraded to coach from bizclass on DL LHR-JFK when a group of NFL referees and other officials boarded.

I was actually seated and enjoying a preflight nip when a VS rep boarded (DL has no local staff since they co-own VS) who informed me that I had been bumped.

Never happened to me before, but then again I’ve had several things happen to me at LHR that never happened to me before (or since).

All sorts of complications: My company was due the $100 or so UK bizclass seat tax plus fare difference. Meanwhile I refused to move until I was promised an entire middle row so that all 6’8” of me could sleep the entire flight. Plus 5,000 Skymiles plus a systemwide upgrade.

The whole process took maybe 20 minutes and two or three VS agents in the phone to ATL to negotiate.

I slept the entire flight and never knew the difference. No complaints.
Originally Posted by emma dog
OP wasn’t on the plane when they said no. I don’t think it would have gone well bad they poached their original seat.

I’d insist on cash compensation and or recommendation on a different flight, whichever suited me better.
The post you replied to refers to the "OP" above. The person was booted from a business class seat after having already boarded the plane.

-RM
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RIP-PSA
Plus 5,000 Skymiles plus a systemwide upgrade.
woo you done ripped yourself off. you could have asked for a LOT more than that for DL to not piss off the NFL
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TankerT
I found out about 90 minutes before boarding at the KLM lounge. No rebooking options were offered.
Had something similar happen a few years ago. Was at the KLM lounge when there was a flight change & I was downgraded to Premium Select. I called DL & they moved me to another flight which got me to my destination a little later but I was put back in D1.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
So basically status is meaningless You cannot tell me that OP was the low man on the totem pole. I do believe OP might have been the only miles ticket on the flight though.

Ominous indeed.
Since Delta does a ton of business with the NFL and its member clubs flying around the country every week, and the OP is just one person, I can see why DL/VS favored the NFL personnel over the OP. Having observed that, I think this stinks. The problem is that you are in a foreign country and basically have no rights against a police officer who could punch your lights out or shoot you and probably get away with it.

On this line, the whole business of a team having an "official airline" is a big joke. When I lived in Maryland near BWI some years ago, I remember driving around the back side of the airport to use the post office back by air freight where the military charters were staged, and saw a Delta 757 among the charters. It turned out to be the Atlanta Falcons charter waiting to take the team home after playing the Ravens. Of course, at the time, either ValuJet or AirTran was the "official airline" of the Falcons.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree, but my guess is that the sports people were willing to buy extremely expensive FULL business class fares. However, they probably would have needed to contact some DL account executive to be able to overbook D1 by more than a seat or two, assuming that they weren't originally on a flight that was cancelled or badly delayed.
Or the deal the NFL has with Delta requires the Big D to accommodate key NFL personnel up front.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I have no problem with Delta asking for volunteers and paying them to move, but they shouldn't be moving paid ($ or miles) passengers out of their seats involuntarily.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I thought Delta had special, custom-configured aircraft that were used to transport sports teams?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I thought Delta had special, custom-configured aircraft that were used to transport sports teams?
Yes, for (team) charters, but they wouldn't run an entire aircraft just for a few officials if this can be avoided.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.