Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are Delta One Skymiles redemption value always so high

Are Delta One Skymiles redemption value always so high

Old Sep 16, 22, 6:34 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise View Post
At this point , I only use the Skypesos to buy upgrades.
I use them to buy champagne!
Old Sep 16, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I dunno - with award tickets earning MQDs, it seems pretty easy to get 1.2 cents to 1.4 cents of value for SkyPesos on regular way domestic flights. That, combined with the occasional flash sale, makes SkyMiles rather easy to burn IMO
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 16, 22, 2:43 pm
cnh

Programs: Hilton Honors (Team Member)
If you buy a cheaper first class award fare with a connection and the schedule changes allow you to switch the flight, they will let you switch to a Delta One flight at no extra cost. I did this earlier this year and was able to switch to ATL to HNL D1 for 75,000 miles in the app when directly booking the Delta One cost around 300,000 miles. Granted this was earlier this year so I'm not sure if they quietly changed the rules allowing this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 2:54 pm

I just did the math - I have earned 270K SkyPesos this year, including 60K+ from Amex spend, 50K in an Amex retention offer, 42K in various "customer service" items (compensation for delays, late bags, etc) and 117K from flights. I have redeemed about 350K in Skypesos, including 296K for two round trips JFK to BCN in J, about 35K for a round trip from JFK to RDM connecting through SEA (was able to upgrade one leg to D1 via an RUC), and various other small redemptions. I would say I got value out of SkyMiles. While flash sales are hard to come by, I think off season transcons/long flights, upgraded via RUC, is a clever way to get good value out of SkyMiles too.
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
You can often back door into Delta One via Virgin and save a hundreds of thousands of miles.
Would you mind expanding on this method?
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments View Post
Would you mind expanding on this method?
Poster is referring to using VS miles to book awards on D1 aircraft. As already noted above, not particularly useful if you are a regular DL flyer and have a stash of Skymiles and are looking at various ways to use them.
Old Sep 17, 22, 4:30 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Poster is referring to using VS miles to book awards on D1 aircraft. As already noted above, not particularly useful if you are a regular DL flyer and have a stash of Skymiles and are looking at various ways to use them.
Also not that useful since DL rarely releases D1 space to Virgin Atlantic. It's rare enough that the blogs often cover it when it happens.
Old Sep 17, 22, 5:16 am

Programs: DL PM
As a datapoint, tonight I booked ANC-CDG for travel 6 months out: 340,000 miles for D1. Assuming 1 cent per mile, thats a value of $3400. Had I paid cash, the ticket would have been $7600, thus over the twice the amount of the mileage ticket. So, I was overall happy to redeem miles for a J award (well, technically OZ).
Air Houston likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
And their partner awards? Cause most Americans don't travel internationally.
I'm not sure what you're saying/asking.

My main point is that can book Mexico-EU (via US) in J for 70k (or 75k, dont rember which).

If you can position to city outside the US, can save many miles. However this isn't always possible for everyone
Old Sep 17, 22, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying/asking.

My main point is that can book Mexico-EU (via US) in J for 70k (or 75k, dont rember which).

If you can position to city outside the US, can save many miles. However this isn't always possible for everyone
They have the most ridiculously priced awards even for partners. The argument was that domestic ones were snapped up by the Americans. How about the international flights?
Old Sep 17, 22, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
As a datapoint, tonight I booked ANC-CDG for travel 6 months out: 340,000 miles for D1. Assuming 1 cent per mile, that’s a value of $3400. Had I paid cash, the ticket would have been $7600, thus over the twice the amount of the mileage ticket. So, I was overall happy to redeem miles for a J award (well, technically OZ).
The problem with these comparisons and CPM numbers is that you can often get much cheaper J fares simply by changing departure or return by a few days. In this case, there are Z fares on ANC-CDG for $4448 with a 7-day minimum stay requirement. The $7600 roundtrip fares look to be ones that don't meet the 7-day min stay requirement. It's likely if you extended the stay a bit, you could meet the 7-day min stay of the cheaper Z fares and save over $3000. Most people will have the flexibility to add a few days when it means saving that much money on the airfare.

t1c, GagaPilot and krakendown like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL PM
The problem with these comparisons and CPM numbers is that you can often get much cheaper J fares simply by changing departure or return by a few days. In this case, there are Z fares on ANC-CDG for $4448 with a 7-day minimum stay requirement. The $7600 roundtrip fares look to be ones that don't meet the 7-day min stay requirement. It's likely if you extended the stay a bit, you could meet the 7-day min stay of the cheaper Z fares and save over $3000. Most people will have the flexibility to add a few days when it means saving that much money on the airfare.

This particular trip I could only spare 5 days for work reasons (new job, limited vacation days - a perk of being an American). It is reassuring to see more reasonable D1 fares for longer trips that are more in line with what I have paid in the past.
Old Sep 19, 22, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
This particular trip I could only spare 5 days for work reasons (new job, limited vacation days - a perk of being an American). It is reassuring to see more reasonable D1 fares for longer trips that are more in line with what I have paid in the past.

IMO,

1) There is a lot of value in getting a redemption for the exact dates / routes you need
2) Even taking the lower price, that's 1.3 cents per SkyMile. Most would consider that fair value. Most people redeem for economy around those prices. Redeeming for 20 hours of D1 at the same price seems like a fair redemption (not a steal, not a rip off - fair).
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
IMO,

1) There is a lot of value in getting a redemption for the exact dates / routes you need
2) Even taking the lower price, that's 1.3 cents per SkyMile. Most would consider that fair value. Most people redeem for economy around those prices. Redeeming for 20 hours of D1 at the same price seems like a fair redemption (not a steal, not a rip off - fair).
Understood. Although it should be noted that they've also added a number of restrictions to get the cheapest award mileage rates. US-EU D1 awards now all require roundtrip bookings with Sat night stays and generally 60-90 advance purchase to get cheapest award rates (similar to, but not exactly matching, requirements for cheapest D1 revenue fares). In this case, the cheapest D1 revenue fares require a 7 day minimum stay, while the cheapest D1 awards on route (340K roundtrip) only require a Sat night stay. So DL left somewhat of a gap if you can't meet the 7 day minimum stay requirement for cheapest revenue fares, you can still get cheapest award rates if you can meet the roundtrip booking with Sat night stay requirement (and advance purchase requirements).
GagaPilot likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 19, 22 at 7:52 am
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
IMO,

I've found economy to mostly be 1.5 cents per Skymile. I would say business class should be "more". At least on other airlines business class redemption values are through the roof while economy isn't (look at real first-class, easily 5 or more cents per mile).

Search this Thread