Delta Amex Promo (Instacart)

Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Delta Amex Promo (Instacart)

My wife used Instacart for the first time recently, so when I saw a miles promo on the DL site for this (I hav DL Plat Amex), I thought I would sign up. I am used to these 'register for promo' on my 2 Amex cards, no problem I thought.

Getting to the end I almost missed it, but I noticed the small print that I was going to be charged $100 per year after the first 3 months.

Needless to say I did not finish registration (I think!) but this bait and switch left me with a bad taste, I will never register for a promo again.

Mod - if wrong forum please move.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
This is how free trials work, once the trial is over, the subscription automatically renews at the then current price. That's why they offer free trials.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you have a chase card you can get additional free months and they stack. Mine doesnt renew again until November 2023 and thats all from free Chase promos but Im also signed signed up for this offer and get DL miles even though I use my chase cards to pay
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
If you are Delta Platinum or above you should be able to get Instacart + for free
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
This is how free trials work, once the trial is over, the subscription automatically renews at the then current price. That's why they offer free trials.
Understood, I just felt it wasn't worded like a free trial. More like in the dining promos, you sign on for them and if you use them then you get miles, if not, nothing happens. Maybe I misread.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
If you are Delta Platinum or above you should be able to get Instacart + for free
Hmm I did not know that. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They charge a delivery fee, don't they? What do you get for a hundred dollars a year?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Its only free for the first year.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They charge a delivery fee, don't they? What do you get for a hundred dollars a year?
Instacart+ waives the delivery fee for orders over a certain amount ($35 IIRC)
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You get free delivery within 2 hours on orders of$35.00. Some stores only require a minimum $10 purchase
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:18 am
Original Poster

It doesn't really seem like a good deal. I think we'd only use it in case of emergency (we were grounded because of Covid). Added a significant % to the cost of what we ordered.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:03 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tanglin
It doesn't really seem like a good deal. I think we'd only use it in case of emergency (we were grounded because of Covid). Added a significant % to the cost of what we ordered.
Depending on the establishment, prices will be the same as in-store or higher. Costco groceries, for example, are way overpriced, while Aldi groceries are the same.

I use it for pickup at several grocery stores, and its very convenient.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Shoprite seems to offer direct home delivery (without using instacart)--but it doesn't. The instacart route offers fewer items plus the prices have a mark-up (15-20%) over the in-store pricing.
Amazon prime in conjunction with Whole Foods seems to be the way to go--price and selection wise.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by nrr
Shoprite seems to offer direct home delivery (without using instacart)--but it doesn't. The instacart route offers fewer items plus the prices have a mark-up (15-20%) over the in-store pricing.
Amazon prime in conjunction with Whole Foods seems to be the way to go--price and selection wise.
I wouldn't completely dismiss Instacart + Costco. They occasionally run some really great promos (coupon codes) that can make the purchase worth it.

I'm more than happy to sign up for the free Instacart+ memberships. Just set a calendar reminder about a week before the free trial period ends for cancelling the membership. I just wouldn't use it that often.

I personally haven't used Prime delivery for Whole Foods since they started charging $10 for each delivery (even with Prime membership). Not sure if that's a national fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.