Trouble with DTW to MNL in December

Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Trouble with DTW to MNL in December

I'm really struggling to figure this out...
I need to get from DTW to MNL (Dec 21 - Jan 3) and there are options listed on delta.com but they fail every time I click the "Buy Tickets" button. I called their platinum medallion desk and they said something like "Korean Air won't allow us to sell those seats"....I have no idea why they are listed on delta.com if they can't sell the seats....but that's besides the point.

I don't know if this is just a restriction for certain flights, and maybe I should try a broader range of dates?

Their only solution was to book a flight from DTW to ICN on Delta.com, and then book a flight from ICN to MNL on korean air...but that seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA. That would basically mean I have to leave customs, collect my bags, and then try to check back in from the outside world (going through customs and security again...) and with a toddler with me...that's just not an option.

I am currently platinum with Delta, if I tried to book the entire flight from Korean Air, would my platinum benefits kick in? Primarily the free upgrade from Main to Comfort Plus....The medallion desk couldn't answer that question for me.

At this point I'm ready to just abandon Delta and find a new airline, but losing out on my current platinum perks would really suck...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ChadDa3mon
Their only solution was to book a flight from DTW to ICN on Delta.com, and then book a flight from ICN to MNL on korean air...but that seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA. That would basically mean I have to leave customs, collect my bags, and then try to check back in from the outside world (going through customs and security again...) and with a toddler with me...that's just not an option.
You won't have to clear immigration/customs, claim, and recheck bags and reclear customs/immigration. Korean Air is one of the exception partners that DL will through-check for bags on separate tickets.

This does not mean this option is not without risk in the event of delays/IROPS (plus impacts due to schedule changes this far out) and you would need to allow a long enough layover to be able to still check-in at a transfer desk or service counter for the KE flight in case you're unable to check-in for the ICN-MNL leg before arriving at ICN. Also with a ticket to ICN on DL, even if you are "connecting" in ICN, technically you would need to be able to enter South Korea, in addition to the Philippines, (COVID testing, K-ETA, etc.).
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Also with a ticket to ICN on DL, even if you are "connecting" in ICN, technically you would need to be able to enter South Korea, in addition to the Philippines, (COVID testing, K-ETA, etc.).
This is not accurate. K-ETA is not required for transit at ICN. Timatic is clear when entering ICN as a transit point vs. a final destination. Bags will be tagged to MNL, boarding pass for the KE flight can be printed before leaving the US. Land, go through transit security, done.

Doesnt matter that OP will be holding separate tickets.

OP: Go here and enter your details.

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic?i=TIMATIC&POS=US
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Bags will be tagged towards to MNL if you book separate tickets. Currently SK doesn't require COVID Testing anymore so all you may need to do is K-ETA if there is some issue with transit that lands you air side (e.g. delay/cancellation of ICN-MNL). But the transit is smooth and I haven done it more than I can count when doing JFK - ICN - BKK/HKG/SIN/SYD.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Bags will be tagged towards to MNL if you book separate tickets. Currently SK doesn't require COVID Testing anymore so all you may need to do is K-ETA if there is some issue with transit that lands you air side (e.g. delay/cancellation of ICN-MNL). But the transit is smooth and I haven done it more than I can count when doing JFK - ICN - BKK/HKG/SIN/SYD.
When did the COVID testing requirement change? I flew into ICN just a few weeks ago and had to do two - one test before departure and then the second test on arrival at ICN.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
When did the COVID testing requirement change? I flew into ICN just a few weeks ago and had to do two - one test before departure and then the second test on arrival at ICN.
Government stated as of "
  • Effective September 3, 2022, a negative pre-departure COVID test result will no longer be required for incoming travelers to Korea regardless of vaccination status. However, travelers are strongly encouraged to self-test before departure, to avoid getting a positive test after arrival and being subject to a 7-day quarantine
so a week before Korean Thanksgiving to boost tourism
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This says that if you need to enter South Korea, there's a risk that you could test positive and then be forced into quarantine for a week.

BTW, DL will check bags through on separate tickets in this case, but will KE check the bag through to DL on the return if the OP purchases separate tickets?

My understanding is that if you buy tickets from KE, you would only be eligible for the DL "upgrade" to C+ at T-24.

Do the ICN-MNL and vv flights have DL codeshare flight numbers? Is there perhaps a different ICN-MNL flight that's also a legal connection that can be booked as part of a DL TPAC ticket? Have you checked fare class availability for the various segments on EF or similar? What do the fare rules say about combinations of flights and possibly combinations of fare classes?

Try calling DL again. A different agent might know how to put the segments together on a ticket.

Is it correct to assume that you are *not* trying to get an award ticket but rather, you intend to pay with money?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's another thread (it's about an award with KE) where only show waitlisted in KE system but confirmed by DL. Something strange is going on.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.