Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL SC accept meal vouchers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
The one thing I’ve learned from Flyertalk is that a lot of Delta flyers can’t go more than about 30 minutes without a drink. So if you’re that addicted I can see where a drink in the sky club could be considered sustenance.

After all apparently failure to get a preboarding drink will send some people into withdrawal😂
One of the many things I've learned from Flyertalk is that people think what they do is right, what others do is wrong, any rule change that benefits them is "correct", any rule change that harms them is outrageous, and they are a more valuable customer to Delta than any other customer.
IggySD, wrp96, AKC6 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Wow.

I rarely flame, but this one is just too much.

1.5 MM and I've NEVER even had or requested a meal voucher.

I've also never paid for a drink in the SC so what do I know!?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Wow.

I rarely flame, but this one is just too much.

1.5 MM and I've NEVER even had or requested a meal voucher.

I've also never paid for a drink in the SC so what do I know!?
Ahh, so you're just against meal vouchers generally, so you flame people who experience IROPs because that's never happened to you?

This is my first time receiving meal vouchers I believe, but no, I did not request them. Delta just emails them out. So I guess, good for you for never having problems with flights? I don't even know how else to respond.

As for never paying for a drink in the SC, again, good for you, I guess? You flame people because they want to drink better alcohol than the complimentary options? I guess you only ever order the cheapest item on a menu when you go out for food or drinks, and wouldn't be caught dead in a place that charges more than $15 for an entree?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by xliioper
You are missing my point entirely. It would likely require additional effort and overhead to allow Sky Clubs to process these (unlike something like a debit/gift card) beyond the airport vendors. I would not expect DL to put in that effort for Sky Clubs to be able to process these given they would only be useful for booze at Sky Clubs. I'm not passing judgement on how people actually use them, only trying to think how DL would view the effort from their perspective. If they are useful for booze at airport vendors, I don't really care if people use them for that. I just wouldn't be at all surprised at the fact that the Sky Clubs are not set up to process these and it's doesn't really seem worth to it try to argue with agents over this if they aren't able to handle them.
Ahh, apologies then. There seems to be a contingent of teetotalers who show up in most alcohol related threads judging those of us who like to imbibe and your post came across that way to me. But as the jetsfan who I believe is from Riverside says, the vouchers are essentially a credit card number, which if used in the SC would cost DL less than other vendors. Maybe they should encourage using them this way.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
I'm not passing judgement on how people actually use them,
lol ok, "not for boozing it up" sounds pretty freaking judgmental iyam
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
We used it for breakfast at a lodge near the airport (i.e., not even an airport hotel).
what is the difference between an "airport hotel" and one that is merely "near the airport"?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:30 pm

The voucher is like a virtual credit card - it has a Mastercard Cc number, cvv, expiration, billing zip code. Any merchant that accepts credit cards can run this charge. My guess is there's an MCC restriction forcing you to use it at a place coded as some sort of food or beverage establishment, though I didn't try at any other place.

Ultimately, they did accept it in the SC, and printed out a receipt so I know they didn't pretend to charge it, so they already have the ability to accept it.

As for whether or not to use it for alcohol, I have no reason to believe that Delta does not want its passengers to use it for alcohol. I also have no reason to care whether Delta wants its passengers to use it for alcohol as long as it's not specifically excluded. If I were Delta, I'd rather have someone use it in the SC where Delta only actually has to pay 25c on the dollar compared to a restaurant not owned by them where they probably have to pay dollar for dollar.
I had one of the virtual Mastercard vouchers sent to me due to repetitive flight delays at LGA . I didn't need it because I had plenty to eat in the LGA SkyClub (the new one). Never requested it but it was sent (and oddly two were sent). I left one unused but used the other for a takeout prepared food joint near me that has a pay it forward option for those in need. It went through successfully. I don't feel guilty and I doubt Delta would mind much either. So it doesn't require an airport purchase and the MCC acceptance is fairly broad too (think it codes as convenience take out food or something like that). And I don't see any issue using it for a premium purchase at the SkyClub either. Ultimately you've been inconvenienced by Delta and this is usually only offered when under their control.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by dave456; Sep 3, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
what is the difference between an "airport hotel" and one that is merely "near the airport"?
I was mostly thinking - hotels that airlines have agreements with to put up either flight crew and/or distressed passengers. Basically, those that would be used to seeing vouchers. The server didn't know what the voucher was but he saw the card number and took it in stride.

Also, I think the ability to use vouchers for alcohol may be affected by state law, so could be different in different airports. I recall North Carolina is very strict about discounts on alcohol. But someone said that happened at JFK, so may be another reason for the "no alcohol" since NY isn't strict on alcohol.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
We tried to use ours at the shops on the concourse for chips and water. We were told not valid...
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
shuttle

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
A hotel-operated shuttle.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AKC6
A hotel-operated shuttle.
This doesn't work for hotels located in the airport so that no shuttle is needed. Others might be so close to public transportation to the airport that a shuttle would be superfluous.

Moreover, since COVID-19 many "airport" hotels have ceased operating a shuttle. Does this mean that they're no longer airport hotels, despite the airport in their name? How about other hotels with airport in the name that never had shuttle service?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This doesn't work for hotels located in the airport so that no shuttle is needed.
I think everyone implicitly understands that these hotels would qualify as "airport hotels" regardless of what other critieria might be used for off-airport properties.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
New thread: How many Meal Vouchers in the SC for a Bottle of Dom
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was mostly thinking - hotels that airlines have agreements with to put up either flight crew and/or distressed passengers. Basically, those that would be used to seeing vouchers. The server didn't know what the voucher was but he saw the card number and took it in stride.

Also, I think the ability to use vouchers for alcohol may be affected by state law, so could be different in different airports. I recall North Carolina is very strict about discounts on alcohol. But someone said that happened at JFK, so may be another reason for the "no alcohol" since NY isn't strict on alcohol.
The laws you're thinking of relate to the business selling the alcohol or the manufacturer of alcohol, offering promos/discounts.

This is simply payment by a 3rd party. Otherwise bar couldn't accept a MC Gift card as someone else would be paying.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The laws you're thinking of relate to the business selling the alcohol or the manufacturer of alcohol, offering promos/discounts.

This is simply payment by a 3rd party. Otherwise bar couldn't accept a MC Gift card as someone else would be paying.
Sure, that may be the complete and correct interpretation of the law (I say "may be" because I also personally don't have knowledge of the laws). But the most likely scenario is that the server doesn't have a complete understanding of the law and just knows no coupons or discounts on alcohol, and a "voucher" sounds like a coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.