Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Waitlist on Korean Air flight booked with Delta miles

Waitlist on Korean Air flight booked with Delta miles

Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 4
Waitlist on Korean Air flight booked with Delta miles

Last night I booked a partner award for 2 people on Delta using SkyMiles. The flights are both operated by Korean Air (JFK-->ICN-->PNH).

I was unable to book the flights myself on the Delta website and app. I would click on the payment button, but it would always error out and say the tickets were already sold.

So, I called, and after 1.5 hours on the phone the agent was able to book the tickets. He originally told me the flights were occurring during blackout dates, and Korean Air wouldn't give Delta the inventory. That's why I couldn't book it.

However, (I'm not exactly sure what he did), but he eventually pushed the reservation through. I gave him my credit card for the taxes, and the flights were booked. I received an email with a Delta confirmation number and ticket number. The flight shows up in my Delta account and the miles were debited.

But the Delta system will not let me choose seats.

So, I obtained the Korean Air confirmation number from Delta's twitter handle and logged into Korean Air to look up the flights and select seats. When viewing my flight on Korean Air, it says that both passengers are on the "Wait-List" and it will not let me choose seats because I'm a "waitlisted passenger".

I asked the Delta twitter handle what this meant, and they are unsure. They confirmed that I am a ticketed passenger in Delta's system.

So, my question is: Is this a problem? Am I really a ticketed passenger on Korea Air? Or did they not really open up the space and I am waitlisted?
travelrrr1 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:41 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,637
Originally Posted by travelrrr1
Last night I booked a partner award for 2 people on Delta using SkyMiles. The flights are both operated by Korean Air (JFK-->ICN-->PNH).

I was unable to book the flights myself on the Delta website and app. I would click on the payment button, but it would always error out and say the tickets were already sold.

So, I called, and after 1.5 hours on the phone the agent was able to book the tickets. He originally told me the flights were occurring during blackout dates, and Korean Air wouldn't give Delta the inventory. That's why I couldn't book it.

However, (I'm not exactly sure what he did), but he eventually pushed the reservation through. I gave him my credit card for the taxes, and the flights were booked. I received an email with a Delta confirmation number and ticket number. The flight shows up in my Delta account and the miles were debited.

But the Delta system will not let me choose seats.

So, I obtained the Korean Air confirmation number from Delta's twitter handle and logged into Korean Air to look up the flights and select seats. When viewing my flight on Korean Air, it says that both passengers are on the "Wait-List" and it will not let me choose seats because I'm a "waitlisted passenger".

I asked the Delta twitter handle what this meant, and they are unsure. They confirmed that I am a ticketed passenger in Delta's system.

So, my question is: Is this a problem? Am I really a ticketed passenger on Korea Air? Or did they not really open up the space and I am waitlisted?
Something isn't right. You may have a ticket but have no reservation. I'm guessing KE refused the sale, but DL agent issued the ticket anyway. You need to call DL and tell them KE shows you are only waitlisted, not confirmed on flight. There's also possibilities that agent incorrecrly tried tp use codeshare to try and force reservation. Regardless, currently you have no seat on the flight.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:27 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Something isn't right. You may have a ticket but have no reservation. I'm guessing KE refused the sale, but DL agent issued the ticket anyway. You need to call DL and tell them KE shows you are only waitlisted, not confirmed on flight. There's also possibilities that agent incorrecrly tried tp use codeshare to try and force reservation. Regardless, currently you have no seat on the flight.
Thanks
Just called delta. They said a ticket has been issued and I am confirmed on the flights. She said I likely just need to give it more time to select seats.

Should I call Korean Air?
travelrrr1 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta,Ga, USA
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 402
This happens when agents just sell a flight in the pnr without confirming that the OAL space is actually available. If this is during a blackout date, they will never be confirmed. Korean Air always has alot of black out dates.

You can keep waiting, but if it black out date for KE....then you are just wasting your time.

I would suggest you contact Delta again and ask for Global Ticketing Support. This department will be happy to go over the correct information and hope fix the agent error, but Delta does not have the ability to over-ride KE.

Black out dates from/to US-Korea left in 2022 are:
Oct. 7 – Oct. 9
Dec. 8 – Dec. 21

Black out dates from/to US-Korea in 2023 are:
May 12 – May 14

May 18 – July 1
Aug. 4 – Aug. 13
Dec. 7 – Dec. 10
Dec. 14 – Dec. 23

Black out dates from/to Korea/SE Asia left for 2022 are:
Dec. 29 – Dec. 31

and for 2023 are:
Jan. 2 – Jan. 15

Jan. 21 – Jan. 24
July 15 – Aug. 5
Aug. 19 – Sept. 3
Sept. 27 – Oct. 9


Jwhuffman

Last edited by jwhuffman; Sep 1, 2022 at 1:53 pm
jwhuffman is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:52 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by jwhuffman
This happens when agents just sell a flight in the pnr without confirming that the OAL space is actually available. If this is during a blackout date, they will never be confirmed. Korean Air always has alot of black out dates.

You can keep waiting, but if it black out date for KE....then you are just wasting your time.

I would suggest you contact Delta again and ask for Global Ticketing Support. This department will be happy to go over the correct information and hope fix the agent error, but Delta does not have the ability to over-ride KE.

Black out dates from/to US-Korea left in 2022 are:
Oct. 7 Oct. 9
Dec. 8 Dec. 21

Black out dates from/to US-Korea in 2023 are:
May 12 May 14

May 18 July 1
Aug. 4 Aug. 13
Dec. 7 Dec. 10
Dec. 14 Dec. 23


Jwhuffman
Yeah my flights are december 31st jfk to ICN. Then January 1st ICN to PNH. So, I didn't think it should be blacked out
travelrrr1 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:55 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by jwhuffman
This happens when agents just sell a flight in the pnr without confirming that the OAL space is actually available. If this is during a blackout date, they will never be confirmed. Korean Air always has alot of black out dates.

You can keep waiting, but if it black out date for KE....then you are just wasting your time.

I would suggest you contact Delta again and ask for Global Ticketing Support. This department will be happy to go over the correct information and hope fix the agent error, but Delta does not have the ability to over-ride KE.

Black out dates from/to US-Korea left in 2022 are:
Oct. 7 Oct. 9
Dec. 8 Dec. 21

Black out dates from/to US-Korea in 2023 are:
May 12 May 14

May 18 July 1
Aug. 4 Aug. 13
Dec. 7 Dec. 10
Dec. 14 Dec. 23

Black out dates from/to Korea/SE Asia left for 2022 are:
Dec. 29 Dec. 31

and for 2023 are:
Jan. 2 Jan. 15

Jan. 21 Jan. 24
July 15 Aug. 5
Aug. 19 Sept. 3
Sept. 27 Oct. 9


Jwhuffman
Yeah my flights are December 31st 2022 JFK to ICN. And January 1st ICN to PNH. So I don't think it should be blacked out
travelrrr1 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:02 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 12,449
Originally Posted by travelrrr1
.......Should I call Korean Air?
KE will tell you that you are waitlisted.

jwhuffman provided a very good detailed explanation. Your waitlist will never clear if you are in the blackout period. The first DL agent made a mistake by forcing the ticket through. He/she should have waited for confirmation by KE. You need to call DL, not KE, to sort this out. You may have to change to a different date if you are in the blackout period.
TerryK is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:30 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,637
Should also note, even though agent screwed up, since a ticket was issued, DL is on hook to rebook passenger.

Even if was a cash ticket, an airline is not supposed to issue a ticket till OAL confirms space. (Or 24-72 hours have passed - depends on agreement with the OAL the number of hours)

UA is good about making sure passengers knows of this possible issue. They include a statement on email that OAL has up to 72 hours to confirm seat on the OAL flight.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:11 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 26,476
Originally Posted by travelrrr1
Yeah my flights are December 31st 2022 JFK to ICN. And January 1st ICN to PNH. So I don't think it should be blacked out
Welcome to Flyertalk travelrrr1
obscure2k is online now  
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:36 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 1
Curious how this turns out for you as Im in identical position
Murrthenoble is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 3
Same! Booked For Dec 26-27 so shouldn't be in the blackout dates. Confirmed on Delta. Tried to book the fare for 4 days in a row, agents could never see it but I could see it on the app. Had ExpertFlyer notification set up for O space, got the notification 2 spots were available, called Delta, booked the ticket. Nothing on seat assignments - just waitlisted. It's only been 24 hours.
Big Green is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by travelrrr1
Yeah my flights are December 31st 2022 JFK to ICN. And January 1st ICN to PNH. So I don't think it should be blacked out
Did this ever get put through?
Big Green is offline  
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:02 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New York City
Posts: 130
I've been seeing somewhat of the same thing, as I'm trying to book a one-way award ticket from JFK-ICN via Delta on KE in mid-December.
The award calendar is showing a ton of 50K mile for economy seats & 120K mile flights for D1 seats. I can get through the entire booking process for the flight, however, after confirming the order it shows sold out and an error.


We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights.#100503A
See here: https://i.imgur.com/ClKLv4Q.png and https://i.imgur.com/dtPUTz4.png

I'm interested to know if this is the same as what is being discussed above, and if this issue is being caused by blackout dates.

It does look odd that there's a ton of availability all of a sudden on Delta for KE metal.

Last edited by risenmyth; Sep 7, 2022 at 11:19 am
risenmyth is online now  
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:07 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 3
Talked to *several* agents before finding the best one we've ever dealt with. The agents were all over the board, from those without much knowledge / experience, to one that was combative and kept interrupting me to tell me the answer to what wasn't my question. Last one was a godsend. Over an hour later with the last agent, we are booked on a different routing on Delta metal. There's something going on very strange with Delta and Korean right now in their systems, and Korean isn't opening up any space.

The saving grace in our situation, aside from the stellar agent who did what every other agent said was impossible, was that Delta actually confirmed our original itinerary through KE whereas other itineraries weren't showing fully confirmed (according to the agent.)

Moral of the story - hang up and call again, if you think your situation is valid enough.
Big Green is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.