Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any pictures of the old ATL B-C connector?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the old ATL B-C connector?

The original walkway tunnel was used by Eastern when they had their ATL hub. It was inherited by Delta when Eastern left. Then was sealed off in the 00s and converted for baggage handling operations.

I remember using it a few times when I was younger but I cannot find any pictures of it. A recent layover in ATL reminded me of it, would have been perfect for my connection. There are a few maps from the 80s-90s that included it but no pictures of it in use. If anyone has them I'd be interested in checking them out.

If this post is inappropriate, please let me know/remove.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
No Pics, but memories. Recently I was trying to remember what gates the entrance were at, I sure one of your maps has that info
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Found some old threads, but unfortunately no pix...

Connector from B to C at ATL (2009)

and from that thread a reference to this one, starting at post 28: Delta leaving D concourse (2002)
jfadool likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I remember it as well. I think it had a moving walkway but otherwise pretty plain. A shame it was closed.
jfadool likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
No Pics, but memories. Recently I was trying to remember what gates the entrance were at, I sure one of your maps has that info
It connected to B27/29ish(there's now a newsstand) and then C40ish(Delta help desk). On the exterior of the building there's still evidence where the escalators attached and the elevators appear to still be in service, though obviously not useable by us regular people.

On my trip I arrived at B31 and was departing from C38, would have been perfect for my connection, but obviously not a huge deal to walk down to the center.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:09 pm

To a point I understand why it all was done this the way it was but man. If i could redesign the ATL airport two big things I would do....

SkyClubs. One center large club in the middle and a club on each end of the concourse that are slightly smaller. Think DTW A.
tunnels. In addition to the main tunnel with the plane train, smaller tunnels at each end that just have moving walk ways.

I think both would help with some of ATL's biggest issues (SkyClub capacity and plane train capacity.) Plus make some connection options much shorter thus making the hub run more smoothly.

Other thing I would love to fix but I'm not sure how to realistically do so, bigger gate areas and more room to walk. Only thing I could think of is go the old shopping mall method. Put all the restaurants and shops on a second floor but I don't know if that would really be feasible.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
To a point I understand why it all was done this the way it was but man. If i could redesign the ATL airport two big things I would do....

SkyClubs. One center large club in the middle and a club on each end of the concourse that are slightly smaller. Think DTW A.
tunnels. In addition to the main tunnel with the plane train, smaller tunnels at each end that just have moving walk ways.

I think both would help with some of ATL's biggest issues (SkyClub capacity and plane train capacity.) Plus make some connection options much shorter thus making the hub run more smoothly.

Other thing I would love to fix but I'm not sure how to realistically do so, bigger gate areas and more room to walk. Only thing I could think of is go the old shopping mall method. Put all the restaurants and shops on a second floor but I don't know if that would really be feasible.
The clubs at the ends of B need to return, but unfortunately I think both were given over to vendors.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Problem is DTW is at least twice the length of ATL concourses. Not realistic for ATL to have one center plus one at each end.

Tunnels are not cheap to put in. Even more so as there's buildings in place, plus must support weight of planes.

As for more area, concourse D is being expanded.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Problem is DTW is at least twice the length of ATL concourses. Not realistic for ATL to have one center plus one at each end.

Tunnels are not cheap to put in. Even more so as there's buildings in place, plus must support weight of planes.

As for more area, concourse D is being expanded.
re the Sky Clubs, yes DTW is longer but you just adjust the square footage. On B for sure and arguably A, Delta could easily double the SC space and still have all the space fairly full. T is starting to need more space as well cause people keep talking about the T club and people are figuring out it is a thing.

for the tunnels I mean i wish they were thought about when the airport was built. Its obviously not feasible now but even then I do understand the cost issue you point out.

D is being expanded yes, but T/A/B and arguably C as Delta puts more mainline on it could all use extra space. At times it is a bit of a chore to walk from gate to gate and remember to doge golf carts.
but if you can doge a golf cart, you can doge a ball so its good practice.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
The clubs at the ends of B need to return, but unfortunately I think both were given over to vendors.
How about mini-clubs at the former smoking rooms?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:14 pm

ATL was designed and built primarily in the late 70s, seemingly before moving walkways were commonplace. IMO, lack of them is the biggest problem with the airport - causing long slogs such as from A1 to B35. Tunnels don't help except in highly specific situations.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
I know the B24 one is now a pet relief area.

Even then, they aren't big spaces. Maybe 500 square feet at the most. By the time you put in a check in desk, you'd maybe be able to get 20 people in there.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
They could shift more traffic to E and F, which can seem pretty quiet when the international long haul flight clusters aren’t going out, and that might help a little.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
none of them were that big.

Delta could fix the club space issue if they wanted to. They have already shown themselves the way on B. Just build something up and over the current concourses.

Originally Posted by pfreet
ATL was designed and built primarily in the late 70s, seemingly before moving walkways were commonplace. IMO, lack of them is the biggest problem with the airport - causing long slogs such as from A1 to B35. Tunnels don't help except in highly specific situations.
I completely disagree.

You have a pretty darn good chance of having a B south to A south or T south connection or a B north to A north or C north connection I would much rather have a much straighter shot than having to take the train.

but as I said, I'd love to find a away to clear out the crowding on the concourse. My hope would be to be able to add in moving walkways.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I remember it as well. I think it had a moving walkway but otherwise pretty plain. A shame it was closed.
Yes, I do! I remember B-C connector tunnel. It's very short walk. That was so long time ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.