Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why are Delta Flights So Expensive Now?

Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I fly from the US and outside and back vice versa many times. I usually fly with Delta the most because of the lowest fares and good schedule. I sometimes fly with Jetblue and other times American Airlines. I pretty much almost always buy the basic economy and cheapest seat etc. Almost all the flights I taken are direct flights and cost from $125-$200 or so. I don't remember once paying more than $250 one way I don't believe.

I take a look at Delta site and these direct flights back to the US cost almost $600. Jetblue seem to cost around $470 or so. American seem to be similar or a bit cheaper.

Is there a reason these prices are this high? I been checking flight prices the last few weeks and its always this high. I don't recall summer prices this high?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Because we're willing to pay it? You know, for the MQMs...

They know us better than we know ourselves.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: DL PM
Demand is high, inventory isnt which leaves us in a situation where airlines can charge practically whatever they want because most of their planes are still going out full.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: co AA ua
Delta has a better product. It is reliable. So they charge a premium. It is one of the better US airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ehartal
Delta has a better product. It is reliable. So they charge a premium. It is one of the better US airlines.

Better how? "one of the better" doesn't justify prices higher than the other "better" airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Many reasons.
Fuel prices. (flight crew labor). Parts (cost + shortages). TechOps labor. Additional cost to sanitize. Rent/airport fees.
And... because flights were "cheap" the last few years, so they're making up for it.
Mhyduchak likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Airlines have jacked rates up significantly pretty much across the board...
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Bahaha....are you serious? That is 2019 marketing/truth. Today, as with most airlines, its a janky mall parking lot carnival ride. IF its operational.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Delta has cut a lot of flights, supply and demand.
FabCW likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lindros2
Many reasons.
Fuel prices. (flight crew labor). Parts (cost + shortages). TechOps labor. Additional cost to sanitize. Rent/airport fees.
Actually, those things have very little to do with it. What has almost everything to do with it is the willingness of the public to pay. Delta (and others) had most of those fixed costs two years ago and couldn't give away a ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Gold
https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-be...airlines-2022/

Delta is ranked first, make of it what you will.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by seageg91
https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-be...airlines-2022/

Delta is ranked first, make of it what you will.
Yeah TPG is impartial:
"This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page."
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lindros2
Yeah TPG is impartial:
"This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page."
Are you disputing any of the facts listed in that rather comprehensive article?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Thanks for the chuckle. I am no longer DL captive and book for leisure only now.
I have flown Jet Blue, Southwest, United and AA in the past 9 months.
Delta is no better than any other airline imo.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Simple economics.
Supply & Demand meet at a certain price.
FabCW likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.