Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confused about Platinum Medallion International Upgrades (or lack thereof?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about Platinum Medallion International Upgrades (or lack thereof?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available in the Americas region (which includes South America). Further, they require at least a coach K fare or higher (or C+ with underlying K fare or higher if you purchase a C+ fare -- comp upgrades to C+ don't count).

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rades-and-more

What regions are eligible:
  • For all markets, with the exception of Delta-operated flights in North America and South America, Mileage Upgrade Awards on Delta-marketed and operated flights may be used to upgrade on the following paid fare classes: Y, B, M, H, Q, or K.
You can also do mileage upgrade awards from paid PS to D1 TATL/TPAC, for any PS fare class (G A P IIRC). The downside is that you won't get them as airport/gate/day-of-departure upgrades, like you can and do when using GUCs.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:25 pm

Question

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
To set your expectations, about 6 months ago I got an upgrade offer of about 50k miles or $500ish for just the EZE-ATL segment (10 hour flight) to the lieflat, up from my booked economy seat.

So if you get an offer of around that much you can take it
I'm curious--where do these offers show up? I don't see an obvious place in my app where an offer would appear? Or do you click into the seat map on the booked flight and click the higher class seats to see the cost? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by califlyer8
I'm curious--where do these offers show up? I don't see an obvious place in my app where an offer would appear? Or do you click into the seat map on the booked flight and click the higher class seats to see the cost? Thanks!
If they don't show up on your itin, they will often show an offer when you open seat map and try selecting a seat. However, there's no guarantee they will offer them on every flight (sometimes they don't have offers). There's also no guarantee the pricing will be less than just paying the fare difference to upfare from your current fare (they can be more, less or roughly equal). The seat upgrade offers allow you to upgrade individual flights segments, however they are non-transferable/non-refundable (you'll have to request an agent waive restrictions to get refund). With an upfare, you retain the value you paid should you make a change. With an upfare, you must upgrade all segments on a fare in a one-way direction (you can't upgrade individual segments on same fare component).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....and with an upfare, you're more likely to get the higher cabin MQMs etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.