Wiki Posts
Search

Extra greeters at SkyClubs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Extra greeters at SkyClubs?

Both SEA and SLC today there were Delta employees standing way past the entrance saying an extra hello to everyone walking by. Anyone else notice this? It was 2 people at SLC, 1 at SEA.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This seems odd given DL's staffing shortages. Could their duties be to manage the line when there is a line for entry, including expediting the new skip the line privileges for 360/DM/D1 passengers?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:48 am

SEA is my home airport and every time I've been to the Sky Club I've always scanned my BP with someone near the entrance using a handheld device, not at the desk. However, I don't think I've ever seen all 3 spots at the desks staffed while I did that so I'm guessing one of the desk agents leaves the desk and goes to the entrance instead. I've also never seen a line to get into the SEA SkyClub so I doubt it'd be to assist with that.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I noticed that at ATL last week too.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Managing entry so you can't sneak in / around...
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP says that the greeters were located way past the entrance and just saying hello to people.There's no mention os scanners.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Flying out of DCA Thursday this week there was a greeter just inside the blue glass doors greeting people and thanking people as they departed. Checkin for the DCA club is outside of the club.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
So it sounds like this is a thing. An extra hello or goodbye is always welcome but perhaps there are more important staffing needs in the Delta airport system?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was some extra greeters outside the LAX big new T3 club also.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
So it sounds like this is a thing. An extra hello or goodbye is always welcome but perhaps there are more important staffing needs in the Delta airport system?
Maybe because their credit card customers and frequent flyers are patrons of the sky club and they're trying to make them happy in an unhappy time with all the schedule changes, cancellations and lost baggage, etc. Just a guess, I have no clue.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:15 am

Could these be salaried employee volunteers? DL did something like this before to make customers a bit less unhappy. IIRC those volunteers were standing around the check in lines at major airports during especially busy times, trying to direct traffic and make sure that everyone was in the right line. They obviously weren't trained to perform check in or gate agent functions.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could these be salaried employee volunteers? DL did something like this before to make customers a bit less unhappy. IIRC those volunteers were standing around the check in lines at major airports during especially busy times, trying to direct traffic and make sure that everyone was in the right line. They obviously weren't trained to perform check in or gate agent functions.
Or they could be in an "intern" type position that requires so many hours/months of contact with customers before being placed in temporary or permanent positions. I'm sure somebody on here will ask them next time😁
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
They were probably originally hired as DJs.
Dawgfan6291 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
They were probably originally hired as DJs.
Probably😁
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
So if we get them kicked out does that open up an extra space in the lounge? 😁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.