Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta + Aegean - should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Delta + Aegean - should I worry?

I used to fly Delta a LOT (Diamond for several years, million miler). But due to changing my location and Delta changing schedules I have not flown Delta for years. Now I am looking to fly to the US and have found a flight on ITA matrix that works for me: LCA-ATH-JFK and return with the LCA-ATH/ ATH-LCA legs on Aegean. Can't buy the ticket through Delta or Aegean so will have to go to an OTA. My question is could I get into a "not my problem situation" with Aegean or Delta if any flights are delayed and I miss my connection? I will be flying business class and the layover in Athens is 3 hours. I have checked and it appears that DL has an interline agreement with Aegean.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by STBCypriot; Aug 9, 2022 at 7:07 am
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:48 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If everything is booked on the same ticket, the carrier that creates a delay is responsible for getting you to your final destination. I would expect you'll be fine, but expect Aegean to be the one responsible for getting you to New York (and they may put you on LH or another carrier).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Consider how you buy the ticket, although to most Mediterranean islands, there's no SkyTeam (or VS) option. Try to pay with a USA based credit (not debit) card, preferably AmEx. Consider your OLTA carefully and don't use a marginally scammy one; read their rules about refund fees, etc. carefully. You might want to consider using a good real live human TA to put the segments together on a ticket.

BTW, have you *called* DL to ask if they can't ticket these specific flights? Phone agents can do more than the website. You might have to HUCA a few times (during weekday business hours) to get a good experienced agent.
STBCypriot and RobertS975 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I used to fly Delta a LOT (Diamond for several years, million miler). But due to changing my location and Delta changing schedules I have not flown Delta for years. Now I am looking to fly to the US and have found a flight on ITA matrix that works for me: LCA-ATH-JFK and return with the LCA-ATH/ ATH-LCA legs on Aegean. Can't buy the ticket through Delta or Aegean so will have to go to an OTA. My question is could I get into a "not my problem situation" with Aegean or Delta if any flights are delayed and I miss my connection? I will be flying business class and the layover in Athens is 3 hours. I have checked and it appears that DL has an interline agreement with Aegean.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
One note is that if this trip is not in the immediate future, there could be schedule changes between now and then. This is key because if there is an advance schedule change, you will have to work through the OTA you used to book the ticket. In this case, Aegean and Delta will likely tell you "not my problem" or rather "I can't help you since this isn't our ticket" and tell you to go sort it out through the OTA you booked with. If you experience day-of IROPS, you can work with the airline at the airport since the ticket will then be under their control.
STBCypriot and trooper like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Consider how you buy the ticket, although to most Mediterranean islands, there's no SkyTeam (or VS) option. Try to pay with a USA based credit (not debit) card, preferably AmEx. Consider your OLTA carefully and don't use a marginally scammy one; read their rules about refund fees, etc. carefully. You might want to consider using a good real live human TA to put the segments together on a ticket.

BTW, have you *called* DL to ask if they can't ticket these specific flights? Phone agents can do more than the website. You might have to HUCA a few times (during weekday business hours) to get a good experienced agent.
How to find a good live human TA?

Who do you need to ask for at delta to get this resolved? Like a global support desk?

Last edited by obscure2k; Aug 9, 2022 at 11:58 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by smartytravel
How to find a good live human TA?

Who do you need to ask for at delta to get this resolved? Like a global support desk?
A Frontline agent should be able to do this. If they say no, ask for international orticketing support.

Note if AF/KL/OK(Czech)/RO (Tarom) serve the airport (they are all Skyteam) they may refuse to offer a ticket with a non-partnwr (by this, i mean DL agent sold, a TA can of course do it). Tarom would be the most likely if AF/KL don't. They're a good airline, they still offer real business class seats on the 737, not "Euro Business" style. I've flown them a couple times to/from Greece to/from AMS when KL doesn't fly to airport I want to head to.

Note also DL and SkyExpress codeshare/are partners. Thus if SkyExpress offers service, DL will go with them, before offering ticket with Aegean flight.

DL/SKYEXPRESS Partner up.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Have you tried booking via KLM? I just found this itinerary on Google Flights, and to book it, it led me to KLM.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not seem the DL / GQ (SKY Express) agreement includes getting SkyMiles, right? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Not sure if this trip is in Biz or not, but I wouldn't trust Aegean on the empty middle seat promise one bit. I found their customer service more like Ryan Air than Delta.
Old May 3, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Not sure if this trip is in Biz or not, but I wouldn't trust Aegean on the empty middle seat promise one bit. I found their customer service more like Ryan Air than Delta.
Strange. I had an excellent experience in their intra-Europe J. Blocked middle seat, exceptional food and great service. Really punching above their weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.