Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First list leapfrogged

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
I was once irrops from another airline at ORD in a paid F ticket. I was initially given an economy ticket but between my phone calls and having DL status, I was placed in first.

As the rest of the plane boarded, an obnoxious woman pointed at me and told her companion that I was the one who “stole” her seat.
well how were you "placed" in F? Did the other airline buy an F seat (it sounds like they didn't). What did "having DL status" do for you here? Did they put you onto the upgrade list normally or did they just seat you directly into F?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Absolutely not. This was wrong. Please complain to DL.

BTW, this commonly happens on AA and seems not to violate their policy. Was this an airport where the GA would be a contract worker rather than a DL employee?
This happened in Atlanta :-(
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ohmark
Maybe obnoxious, but accurate.
I didn’t steal anything. It was my righteous seat.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
well how were you "placed" in F? Did the other airline buy an F seat (it sounds like they didn't). What did "having DL status" do for you here? Did they put you onto the upgrade list normally or did they just seat you directly into F?
Im not sure what happened first. I was on the phone with the other airline to get the class of service I had originally purchased… while they were working on it, I got to the front of the line at the gate and I had my DL number added to the ticket. This was happening about the same time the GA was also clearing upgrades. I suspect the other airline paid for F, but the timing was so perfect that it could have also been based on status. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Point is, I didn’t steal anything from someone else… don’t assume malevolence.
wrp96 and defrosted like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
This leapfrog happened near the end of boarding-last few minutes.
A case of "you board, you lose" perhaps?
shoodawg and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
Im not sure what happened first.

Point is, I didn’t steal anything from someone else… don’t assume malevolence.
Nobody is assigning malevolence to you but you can't really say everything went by the book here when you admittedly aren't even sure what happened.
shoodawg likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

So Delta made good and it appears they are looking into the particulars. It’s in no one’s best interest to promote Shena.
Zorak and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
IRROPS, I've leapfrogged twice.

1) Missed my flight and they put me on the next one leaving shortly anyway. Was a paid FC but only had Main. Someone didn't show so they moved me up.

2) Canceled flight, put me on a new one later that was standby only and I wanted to get home so stayed. Was Paid FC and they moved me up and still refunded me which was nice.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Happened to me once SFO-ATL. I asked the GA and he explained that the person behind me on the list ponied up the $$ to sit in F. Sometimes it happens - not always Shena.
emma dog likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
So Delta made good and it appears they are looking into the particulars. It’s in no one’s best interest to promote Shena.

How did they "make good"?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Please let us know the outcome. With the recent travel chaos, to me it seems highly likely this seat went to a displaced passenger from another flight.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Happened to me once SFO-ATL. I asked the GA and he explained that the person behind me on the list ponied up the $$ to sit in F. Sometimes it happens - not always Shena.
Did their name appear on the standby list with a status of MAIN CABIN but with an F seat assignment as in OP's screenshot?

(I do agree that, in the abstract, Shena probably doesn't strike nearly as often as people think it does)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Did their name appear on the standby list with a status of MAIN CABIN but with an F seat assignment as in OP's screenshot?

(I do agree that, in the abstract, Shena probably doesn't strike nearly as often as people think it does)
I was the jump-er one time in Denver. I called in while driving to the airport, right at the "3 hour cutoff" and asked to apply an RUC to improve my chances at the gate. The agent messed something up and I realized when I got to the airport that I had lost my seat assignment *and* was not on the upgrade list anymore, either.

I went up to the gate agent about 30 minutes before boarding and made my case, and she called someone on the phone and worked on it for several minutes. When she finished I had a seat up front and was never on the upgrade list in the last 2 hours before departure, and I am pretty sure that they didn't pull a cert that time.

Another time I was flying home from Columbia, SC back when I was still just Gold Medallion. When I tried to check my bag at CAE, they told me that they were oversold and really, really wanted my seat. Rather than offering me money (it was vouchers back then anyway), they put me in a taxi and drove me to CLT, and then put me in FC from there to DTW and from DTW to PDX "for my inconvenience". As we were landing at Detroit I was telling my seat mate about my good fortune & he told me that he and his business partner were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list and couldn't figure out why only one of them had cleared into the two available seats. He didn't seem to be as amused by the coincidence as I was....

And I got to PDX more than an hour earlier than I would have if I had stayed on the original flight.

Sometimes stuff happens that is uncommon. That doesn't make it shenanigans.
emma dog likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318
Please let us know the outcome. With the recent travel chaos, to me it seems highly likely this seat went to a displaced passenger from another flight.
delta did not share their findings - an executive was engaged in the investigation - but did make me feel better.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
How did they "make good"?
appropriate and fair consideration, pared with an internal investigation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.