Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Red-Eye CXLD tonight - can't rebook until tomorrow's flights?

Old Aug 5, 22, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Radisson Gold

I just got a notice from DL that my LAX-JFK flight tonight has been canceled and they've automatically rebooked me for tomorrow morning. However, I'm actually connecting to the NE and this gets me in too late. I looked online and they have BOS flights tonight that are still available but their automatic rebooking system doesn't allow me to choose a flight departing tonight. Is there a way around this?

I'm on "chat" hold for an agent as well as the interminable telephone hold.

Not a regular DL flyer, so hoping someone might have some suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:41 pm

Call the urgent DL IROPS number (855) 548-2505. They pick up pretty quickly.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't try to do this by chat: it's outsourced and folks here have been complaining about the agents.

Normally with a cancellation, DL permits you to rebook plus or minus one day, although the automatic system tends to put you onto the next available flight. Try to search for flights yourself first before calling DL so that you can ask for the flight numbers (be sure to be clear about times and dates) you want.

Assuming that this is on one ticket/PNR, rebooking to a BOS nonstop should be allowed, assuming that your "NE" destination is within about 300 miles of BOS, although you'll be responsible to arrange and pay for your own ground transportation. (I'm guessing that there's no connecting flight from BOS to the NE destination; if there is, certainly you should be allowed to rebook to another legal routing.)

If you paid for D1 on LAX-JFK, you might be able to get a refund.

BTW, is there a decent routing through LGA instead of JFK, although this is likely to require two rather than one connection due to the perimeter rule.
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Radisson Gold
Thanks for the advice. Got tired of waiting for DL to come on the line and was able to get on the AA nonstop to BOS tonight. Amazingly, the fare was basically the same. When the DL agent finally came online, just had the cancel and refund the flight.

Heading to PWM, so booked an Amtrak train ride for tomorrow morning. No cars available at BOS for pickup and likely don't want to drive 2hours after a red-eye without much sleep. Still arrive Portland around the same time.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did you clock on the search tab in rebooking tool? The "suggested " options will always show same day as are currently booked. (Which was next day) You have to clock search and change date. (You could've also changed airport)
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Did you clock on the search tab in rebooking tool? The "suggested " options will always show same day as are currently booked. (Which was next day) You have to clock search and change date. (You could've also changed airport)
There was a drop-down in the rebooking tool but it started with flights departing on August 6th and later (several days later). It did allow a search for changes to origin and destination airports and dates. The only thing I couldn't do was choose today's date. I know there are flights available because I can still go online and book LAX-BOS flights departing tonight.
Old Aug 5, 22, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
There was a drop-down in the rebooking tool but it started with flights departing on August 6th and later (several days later). It did allow a search for changes to origin and destination airports and dates. The only thing I couldn't do was choose today's date. I know there are flights available because I can still go online and book LAX-BOS flights departing tonight.
Yeah, there's a glitch issue. Once you're rebooked to another day, the tool incorrectly assumes TODAY is the new departure day. It doesn't equate TODAY, to the actual date it is.

Search this Thread