Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How long do you have to make free change when Delta makes a schedule change?

How long do you have to make free change when Delta makes a schedule change?

Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
What's the rule again? +/- 1 hour allows you to change UP TO +/- 1 day?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
How does all this change with award tickets (it's been a while)? Currently on a VS flight in UC and the second leg got canx'd (of course it's the only day without a scheduled flight now that week). If I want to stay on VS, does it just depend on whether there's award space, even though they changed the schedule (also weird there's just one random day w/o a flight...perhaps it could get added back)? Are they able to force me onto DL metal (they do fly there direct) because of the schedule change? I'd rather stick with our VS/LHR itinerary, but the DL metal seems simpler at this point.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmarge18
How does all this change with award tickets (it's been a while)? Currently on a VS flight in UC and the second leg got canx'd (of course it's the only day without a scheduled flight now that week). If I want to stay on VS, does it just depend on whether there's award space, even though they changed the schedule (also weird there's just one random day w/o a flight...perhaps it could get added back)? Are they able to force me onto DL metal (they do fly there direct) because of the schedule change? I'd rather stick with our VS/LHR itinerary, but the DL metal seems simpler at this point.
They can force DL metal. Partner metal requires award space be made available. The JV desk can liaise with VS/AF/KL if no award space available. However if there's DL metal that is easiest solution.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by photojojo
What's the rule again? +/- 1 hour allows you to change UP TO +/- 1 day?
Yes, although they will frequently do it for less. Ive had 15 minute changes and gotten free rebooking. (ATH-CDG-ATL-GRU to ATH-ATL-GRU simply cause ATH left 15 minutes earlier)

Also drop below MCT, change in operating carrier (including regional carrier change, change in # of segments, etc..
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, although they will frequently do it for less. Ive had 15 minute changes and gotten free rebooking. (ATH-CDG-ATL-GRU to ATH-ATL-GRU simply cause ATH left 15 minutes earlier)

Also drop below MCT, change in operating carrier (including regional carrier change, change in # of segments, etc..
I've been waiting for four months for my flight to ZRH to get changed so that I can move the departure date up one day and amazingly I haven't had that or any of my 7 trips changed.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that you purchased the award ticket with DL miles? If so, rebooking goes through DL and you can request that DL contact VS through the partner desk to ask that award space be opened for you on the VS flight you want (do the research before calling DL). Fallback is that DL opens award space on its flights for you.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume that you purchased the award ticket with DL miles? If so, rebooking goes through DL and you can request that DL contact VS through the partner desk to ask that award space be opened for you on the VS flight you want (do the research before calling DL). Fallback is that DL opens award space on its flights for you.
You assume correctly. I had a fantastic agent last night (earned a JWD cert) who not only let me take my pick of flights on either VS or DL, let me change my departure airport (we'd chosen a good award rate out of AUS, but would have had to position there; can just go from ATL now). YMMV with agents I guess, but I was prepared to just take the DL flight if needed; now we can still spend some time with friends on our long layover (and enjoy the Clubhouse).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:08 pm

You assume correctly. I had a fantastic agent last night (earned a JWD cert) who not only let me take my pick of flights on either VS or DL, let me change my departure airport (we'd chosen a good award rate out of AUS, but would have had to position there; can just go from ATL now). YMMV with agents I guess, but I was prepared to just take the DL flight if needed; now we can still spend some time with friends on our long layover (and enjoy the Clubhouse).
How did you phrase the departure airport change? I may need to do this in the future and want to be prepared.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UnevenGray
How did you phrase the departure airport change? I may need to do this in the future and want to be prepared.
Just simply ask. The weirder/more wordier you make request, the more chance they say no. Just simply state "I know you can change departure (or destination) airport due to schedule change, can we see about flights to/from XYC instead?"

It does need to be reasonable. Ie same state/region (I've been told both 300 and 500 mile radius multiple times) It can even be to airport in another country

The quoted change from AUS to ATL, IME is more to do with it being a hub airport switching to. Generally I wouldn't expect that big of a change.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by UnevenGray
I agree with flyerCO 's response. Be reasonable. I did my research and had a couple options that would make the most sense, but mostly just said "if it's possible, it'd make it a lot easier of a travel day" or something like that. I was prepared to have to keep the airport the same, but it worked out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.