Old Aug 4, 22, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

What are Deltas prestige routes?

The ones I imagine are high up there:

- Delta Shuttle routes
- JFK- LAX
- JFK- LHR
- ATL- CDG

What routes would you put as high profile / prestige routes?
Old Aug 4, 22, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
ATL-JAN

Capitol to Capitol route.
Old Aug 4, 22, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyingdelta View Post

- Delta Shuttle routes
- JFK- LAX
- JFK- LHR
- ATL- CDG

uh.

I guess im going to go with the one that makes the most money because its not 1945 anymore?
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingdelta View Post

- Delta Shuttle routes
- JFK- LAX
- JFK- LHR
- ATL- CDG

What is your definition of prestige / high profile?

ATL - CDG is neither a prestige route nor a high profile route. DL Shuttle routes definitely aren't prestige/high profile routes IMO.

For the most part the US3 doesn't do prestige/high profile routes because most prestige/high profile routes lose money.

To me a prestige route is someone like CX running HKG - IAD (pre-COVID) or airlines who run flights to JFK or LHR because they perceive those as being important cities to be connected to even if the traffic isn't particularly high.

The US3 has pretty strong load discipline so they only fly prestige/high profile routes that also make money. The obvious ones for DL would be LAX - SYD or JFK - LHR. I'm not sure they run any others that qualify these days. Flights like JFK - NRT would have qualified IMO but no longer exits
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
JFK-LHR and LAX-SYD would be obvious choices for me. However, since most DL hubs aren't prestigious (like ORD, LAX, JFK, maybe BOS and LAX), the number of prestigious segments or city pairs is limited. For PMNW, MSP/DTW-NRT would have been relatively prestigious, as would the HKG nonstops, plus MSP/DTW-AMSa d BOS-CDG when it operated. I want to add some nonstop to South Korea to the list, maybe ATL-ICN, since routes to big Asian business cities tend to be prestigious, however it's defined.

Among domestic flights, surely JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO (all nonstops with D1 service) would be prestigious.

With the postCOVID-19 shift to leisure travel, I'm tempted to add ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL or generally any D1 route to Hawaii.

Add the old PanAm JFK-NCE nonstop to the list, even though it's seasonal.
Old Aug 4, 22, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any routed operated by KE as a DL codeshare?
Old Aug 4, 22, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA
DL flights 1-4 are all between JFK and LHR. None of the other numbers from 5-9 appear to be in active use. For comparison, UA 1/2 are SFO/SIN, UA 3 is ORD-ZRH, UA 4/5 are IAH/LHR, UA 6/7are IAH/NRT, and UA 8/9 are unused. AA 1-4 are JFK/LAX, AA 5 is DFW-HNL, AA 6/7 are DFW/OGG, and AA 8/9 are unused.
ryw, aquanine and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Certainly a few prestigious routes in the past. DL used to run DAB-MCO on the E120. I never got to experience it but I heard it was a favorite among the Hollywood elite and tycoons of industry. Many connected onwards to the swanky MCO-FLL-MIA tag on.
spongenotbob and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 11:53 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I donít understand the question. What is a prestige route, and why do you think an airline would fly such a route for strictly prestige sake?
CPMaverick, Adam1222 and navi_jen like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
I donít understand the question. What is a prestige route, and why do you think an airline would fly such a route for strictly prestige sake?
I think UA's EWR-CAE flight may have qualified. It only operated twice a week with embarrassingly low yields. And it was frequented by a Port Authority executive who resigned when an investigation was probed. I'm sure that kind of stuff goes on at every airline. UA just got caught.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
When the Captain comes back to proudly show off like this, it's a clear tell you're on a prestige route.

emma dog, volabam, BHammy and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Any route operated by AF as a DL codeshare that offers La Premiere (IFC)?

Do all of the KE codeshares with DL have IFC? I suspect not as I think many of the TAPC (DL or KE) connections to regional routes use regional aircraft or have IFC cabins but not IFC service (often the IFC seats are sold as business class and reserved for top tier KE elites)
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do all of the KE codeshares with DL have IFC? I suspect not as I think many of the TAPC (DL or KE) connections to regional routes use regional aircraft or have IFC cabins but not IFC service (often the IFC seats are sold as business class and reserved for top tier KE elites)
There was some discussion in the KE forum, it appears that KE is gradually phasing out IFC.
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
There was some discussion in the KE forum, it appears that KE is gradually phasing out IFC.
Yes, but the remaining KE routes with IFC would be prestigious (no pun intended), even if not profitable.
Old Aug 5, 22, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

That's a good one!!!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
JFK-LHR and LAX-SYD would be obvious choices for me. However, since most DL hubs aren't prestigious (like ORD, LAX, JFK, maybe BOS and LAX), the number of prestigious segments or city pairs is limited. For PMNW, MSP/DTW-NRT would have been relatively prestigious, as would the HKG nonstops, plus MSP/DTW-AMSa d BOS-CDG when it operated. I want to add some nonstop to South Korea to the list, maybe ATL-ICN, since routes to big Asian business cities tend to be prestigious, however it's defined.

Among domestic flights, surely JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO (all nonstops with D1 service) would be prestigious.

With the postCOVID-19 shift to leisure travel, I'm tempted to add ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL or generally any D1 route to Hawaii.

Add the old PanAm JFK-NCE nonstop to the list, even though it's seasonal.
​​​​​​​I agree with HKG, but too bad DL couldn't make it work. It also sucked that the DL HKG flight departed HKG in the morning. It would have worked for me if it departed in the evening.

Search this Thread