Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are Deltas prestige routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Around 2000, I flew CO EWR-LAX nonstop in FC. It was so much better than their MSP-IAH flights that I experienced several times during the same period. I think it must have been a 757 as it was 2-2 seating that looked new with maybe eight rows of domestic FC seats. The wines were French, including a Chablis for the white some specific Bordeaux appelation for the red. Dinner was an excellent rack of lamb carved at my seat, with potatoes and veggies also plated from the cart at my seat. There were several courses, but I remember that lamb, even though it did make the entire cabin smell like lamb (which is why I generally think that airlines should avoid lamb as an inflight meal choice, as much as I like it).

Clearly CO at the time considering this transcon route to be prestigious.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Ditto ... not one route for Delta meets the definition of prestige. Nothing wrong with that either as that goes for most all of the airline routes. Flying the Concord was prestigious. One could say flying the upper deck of 747 was prestigious regardless of the route.
I flew DTW-NRT on the UD of the 747 a few years ago on DL before they were retired. I was heading to the bathroom to get changed and asked the FA passing by if she would be willing to set up the bed while I was away. She said "We don't do that" and walked away. I don't think I would consider that to be prestigious!
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Around 2000, I flew CO EWR-LAX nonstop in FC. It was so much better than their MSP-IAH flights that I experienced several times during the same period. I think it must have been a 757 as it was 2-2 seating that looked new with maybe eight rows of domestic FC seats. The wines were French, including a Chablis for the white some specific Bordeaux appelation for the red. Dinner was an excellent rack of lamb carved at my seat, with potatoes and veggies also plated from the cart at my seat. There were several courses, but I remember that lamb, even though it did make the entire cabin smell like lamb (which is why I generally think that airlines should avoid lamb as an inflight meal choice, as much as I like it).

Clearly CO at the time considering this transcon route to be prestigious.
I love lamb, but I never had it inside an airplane.

Originally Posted by steveholt
I flew DTW-NRT on the UD of the 747 a few years ago on DL before they were retired. I was heading to the bathroom to get changed and asked the FA passing by if she would be willing to set up the bed while I was away. She said "We don't do that" and walked away. I don't think I would consider that to be prestigious!
​​​​​​​Is that even a normal request? I've never thought of doing that.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
ATL-MEX, the busiest international route out of ATL that doesn't have any other competition, connecting the 2 busiest skyteam hubs in North America. Considered prestige because nobody else owns it.

If it was truly free market capitalism there would be 3 to 5 airlines flying this route, carrying half a million passengers a year, but AM and Delta lobby relentlessly to ever prevent that from happening. Roundtrip flights are inching above $700 in Y and $1,300+ in J even though its only a 2.5 hour flight excluding taxi etc.

I been crossing my fingers that one day Southwest or Frontier would announce the route but its pretty clear its never going to happen.

Flying inbound to ATL you can do throwaway ticket to Nashville to Jacksonville on the way in will save you hundreds of dollars, and its one of the few throwaway routes you can check a bag (since you still have to collect your bag at immigration ), but on the way out of ATL theres no real hack really, just pay up, or fly with a layover.
The only limitation on starting ATL-MEX is slots at MEX. The current President of Mexico in order to further his white elephant, is now requiring new flights be to the new airport. An airport that lacks even paved highway connection to Mexico City!

Originally Posted by lsquare
Won't you eventually get in trouble with the airline?
Yes, eventually. Couple one offs though wont hurt.

LAX-PEK would have qualified before the flight was removed. Big press release when the flight was announced and given DL 8/9 flight numbers.

MSP-TYO might have qualified during the NW days.
PEK is definitely not a prestige route. PVG is where the prestige is at. PEK is more of need to serve to keep China happy route.

DL/NW have never had a bed setup. They have a pillow and blanket (plus previously a smaller pillow on 12+hr flights. I would guess FA was thinking you meant make a bed like on airlines that actually make a bed for you.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, I know. That's why I said "no pun intended."

JFK-LHR is very competitive, among longhaul routes with the most carriers serving it, especially is the UA EWR flights are included. By contrast, DL and partners almost own longhaul routes from ATL/MSP/DTW, not just to JFK, and in fact this eliminates competition from alternate routings with a connection, such as MSP-AMS-LHR to help keep fares lower even if they're far from being perfect substitutes for the nonstops.
Both your post are discussing flights with IFC, thus my post.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Is that even a normal request? I've never thought of doing that.
Not on DL, but I've been offered "turndown" service on CI (they move the seat into lieflat mode and put down a mattress pad) and also on the SQ 350 where the seat has to flip down. Would imagine the other Asian carriers do something similar, as flyerCO alludes to.
lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
Not on DL, but I've been offered "turndown" service on CI (they move the seat into lieflat mode and put down a mattress pad) and also on the SQ 350 where the seat has to flip down. Would imagine the other Asian carriers do something similar, as flyerCO alludes to.
Its certainly normal on ANA and JAL.

In fact, having to ask is what would be abnormal.

Another quality metric in this area of service, if there are enough empty seats, I've always been offered (on the above airlines) a separate "bedroom" so you can move between bed and seat as you wish.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ghoulish

Another quality metric in this area of service, if there are enough empty seats, I've always been offered (on the above airlines) a separate "bedroom" so you can move between bed and seat as you wish.
These airlines have more than just blanket and pillow. Asking/expecting to make bed makes sense.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
These airlines have more than just blanket and pillow. Asking/expecting to make bed makes sense.
Just a mattress pad usually in the overhead bin. It's the attentiveness that's the treat.
emma dog and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The only limitation on starting ATL-MEX is slots at MEX. The current President of Mexico in order to further his white elephant, is now requiring new flights be to the new airport. An airport that lacks even paved highway connection to Mexico City!

Yes, eventually. Couple one offs though wont hurt.

PEK is definitely not a prestige route. PVG is where the prestige is at. PEK is more of need to serve to keep China happy route.

DL/NW have never had a bed setup. They have a pillow and blanket (plus previously a smaller pillow on 12+hr flights. I would guess FA was thinking you meant make a bed like on airlines that actually make a bed for you.
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

That's crazy! So how does one get into the city once they land at the new airport? What am I missing here?

Originally Posted by Zorak
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

​​​​​​​That's really interesting. I don't remember MU FAs offering that when I flew J pre-COVID on a plane with a lie-flat. I recently flew AY A350 on two round trips and nobody offered to do anything like that either.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Delta doesn't have "Prestige Routes".

But if you fly enough miles, pilot Sam Elliot will come back and present you with a special medallion card.

Oh, wait, that's American Airlines.

lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Aug 7, 2022 at 6:56 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I love lamb, but I never had it inside an airplane.

Is that even a normal request? I've never thought of doing that.
On some airlines, such as JAL and CX, one asks the FA to make up your bed when flying in F.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by emma dog
On some airlines, such as JAL and CX, one asks the FA to make up your bed when flying in F.
Yes, pushing that button can be so fatiguing!
emma dog and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog
I guess I'm not special enough in J. I flew CX A350 to HKG in February 2020 and was not offered such a service.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:24 am

JFK-FRA and JFK-BRU are sort of interesting routes that aren't supported by the network at all, especially given the *A dominance on those routes otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.