Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is launching 4 exciting new routes, including Tahiti, Cape Town and Tel Aviv

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is launching 4 exciting new routes, including Tahiti, Cape Town and Tel Aviv

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by HohoGAP
I'm waiting for the ATL-CPT route to post for booking. Looking forward to taking the new non-stop!
Seems SCS hit a snag this morning?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM
When did I actually do this? 2001 maybe? I don't remember how long that link-up lasted. It was supposed to end up in a closer relationship and then poof. I'm in IT and I can only imagine the hoops that must have been jumped through to integrate Mileage Plus and SkyMiles for that brief period of time.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM
using Delta miles on United

Originally Posted by angetenar
Good luck redeeming Delta miles on United
I was trying to reply to this post with:

When did I actually do this? 2001 maybe? I don't remember how long that link-up lasted. It was supposed to end up in a closer relationship and then poof. I'm in IT and I can only imagine the hoops that must have been jumped through to integrate Mileage Plus and SkyMiles for that brief period of time.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Seems SCS hit a snag this morning?
The new flights were loaded last night. There's only availability for full-fare mileage award tickets right now ("NY" fare) for ATL-CPT - 320K SkyMiles one-way in coach. What a steal!

I'd give it a day or two for Delta's system to work though the changes.
N830MH and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:03 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ty97
The JV/ATI is for TATL, right? LAX-PPT wouldn't be covered by it.
the JV already Includes the AF LAX-ppt flight just as it includes any flights operated beyond Amsterdam by delta to India.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
MIA-LAX is actually a resumption of service. I’m pretty sure DL flew that route and dropped it right before COVID.
Delta has been in and out of LAX-MIA (and FLL) more times than I can count.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hard to compete against AA and at least 1 if not multiple 777s daily. Not sure of point of route.
Its a pretty big corporate market, which is why Delta keeps trying to get it to stick. This is actually one of Delta's more aggressive attempts. I think when they re-started it last time they started off with like 4x weekly 738 red-eye, then grew it.

but when you look at Delta's LAX hub, the glaring holes are MIA/FLL, ORD and then I'd say places like PHL/EWR/better service to the DC area etc. So I'm sure Delta has some corporate customers that are asking for the non-stop.
The other thing to look at is that Delta is growing some of its MIA flying (first MCO, now LAX. I'd expect some additional Florida flights to come as well) due to the LATAM JV.
Originally Posted by Smiley90
So we have UA EWR-CPT and DL ATL-CPT, only a matter of time until AA flies........ Uh...... Is DFW-CPT even flyable?
No one is adding more South African flying as a US carrier unless a new bilateral is worked out.
Originally Posted by moondog
What happened to DL's love for SEA (the airport)?
Delta still loves SEA, just happens to be that most of Asia is still closed due to COVID.
Originally Posted by lsquare
DL seems mostly interested in flying to NE Asia with its own metal and lets KE fly to the rest of Asia. I'll be shocked if DL expands elsewhere in Asia in the next couple of years.
Delta wont be expanding anywhere in Asia till things open back up. Once that happens Seattle will get all of its China/Japan/South Korea routes back. I expect at some point Delta will give SEA-HKG/SIN a go (again for HKG) at some point in the late future as well.
Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
DL tried to restart Manila in Jan 2021 from ICN but had to stop because of Philippine COVID Travel restrictions. This used to be very populat USA-Manila route whether thru NRT, KIX, NAGOYA or ICN. Wonder if thia will ever come back soon?
Probably not, at lest via ICN. Delta was flying ICN-MNL because KE was maxed out on its frequencies with the bilateral agreement between South Korea and the Philippines. With the KE/OZ merger happening, KE will be get the ability to operate a few more daily flights on ICN-MNL, which takes away the need for Delta to fly ICN-MNL.

The rumor pre-COVID was that Delta was going to try SEA-MNL. We will see if it actually happens.
Yes and my point is that when NE Asia opens up completely, I could see DL ramping up tpac flights from SEA. However, it's most likely going to rely on KE to get its passengers to the rest of Asia.

I don't think AA is going to be able to make SEA its new tpac hub anytime soon. It still hasn't launched its PVG and BLR flights yet. It also needs AS to bring in traffic to make its SEA plan work.

I don't understand why DL doesn't fly direct to MNL. You're telling me that all DL USA-MNL flights have a layover in ICN?
Yes and no. We are still waiting for the actual language on the Delta and DALPA deal on scope but supposably it is going to force Delta to grow in the international market. So We will almost certainly see some growth out of SEA to Asia. I personally am hoping that (when everything is back to normal) Delta makes a push into HKG and SIN again.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
The rumor pre-COVID was that Delta was going to try SEA-MNL. We will see if it actually happens.

Yes and no. We are still waiting for the actual language on the Delta and DALPA deal on scope but supposably it is going to force Delta to grow in the international market. So We will almost certainly see some growth out of SEA to Asia. I personally am hoping that (when everything is back to normal) Delta makes a push into HKG and SIN again.
Right now they searching Filipino flight attendant. They will find it soon and then they will start nonstop flight SEA-MNL instead of ICN. No need stop in ICN.

Yes, it will be announced SIN or SGN or BKK nonstop. Last time they tried SEA-HKG and it did not work out so well. Due to low demand. They will reinstate SIN or BKK or SGN.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
The new flights were loaded last night. There's only availability for full-fare mileage award tickets right now ("NY" fare) for ATL-CPT - 320K SkyMiles one-way in coach. What a steal!

I'd give it a day or two for Delta's system to work though the changes.
You're right. The mileage fares are in (470K+$53 one-way for economy, what a deal) but the cash fares are not loaded yet.

Will be interesting to see where this lands.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

470K is current round trip pricing (not one-way) and are YSYR2350 awards in each direction. First letter 'Y' is for coach award. The third letter, Y, is the highest award level/bucket as they just reuse coach class codes for award levels (YBMHQKLUTXV). So they will likely release lower level inventory/mileage awards at some point. The 'R' in the middle indicates a roundtrip booking is required for this award level (as with many routes these days, DL has different award levels for one-way vs. roundtrip bookings). The 2350 at the end is just the mileage amount divided by 100 (2350 x 100 = 235K each way).

The 320K one-way awards are YSY3200 fare basis code awards. Again, highest 'Y' level (third letter) as that is all they have apparently released and no roundtrip booking required (lack of 'R' in the middle of fare basis code).

For comparison, low-level ATL-JNB roundtrip non-seasonal awards in coach are currently 66K miles each way (YSVR660 awards) with seasonal awards from 62K each way (YSVR620 -- PERMITTED 26OCT THROUGH 09DEC OR 10JAN THROUGH 31MAR ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR). Note the 'V' in third letter. In addition to roundtrip booking requirement, they have a 30-day advance purchase requirement and Saturday night stay requirement (from fare rules). There are cheaper award levels from other markets. JFK-ATL-JNB lowest level roundtrip non-seasonal awards in Main are 50K each-way (YSVR500 awards). With somewhat lower seasonal roundtrip awards for 47K each-way.
lsquare, 22calbr and spongenotbob like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 30, 2022 at 10:50 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Contradancer
I was trying to reply to this post with:

Are you sure not thinking of CO and DL/NW? I don't remember MP and SM being integrated in any major way. NW/CO/DL partnered up together. You could elite upgrade on any of the three, although rules varied. Then very shortly after, CO got NWs permission to breakup and started dating UA. (NW had veto power due to stock ownership of CO)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes and my point is that when NE Asia opens up completely, I could see DL ramping up tpac flights from SEA. However, it's most likely going to rely on KE to get its passengers to the rest of Asia.

I don't think AA is going to be able to make SEA its new tpac hub anytime soon. It still hasn't launched its PVG and BLR flights yet. It also needs AS to bring in traffic to make its SEA plan work.

I don't understand why DL doesn't fly direct to MNL. You're telling me that all DL USA-MNL flights have a layover in ICN?
Part of SEA issue is capacity. Till new IAF opens no major changes for international flights.

As for AA and CPT/JNB discussion, AA has never AFAIK flown to Africa. Heck for Asia, AA didn't even fly to SIN despite UA/DL service. AA was predominantly focused on Europe and South America for the longest time.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Part of SEA issue is capacity. Till new IAF opens no major changes for international flights.

As for AA and CPT/JNB discussion, AA has never AFAIK flown to Africa. Heck for Asia, AA didn't even fly to SIN despite UA/DL service. AA was predominantly focused on Europe and South America for the longest time.
When can we expect the new SEA terminal to open? I really do hope that DL will build a decent tpac network. I would love to see HKG, TPE, SIN, and MNL in its network in the near future!

Does AA even care about Asia? They retreated from LAX and I see no evidence that they're going to make their SEA plans come to fruition.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When can we expect the new SEA terminal to open? I really do hope that DL will build a decent tpac network. I would love to see HKG, TPE, SIN, and MNL in its network in the near future!

Does AA even care about Asia? They retreated from LAX and I see no evidence that they're going to make their SEA plans come to fruition.
They claim they do in their press releases, and I predict they will take advantage of their previously allotted China frequencies again after they are reinstated. I can't envision them wasting these on Seattle though (e.g. smallish market and Delta's hub operation is much more extensive than their AS partnership).
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
They claim they do in their press releases, and I predict they will take advantage of their previously allotted China frequencies again after they are reinstated. I can't envision them wasting these on Seattle though (e.g. smallish market and Delta's hub operation is much more extensive than their AS partnership).
​​​​​​
Either they go back to LAX or make DFW work if what you say is true.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

​​​​​​
Either they go back to LAX or make DFW work if what you say is true.
They face competition in LAX from all of the major Chinese airlines. DFW is pretty much connections only, which doesn't matter for now because we don't have many choices. However, JFK-PEK might be a smart play before Air China and United get back in the game; connecting traffic isn't so important in New York. I mentioned SJC several times before so I don't want to beat the dead horse, but it seems like that's a lost opportunity (for both AA and DL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.