Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is launching 4 exciting new routes, including Tahiti, Cape Town and Tel Aviv

Delta is launching 4 exciting new routes, including Tahiti, Cape Town and Tel Aviv

Old Jul 29, 22, 11:02 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 712
Just caught this - amazing routes.
emma dog and lsquare like this.
lindros2 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:04 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PSC
Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Posts: 1,646
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
Why not atl-ppt? No competition, much better connectivity for east coast.
Good thought, only issue is the flight times to/from PPT. LAX-PPT is an 8 hour flight, just over 4k miles so you can run the route daily with a single aircraft (with 4 hour turns at either end for servicing the widebody). With 4,000 miles, you have a wide variety of widebody aircraft that would be capable of the distance. Running it from ATL-PPT means you can't use an aircraft like the 767 and you probably would have to assign 2 aircraft on the route instead of 1. So from Delta's perspective they'd rather keep running the 767's they have today ATL-LAX and offer a connection to a 1x a day LAX-PPT. It's just much better aircraft utilization.
hi55us is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:26 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 32
Does anyone know when the LAX-PPT route will become bookable? I tried searching on delta.com but just got AF flights.
freakfor747 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:29 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,474
Originally Posted by freakfor747 View Post
Does anyone know when the LAX-PPT route will become bookable? I tried searching on delta.com but just got AF flights.
Patience, my friends. They will post it on delta.com in a few days. Youll see it.
jaimemayo and lsquare like this.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:40 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 4,385
Originally Posted by freakfor747 View Post
Does anyone know when the LAX-PPT route will become bookable? I tried searching on delta.com but just got AF flights.
I asked about ATL-TLV and was told tomorrow.
lsquare and HohoGAP like this.
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:44 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seat 1A
Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Posts: 7,168
Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post
Doesn't AF already fly LAX-PPT?
The good thing is that this will now provide an overnight option for PPT-LAX on DL/AFAFs PPT-LAX is a daylight flight currently.

For LAX-PPT, DL will be a day flight while AF is overnight; for PPT-LAX it will be the opposite.
ebayj and lsquare like this.
ClipperDelta is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:51 am
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,474
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I asked about ATL-TLV and was told tomorrow.
Please be patient. They will post it on delta.com in a few days. You'll see it. Give it a chance!
lsquare likes this.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 12:34 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
Good thought, only issue is the flight times to/from PPT. LAX-PPT is an 8 hour flight, just over 4k miles so you can run the route daily with a single aircraft (with 4 hour turns at either end for servicing the widebody). With 4,000 miles, you have a wide variety of widebody aircraft that would be capable of the distance. Running it from ATL-PPT means you can't use an aircraft like the 767 and you probably would have to assign 2 aircraft on the route instead of 1. So from Delta's perspective they'd rather keep running the 767's they have today ATL-LAX and offer a connection to a 1x a day LAX-PPT. It's just much better aircraft utilization.
ATL-PPT is with-in a 763ER range including reserves. DL ran these birds on even longer SEA-PVG, and comparable SEA-PEK/ICN
lsquare likes this.
Yellowjj is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 12:44 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BUR
Programs: AA, DL Gold (earned), AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 1,557
What's baffling is DL is choosing to fly LAX-PPT on the same three days a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) as AF's LAX-PPT flights. It would've been more sensible for DL to operate on the non-AF flight days.
Oakshadow is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 12:57 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 13,222
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
What's baffling is DL is choosing to fly LAX-PPT on the same three days a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) as AF's LAX-PPT flights. It would've been more sensible for DL to operate on the non-AF flight days.
Plus AF and DL are supposed to be close partners! Figure it out!
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 1:11 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; UA PM; AA 1MM
Posts: 3,671
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Plus AF and DL are supposed to be close partners! Figure it out!
The JV/ATI is for TATL, right? LAX-PPT wouldn't be covered by it.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 1:58 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: Lowly AA Gold once again, lots of AA, AS, DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Plat Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 10,153
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Too expensive to operate. Ultralong segments require a lot of fuel to carry the weight of all the fuel they need.
Indeed. Some years ago, Air Tahiti Nui operated nonstop A340 service between New York and Papeete (and on some days this flight routed over LFT - I remember seeing the TN aircraft when it was flying at a somewhat lower altitude working its way around thunderstorms over southern Louisiana). However, it appears the route wasn't viable as it was subsequently discontinued.
jlemon is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 2:00 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seat 1A
Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Posts: 7,168
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
What's baffling is DL is choosing to fly LAX-PPT on the same three days a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) as AF's LAX-PPT flights. It would've been more sensible for DL to operate on the non-AF flight days.
AF actually flies the route 5x weekly (daily except Mon Wed). The good thing as I mentioned above is that the AF and DL flight times are completely opposite in both directions so it would still be quite helpful with the additional Delta-operated service.
ClipperDelta is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 2:03 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seat 1A
Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Posts: 7,168
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
The JV/ATI is for TATL, right? LAX-PPT wouldn't be covered by it.
Tahiti is actually included in the JV. Heres an old article about AZ joining the JV back in 2009; about a few paragraphs in:

.the joint ventures geographic scope includes all flights between North America and Europe, between Amsterdam and India, and between North America and Tahiti

https://nieuws.klm.com/alitalia-join...joint-venture/
ClipperDelta is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 3:11 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,330
So now we will have three ways (Delta, AF, Air Tahiti) to redeem Delta Miles from LAX>PPT?
Centurion is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread