Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions on taking a bump tomorrow at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for suggestions on taking a bump tomorrow at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I'm not sure hanging out at the airport for several hours waiting for this to happen sounds like a lot of fun.
That's not how bumping happens. Even if you get to the airport many hours in advance, 99% of the time bumps happen under an hour before departure. You only need to talk to the GA about an hour before departure.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure hanging out at the airport for several hours waiting for this to happen sounds like a lot of fun.
IMO it would be painful to go through the process of getting oneself to LHR, checking in and going through security twice. Just because of the lines, I'd have to be paid a lot before I would take a VDB for a flight leaving LHR.
GagaPilot, hhdl and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by pgh234
That's not how bumping happens. Even if you get to the airport many hours in advance, 99% of the time bumps happen under an hour before departure. You only need to talk to the GA about an hour before departure.
It IS how it happens. You have to get to the airport (and park, or get some kind of transport), get through border control and security, and get to the gate. And THEN wait an hour, assuming the flight isn't delayed. And then get back out of the airport. And then have an available place to stay for an additional night.

I don't know which airport you hang out at, but most of the time airports take longer than is reasonable. And you would have to do it when you've got nothing going on the next day.

Yes, it can be done. No, it's probably not as fun as it sounds.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me neither but FT has taught me to never underestimate the length’s people will go to.
hhdl and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Me neither but FT has taught me to never underestimate the length’s people will go to.
10 years or so ago I was flying FLL-somewhere-LAX - on a Sunday - just had to be there Monday morning. I think the connection was MSP but not sure now. They looked for volunteers (I was Diamond on a free upgrade) and at $400 I got off the flight. Was told the next flight was in 7 hours or so - but went on standby for a flight in an hour. Got a boarding pass and once seated - the volunteer search started again. At $400 (I think that was the max back then) I got off again. Got a slightly grouchy "You again" from the supervisor - but got my 2nd voucher. About 90 minutes later I had the same story again. Different person doing voucher though. Another hour or so later I was on a plane again. The bidding stopped at $200 - I would have gotten up again at $400.... Cost me like 4 hours and got $1200 in vouchers - and i think there were drink and food coupons. Anyhow - wasn't the worst use of a few hours on a Sunday ;-)
lindros2 and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You have to get to the airport (and park, or get some kind of transport), get through border control and security, and get to the gate.
You were going to have to do all those things to take your flight as scheduled anyway. The point of pgh234's response was that you need not go to the airport much earlier if at all, just for the purposes of fishing for a VDB.

And then get back out of the airport. And then have an available place to stay for an additional night.
100% agree that these are valid concerns, but luckily the V in VDB stands for "voluntary", so that people can pick and choose whether the amount being offered sufficiently compensates them for these additional hassles
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Zorak
100% agree that these are valid concerns, but luckily the V in VDB stands for "voluntary", so that people can pick and choose whether the amount being offered sufficiently compensates them for these additional hassles
Right! The volunteer gets to make their own decision as to what their time is worth for such a voucher. Not cash but value to a future flight that they’ll take.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by cre95
Right! The volunteer gets to make their own decision as to what their time is worth for such a voucher. Not cash but value to a future flight that they’ll take.
these days it is cash. or at minimum amazon/visa/gift card of your choice. But for a regular flyer a few hundred (or thousand $) doesn't take that long to get through.

My best bump was 2016 or 2017.. October trip JFK-LHR. we had some weather in NYC earlier in the week. So our Friday night flight was overbooked. We each got $1300 in gift cards and confirmed Delta One for the following day. We didn't' have any obligations in London until Sunday so we basically lost a shopping/relax/recovery day. not bad for $1300 each and confirmed D1.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by cre95
Absolutely.

My only point was that it's probably closer to three or four hours than one. You have to factor in leaving the airport and coming back, and the stress of having to deal with "general airport" twice.

But given one's circumstances, it can certainly make sense. If you have time and want an extra day in Europe, it's easier just to change your flight than to play "full flight lottery". If you happen to stumble onto a full flight and the alternatives work for you, it's certainly a valid choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.