Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it really a Premium Seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
ATH has a couple of Greek Dine In/Out after options after Security. Some of the dishes are pretty aromatic so you may or may not make the best of friends once in flight. Some easy options though I've seen are baked goods, cheese pies, salads etc.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Originally Posted by Daremo999
For us anyways, its about being comfortable on a 10hour flight from ATH to BOS direct. Worst case, we can just pack some decent Greek food to eat on the way home. I would much rather have the reclining seat with the leg rests than a standard seat.
I do the ATL-ICN regularly and PS is a life saver. It allows me to sleep which I can't sitting in C+ or Y. So without PS, it is a miserable 15 hrs. Yes, the food is same as Y but as you said, you can pack some food.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This was my recent "Premium Select" meal.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Daremo999
Have a trip booked to Greece with family and we are returning on Sep 7 ATH-BOS, RA fare on a A333. When looking at DL seat map, I see rows 1-9 are FC (Delta One), then it skips rows 10-19, rows 20-22 are PS (Premium Select) and then the rest of the plane continues with 23 (PE/E). When looking at SeatGuru, it shows the same 1-9 seats FC, then PE/E rows 10-42. I found more than a couple articles videos showing the new PS in the A333 so I'm hoping this is simply a case of SeatGuru not having an update seat map. I'll be highly annoyed if I paid a premium for the exact same seat as PE (C+)...
how many seats across in a single row does the DL seatmap show for PS? That's the easiest way to tell for sure which hard product you're going to get (barring any equipment swaps).
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
I do the ATL-ICN regularly and PS is a life saver. It allows me to sleep which I can't sitting in C+ or Y. So without PS, it is a miserable 15 hrs. Yes, the food is same as Y but as you said, you can pack some food.
I could care less about food on these long flights.

All I want is the seat. And the PE seats (on all airlines) are far better than Y.
lindros2 and Daremo999 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by hotturnip
This was my recent "Premium Select" meal.
Somewhere, Mr. Swanson is missing his dinner.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When DL launched PS the catering resembled something close to domestic first class meals. Thanks to Covid and cost cutting it’s been the standardized economy meal so everyone is really paying for the seat period.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The problem is that their website still promotes the food as if it's different.

Food Takes Flight

Sit back and relax as you wine and dine, enjoying a selection of wholesome food and snacks. You can also enjoy complimentary wine, beer and spirits, plus Starbucks® coffee and tea service.

MEALS
Enjoy seasonal, regional meals, inspired by Delta destinations from around the globe.
Doesn't that make it sound as if you're getting upgraded meals? And "a selection of snacks?" They didn't offer me a selection of anything, except "chicken or pasta?" and what kind of beverage I wanted.

After I get back, I'll complain about how misleading this is. Maybe they'll throw me some points.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:40 am

Oh, and they say they'll give you a TUMI amenity kit. I got nothing, nada, zilch.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
More space and comfort than C+, a lot less expensive than D1. They'll feed you, but the food is the same as the rest of economy. Maybe a premium dessert?

I do like the seats better than C+, but there is lively debate on flyertalk over whether it's worth the premium you pay. I've noticed that the section often seems pretty full, so people are buying them.
Does anyone have a sense of how many people are buying PS fares and not hoping to fly in D1 (GUC or mileage upgrade award)? Surely a bunch of the PS seats are taken by people who buy coach and use a GUC to confirm into PS, hoping for the further upgrade to D1 on the day of departure. Especially now that people have lot of GUCs that will expire fairly soon, people could show in PS because they're trying to use those GUCs.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
When PS debuted with a handful of A350 routes to Asia in 2017, food was identical to D1 minus the fine China.
Also, your domestic connecting flight was booked in F for the first few months

They have been devaluing PS long before COVID hit.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It still looks better than the picture that someone else posted with the comment that it looked worse than dog food.
dw likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip

Doesn't that make it sound as if you're getting upgraded meals?

Uh, no? There is literally nothing in that quote that compares the meal to what is in any other cabin or even implies such a comparison.

Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone have a sense of how many people are buying PS fares and not hoping to fly in D1 (GUC or mileage upgrade award)? Surely a bunch of the PS seats are taken by people who buy coach and use a GUC to confirm into PS, hoping for the further upgrade to D1 on the day of departure. Especially now that people have lot of GUCs that will expire fairly soon, people could show in PS because they're trying to use those GUCs.
I would guess less than 10% of PS seats are occupied by someone using a GUC. I have zero data, this is just completely on feel.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I would guess less than 10% of PS seats are occupied by someone using a GUC. I have zero data, this is just completely on feel.

How could anyone other than Delta possibly know this?

I don't see too many empty D1 seats at takeoff. I don't know how they're getting filled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.