Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Int'l > Domestic Bag Recheck at Ohare T5

Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

Anybody know if Delta has a baggage recheck for international to domestic in Terminal 5 at O'Hare. I have separate tickets for international and domestic flights.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If both tickets are DL or DL plus a close partner, DL will check bags through on separate tickets, assuming no MCT violations.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody know if Delta has a baggage recheck for international to domestic in Terminal 5 at O'Hare. I have separate tickets for international and domestic flights.
DL doesn't have international flights at ORD.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
How soon are you flying? I think Sept 10, 2022 is the rumored date for when DL moves it’s domestic operations to ORD T5. As pointed out, DL has no international flights on their own metal from ORD.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are international DL codeshares, but OP is an experienced traveler and presumably would be aware of this and aware also that the bag would be checked with the operating carrier for the first segment.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that DL does not fly internationally out of ORD and that they currently do not fly domestic out of T5. What I would like to know is if if they have a baggage recheck facility (like many other airlines) outside of customs in T5.

If anyone knows for sure.... tks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

I think I found the answer.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Transferring baggage at Ohare is at your own responsibility, even if your bag tags have the final destination on them. I have done this from KLM and AF flights to Delta flights, the last time about 16 months ago. You have to take your bags through customs and then onto the tram that links the international terminal to wherever your Delta flight is leaving from, stand in line and re-check it there. Delta at the time did not have a way to re-check bags at the international terminal. It was a BIG pain to lug skis and stuff, I have been avoiding international ORD transfers ever since.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that DL does not fly internationally out of ORD and that they currently do not fly domestic out of T5. What I would like to know is if if they have a baggage recheck facility (like many other airlines) outside of customs in T5.

If anyone knows for sure.... tks in advance.
At this moment, they do not. As posted by others you will need to claim your baggage then use the ATS over to T2 and recheck. This issue goes away once DL moves over to T5 in a few months.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I did this in March - KL AMS - ORD - then immediately connected DL ORD - ATL... 2 separate tickets. They DO NOT have any sort of recheck possibilities; believe me, I looked high and low because I was traveling by myself with lots of baggage, and it was a real pain in the a$$..

When I left the customs hall. I immediately went to both AA and UA's counter and asked. Nothing - also asked a skycap in the area and he told me to check with AA because they would recheck for DL (which was totally false..). I ended up having to somehow manage to get my bags onto the train and over to the DL terminal.

However, on the outbound - ATL- ORD - AMS it worked fine to thru check (even on 2 sperate tickets) - agent in ATL entered the second KL ticket info and printed tags all the way to my final destination. No problem and DL transferred the bags to KL . It just wont work when entering the US through ORD and connecting onward on DL. AT least not in March 2022. Good luck
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Tks for the replies everybody. Guess I'll book the domestic leg on UA or AA, but definitely not DL. No interest in schlepping my bags onto the train.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta PM
Can't wait for DL to move into a brand new T5 at ORD! Does anyone have an update on the opening day?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crossinator
Can't wait for DL to move into a brand new T5 at ORD! Does anyone have an update on the opening day?
As noted above, the most recent updates indicate they will be moving into T5 on September 10th (move will occur the night of Sep 9th). There's a consolidated thread on ORD T5 remodel and move. The gates DL will be using aren't really "brand new" as they are just doing some remodeling on them for DL. The new DL Sky Club (which will serve as consolidated Skyteam lounge) will be brand new though.
Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

FYI, Southwest now looks to be using M14-M16 gates at T5. Below appears to be the last WN arrival into M4-M6 gates before they closed gates for remodeling --
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...325Z/KDAL/KORD

F9 moved their domestic flights over to MDW a few months ago.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 25, 2022 at 10:00 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.