Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Airport Gates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Which gates in E can handle the 380s?
If I remember the QR A380 fiasco correctly, E1 can handle an A380, but E3 becomes unavailable and E5 can only be used by a narrowbody. I think T1 can technically park an A380 as well, but that becomes an immigration separation nightmare.
DavidDTW likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
International arrival into E rather than F can matter (even if you don't have a checked bag) if you purchased liquid such as alcohol in duty-free and cannot take the liquid through TSA security. It similarly matters due to the liquid problem if you plan to take the plane train back to the domestic terminal for public transportation (or a parked car at the "wrong" terminal) rather than waiting for the infrequent and inconvenient shuttle bus between the international and domestic terminals.
Ah very good point MSP. I'm Atlanta based so its very very very rare that I have to make any kind of international connection here. Last time I did so was before F was even a thing.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have had several domestic flights out of F. The plane came from an international destination.
You will see domestic out of E/F. Either. as you said, a domestic rotation off of a international flight. Sometimes wide bodies just in general due to T/A gates being full or you see it a lot during IROPS.
Originally Posted by UnevenGray
If I remember the QR A380 fiasco correctly, E1 can handle an A380, but E3 becomes unavailable and E5 can only be used by a narrowbody. I think T1 can technically park an A380 as well, but that becomes an immigration separation nightmare.
I believe space wise T1 would be able to handle an A380 but would obviously be a pain in the ... due to one jetway. Then as you said, if it is an international flight, lots and lots and lots of busses would be needed to get people to customs.

but I thought the city also converted one of the gates on F to handle the A380 as well?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

but I thought the city also converted one of the gates on F to handle the A380 as well?
I flew out of F2 last Thurs and there were signs at F3 for upper level and lower level (or something like that) boarding.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
According to ATL Next, E3 (with auxiliary jetway E3A) and F3 (with auxiliary jetway F3A) can handle A380s. I will add T1 and E1 as gates-of-last-resort, which brings the A380-capable to F3, E3, E1, and T1, roughly ordered in terms of (my imagined) preference.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
International arrival into E rather than F can matter (even if you don't have a checked bag) if you purchased liquid such as alcohol in duty-free and cannot take the liquid through TSA security. It similarly matters due to the liquid problem if you plan to take the plane train back to the domestic terminal for public transportation (or a parked car at the "wrong" terminal) rather than waiting for the infrequent and inconvenient shuttle bus between the international and domestic terminals.
I don't quite follow this -- can you explain further here? I am not sure how E vs. F matters for an international arrival / security. I am ATL-based as well, so I never connect in ATL, but frequently try to help family/friends that are flying through ATL with their questions. When flying into ATL from an international destination, aren't you sent to a specific security line for a connecting domestic flight?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by UnevenGray
According to ATL Next, E3 (with auxiliary jetway E3A) and F3 (with auxiliary jetway F3A) can handle A380s. I will add T1 and E1 as gates-of-last-resort, which brings the A380-capable to F3, E3, E1, and T1, roughly ordered in terms of (my imagined) preference.
ipAre T1 and e1 designated a380 or is that just your speculation?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
I have absolutely seen a KE A380 at T1 before.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by businesstino
I don't quite follow this -- can you explain further here? I am not sure how E vs. F matters for an international arrival / security. I am ATL-based as well, so I never connect in ATL, but frequently try to help family/friends that are flying through ATL with their questions. When flying into ATL from an international destination, aren't you sent to a specific security line for a connecting domestic flight?
It doesn't really matter whether you came into E or F. If you need to clear customs in Atlanta, you'll have to make it to F for that. You'll be routed from your flight accordingly without needing to go through TSA. At F, you'll clear customs and pick up any luggage you checked in. If you bought duty free at your starting airport, you'll need to fit all these liquids into your luggage since you won't be able to clear TSA with more than the few ounces they allow for your connecting domestic flight.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Originally Posted by exwannabe
In that case, to elaborate a bit,

. I have never seen a domestic departure out of F though.
They happen. I had a CR9 once take me to some southeast destination out of F. It was a quick out-and-back for the plane and crew, so probably just a deviation from its normal operational schedule to fill in aircraft downtime. Same for other A/C types like arriving morning widebodies from South America heading out to Florida or West Coast destinations before returning to ATL for the Europe departures in the late afternoon.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:29 am

T1 and E1 have been used for A380s before E3 and F3 were used. So, in a hypothetical world where 3 A380s are on the ground in ATL at the same time, E1 and T1 could be used.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cre95
It doesn't really matter whether you came into E or F. If you need to clear customs in Atlanta, you'll have to make it to F for that. You'll be routed from your flight accordingly without needing to go through TSA. At F, you'll clear customs and pick up any luggage you checked in. If you bought duty free at your starting airport, you'll need to fit all these liquids into your luggage since you won't be able to clear TSA with more than the few ounces they allow for your connecting domestic flight.
I thought they had changed bringing liquids through TSA that were purchased at Duty Free. Last time I did this at JFK on a connection, TSA noted that it was duty free, did a separate scan of the item on their machine, and let me take it through to my connecting flight. Is this not the case in Atlanta?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I thought they had changed bringing liquids through TSA that were purchased at Duty Free. Last time I did this at JFK on a connection, TSA noted that it was duty free, did a separate scan of the item on their machine, and let me take it through to my connecting flight. Is this not the case in Atlanta?
Theyre fine if you follow these rules: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Theyre fine if you follow these rules: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Last month I was connecting from CUN with a bottle purchased at duty free. TSA agent saw the bag and said "You have to go back and check it or we will dispose it". I politely declined both options and asked for a supervisor. Supervisor arrived and she immediately started telling him that I was bringing prohibited items, to which the supervisor answered that she needed to re-read the duty free liquid rules. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know the rules and doesn't know how to escalate the situation to a supervisor, because normally they are taken advantage of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.